Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2020, 12:48 PM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad3675 View Post
I've found the steps outlined in this weightweenies post spot on:

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...c.php?t=159147

John
Awesome. This looks a lot like what is posted above too. I'll try this today.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
So I will fully admit that I'm not the best mechanic in the world, but I really suck when it comes to setting up recent year front derailleurs. I can get them lined up correctly, the limits all done up, but I can't for the life of me get them tensioned correctly.

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

The limits are fine and I have no issues when shifting the derailleur by pulling the cable, but I get bubkiss when I try to shift with the actual lever. Just a bunch of stubborn clicks. These are brand new cables and I just moved the Campagnolo group over from one bike to another where it was working fine.

So, I think I just replicated your issue. This was with a centaur groupset. Everything was good but the front shifter would not move with the shifter. Pulling the cable directly worked but not the shifter. Turns out with the centaur groupset, if the shifter clamps (which hold the shifters to the handlebar) are tightened to the specified torque but the shifters are a little high on the bars, something crimps the system and the shifter refuses to work. You have to lower the shifters and tighten them down in small increments to a point where they are tight enough but don't "crimp". I have recently set up a H11 system that did not have this issue.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:31 PM
Shifty Member

So tried everything and can't get it to shift. It moves with the shifter, but barely. But I can get it to move easily by pulling the cable. Baffling to me, so I'm gonna take it to my lbs and have them look at it. Weird especially since I literally took the bars from one bike and transferred them over, cut new housing, and ran new cables.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:41 PM

It really sounds like the cable housing isn't seated in the lever, that the housing is merely taped to the bars at this point.

At first this also sounded like the cable perhaps isn't running straight inside of the frame, as has already been mentioned. Can you detect any cable elasticity between the DT entry point and where the cable emerges behind the bb shell?

Last edited by dddd; 09-18-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:04 PM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
It really sounds like the cable housing isn't seated in the lever, that the housing is merely taped to the bars at this point.

At first this also sounded like the cable perhaps isn't running straight inside of the frame, as has already been mentioned. Can you detect any cable elasticity between the DT entry point and where the cable emerges behind the bb shell?
The first option is completely possible. I'll remove the bar tape to check it out. The routing is all external and seems to have a constant amount of tension from the cable stops all the way under the bb and up to the FD.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
So tried everything and can't get it to shift. It moves with the shifter, but barely. But I can get it to move easily by pulling the cable. Baffling to me, so I'm gonna take it to my lbs and have them look at it. Weird especially since I literally took the bars from one bike and transferred them over, cut new housing, and ran new cables.

I'm thinking the cable isn't thru the hole in the take up spool...Best way to ensure it's 'in there' is to string it with the lever in your hand..and a new inner wire with soldered end..particularly the LH lever.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:23 PM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I'm thinking the cable isn't thru the hole in the take up spool...Best way to ensure it's 'in there' is to string it with the lever in your hand..and a new inner wire with soldered end..particularly the LH lever.
So guess what? You're absolutely right. Clipped the cable and slowly pulled it through and was able to see that it missed the hole. Grabbed another new cable and set everything up in 20 minutes. Had no idea that I could miss it, but won't make that mistake again. Thanks

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad3675 View Post
I've found the steps outlined in this weightweenies post spot on:

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...c.php?t=159147

John
Yes, its complicated but Cal had it right.

RIP Cal. He was a good dude.