Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 08:02 PM
Road connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Some say about taking the fork out like its that big of a deal. Takes 5 minutes. Also I am on a disc bike and it was very simple.
Down with disc forks with internal cable routing!

An Orucase user here, but I would say the same as the above, and I’m typically travelling with 650Bx48s (650Bs saving space over an equivalent volume 700C) and mudguards/fenders. Oh, and down with internal cable routing!

ISO tab discs are also nice to pack for travel because there’s no need for adjustment when you remount them. Oh, and down with internal cable routing!

— John
Old 09-18-2020, 08:03 PM

I’m looking at a move back stateside in the coming months and want to bring a bike on the plane with me since anything I ship will take minimum 8 weeks. Not a travel bike so need to fit a full frame in the 54-55cm size. Its a long, multi segment journey, so something durable is important... but want something I’ll use in the future, too... and the Post Carry looks kindof ideal.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:06 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbay View Post
Down with disc forks with internal cable routing!

An Orucase user here, but I would say the same as the above, and I’m typically travelling with 650Bx48s (650Bs saving space over an equivalent volume 700C) and mudguards/fenders. Oh, and down with internal cable routing!

ISO tab discs are also nice to pack for travel because there’s no need for adjustment when you remount them. Oh, and down with internal cable routing!

— John
Yes my bike has external routing for both fork and frame but I never removed neither cables or calipers of the frame, only thing I took off was the RD.

But I am with you, screw internal routing on anythinf bike. Frame, fork, handlebars...
Old 09-18-2020, 08:06 PM

I traveled often with the Scicon, new gen soft case Aerocomfort, both nationally and internationally and never had a single issue. I always remove the RD though and I wrap the HB shifters in foam. Maybe I was lucky but I did too many trips with no issues which led me to believe the Scicon are really good. Because the bag has also wheels it is a breeze to transport it around the terminal.
If you worried, you can always insure your bike. The bike insurance policy can have add ons for travels if I recall correctly.

Every time I went to a place where I rented the bike I wished I could experience that trip with my own bike.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:20 PM
Road connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Yes my bike has external routing for both fork and frame but I never removed neither cables or calipers of the frame, only thing I took off was the RD.
Nice! The Orucase has a sleeve for the fork that sits on top or the rear triangle and I have to remove the front brake to get it in there.

One of my bikes has a seat stay mounted disc caliper, so I pop that one off too so it can travel between the seat stays.

I also typically undo cables at their front-most attachment point on the frame in order to give me a little more leeway in positioning the handlebars in the case, but I could see skipping that step if I was pressed for time.

Oh, and down with internal cable routing!

— John
Old 10-02-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donalrey View Post
Pika Packworks – This is hands down my favorite bike case/bag. It’s unassuming and can usually fly under the radar with airlines. It’s light and the bike packs easily and secure. Like the Thule Round Trip Pro XT it opens from the top so it’s easier for TSA to check. It’s also very, very light. The only thing is that it doesn’t have a wheel for rolling but it’s light enough for me to carry it around.
Does anyone have the EEP 29er? Does it measure under 62" or will it incurr oversize fees? What about the Orucase B2XL? I know that is oversize when measured as a rectangle but the trapezoid shape reduces the measured size afaik - does it do so enough to go below 62" at which the gate agent would charge oversize fees?

TIA.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
One thing I discovered is that on the Buxum Tourmalet box (H1 size if your bike will fit in that) is that if you are shipping BikeFlights or ShipBikes (UPS or FedEx) you can remove the caster wheels and supports/post from inside the box and then put the wheels back on when you get the box delivered to you. By doing that you can get the box to be 130 linear inches the way they measure (length plus two times (height plus width)). In that way you avoid the significant upcharge that kicks in over that size that happens with all of the other hard cases that I looked into.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m looking into purchasing a Tourmalet. What are the dimensions once the wheels/posts are removed? How easy is it to remove them?
Thanks

Last edited by Ccardello; 08-01-2022 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Adding more content
Old 08-06-2022, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccardello View Post
I’m looking into purchasing a Tourmalet. What are the dimensions once the wheels/posts are removed? How easy is it to remove them?
Thanks
I just saw your post quoting my post. Unfortunately the boxes I have are in my storage place at moment. But if you email Ed Morris at Buxum he is very willing to help out in my experience. When I ordered the Tourmalet came in 3 different sizes. I got the H1 (because it is all that I need given the fact that my wife and I are both in the small-small medium size range). I found an email from Ed in my old mail and it says “ From the CAD model, I make height 755.2mm without wheels/caster - does that help?”. Unfortunately I don’t have any email with the other dimensions and, as I said above, the boxes are in my storage place (behind a ton of other stuff). I can measure in a couple of days if you can’t get ahold of Ed. I find the wheels/caster piece not horrible to take off. I prefer not to do it because I am not a fan of putting stuff on and taking it off. Just thinks it wears stuff out sooner. But I have done it. Not easy peasy but not a pita either. Took maybe 15 minutes for both boxes.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccardello View Post
Thanks
Just found an earlier email in which he gave other dimensions. This email was from 12/31/19 so it may not be the latest and greatest. I do not know if they changed anything in the past 2 years or so. I only point that out because you will note he talks about dimensions on the “latest iteration”. And my post above is how to deal with the dimensions with the wheels/casters putting it over linear dimensions for shipping. Note that without wheels/casters the version that I have (early 2020 construction) the height goes to what I said above.

This is what he said on dimensions back then…” To make sure we’re using the correct baseline data, I’ve gone back and accurately measured overall dimensions of latest iteration of Tourmalet - it’s L 1157mm, H 788mm and W 309mm (we’ll update website shortly). Based on max Fedex length+girth of 130”, we’re working with a maximum height of 763mm - this should be possible.”

Note that the wheels removal brings my box down to 755 which makes it all within linear…but again I don’t know if that is the current iteration of the box so check with Ed.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:12 AM

I have a Tri All 3 Sports hard case with fork QR built in. I got it for my XL carbon tri bike, works really well, plenty of space for helmet, shoes, etc....

I rent it to folks in Los Angeles that need a 1x case, in light of its retail tag.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:15 AM

The s&s soft case is the ultimate way to go IME but of course you need a frame with couplers. Anything bigger than that and taxis, trains, etc… become an issue.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:38 PM

I'm about to travel with my S&S coupled bike for the first time. I'm a little nervous about using the soft case but it's a super simple singlespeed build so hopefully it's not too beat up!
Old 08-07-2022, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veer96 View Post
I'm about to travel with my S&S coupled bike for the first time. I'm a little nervous about using the soft case but it's a super simple singlespeed build so hopefully it's not too beat up!
Pack the outside pockets with all your clothes and it’s really well protected.
Old 08-07-2022, 06:30 PM

I just bought a Scicon case - doesn't require taking out saddle, adjusting bars, etc. Just take the wheels off, strap the bike in, and zip it up. Took me 15 minutes to pack the first time including watching their video. Probably under 10 minutes the second time. Super easy!

If you're gonna spend big money on a case, check the Scicon out. Much nicer than old style hard cases.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:40 AM

Do people with disc bikes always remove the rotors when traveling?

I thought about a velo orange neutrino as a travel bike- since it’s easy to get to/from the airport, but this has me hesitating to go this route