Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 08:46 PM

Rick at D&D Cycles in California does Ritchey repaints as well as any other & gets good reviews afaik
(510) 278-2976

https://www.yelp.com/biz/d-and-d-cycles-san-lorenzo
Old 09-17-2020, 09:59 PM

http://www.blackmagicpaint.com/

http://www.darkmatterfinishing.com/

I swear I post these every 6 months or so. Can't go wrong with either.

My paint cost $1,250 for multicolor about 2 years ago or so. Weight? Really? Leave a water bottle at home.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Have owned and own a number of Wanta resprays. When he’s good, he’s very, very good. When he’s off, he’s very, very off. Several friends have been less than happy with his work. Personally, have only had to send one back for a respray.

Also own four frames resprayed by Jack at Franklin Frames. Excellent and consistent quality, would recommend him without reserve. In fact, have one ready to ship out to him as we speak.

Hard to get a decent job for less than $450 or so, depending on complexity. Rechroming adds like a zillion dollars to the equation. Shipping is a minor cost issue when considering the overall value of the finished product.
I have to second this ^

Jack has done frame repair, restoration and repainting for me. When I got the frame back, my first thought was "I didn't pay this guy enough money". To this day, when I look at his work I'm stunned by the quality.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:32 AM

While my list is canadian, our dollar is bad so probably levels out shipping.

Chris Dekerf does repaints. Prices on his website seem reasonable. Considering how good my abused 25yr old man looks, and his experience with ti, he'd be a good choice.

Having had velocolour do a touch up on my bike did visited them, they'd for sure do a great job.

Final wildcard, is toxik Harold from Vancouver. He does lots of vintage mountain bikes and was the painter for Paul Brodie.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:59 AM

Milquetost

Hey, I was being honest. My Wanta paint was not good. But others have been elated with theirs. So yeah, my "endorsement " was probably somewhere in the middle. But since his cost is better than most I thought I'd toss his name out there.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a more ringing milquetoast endorsement.
Never again.
When I decide which vintage steel gets repainted and when, they'll be going someplace else, such as Franklin Frames in Ohio.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:13 AM
cmg

check out Red-D_bikes custom in San Antonio, Tx . http://www.red-dbikes.com/ They did a Lynskey for me. Came out pretty cool. Strip off old finish and do this partial for about $600 or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lynskey 1B.jpg (73.2 KB, 113 views)
Old 09-18-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Hey, I was being honest. My Wanta paint was not good. But others have been elated with theirs. So yeah, my "endorsement " was probably somewhere in the middle. But since his cost is better than most I thought I'd toss his name out there.
Wanta painted my Merckx Corsa01 formerly Belgian colors, changed to 7-Eleven. He did a magnificent job. Couldn't have been happier.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:25 AM

Exactly as I stated. Some had great results, me and others not so much. I should have sent mine back but already waited a few months to get it back. Plus I would have had to pay shipping again. But the finishing was piss poor. Over spray in a few spots to where the paint actually ran. Poor sanding in spots. Lumpy in others. Glad I have a couple Moots without paint and a factory finished Serotta with panels. Life is good. (I sold the resprayed bike )
Old 09-18-2020, 02:00 PM

Paint weight can add up...If that matters to you

It doesn't seem like it should add that much but it can. In my 40+ years of building composite toys it's been a design consideration on numerous products. Golf shafts, tennis racquets, fishing poles, hockey sticks, etc. And of course bicycles.

In the case of some of the bike frames I've worked on it seems like it was less of a design consideration than an issue after the fact. Typically a project would start off with a goal of keeping a frame under some number, say 1000g. Certainly not that hard to do depending on the type of construction but when the frame gets slathered with multiple coats of color/clear it could easily add another 200+g. That's one of the reasons "nude" carbon frames became so popular.

Once again, this only matters if the customer cares. My experience with the Holland frames I'm involved with indicates that some do and some don't. At this point about 30% of the frames get painted and the coating weight doesn't seem to be a major concern. JB, who paints all the frames, is great at keeping the coating thickness as thin as possible but depending on the style of finish required it takes more material to achieve that deep luster some folks like so much on carbon. Even at that he's only adding about 80-90g to the frame weight. On the other hand, he did my last Meivici with a satin clear that was incredibly thin and I bet it didn't add 40g. Not that I cared in the least... All depends on the look desired by the customer.

Makes me think of some of the frames I saw while working for Serote. They were beautiful of course but once again, depending on the style, required lots of paint to achieve the desired result. One frame in particular that comes to mind was a customer bike that was shipped to me because it had a "deep hole through the chainstay". When it arrived I found that it actually had a chip in the clearcoat that went down to the carbon but not through it. I measured it's depth at 1mm which made it easy to mistake as a hole through the part but was in fact just a hell of a lot of paint. So much so that the lug lines had virtually disappeared as well.

Bottom line is that paint does add weight and in some cases a lot of weight. If that matters to you, keep it simple and that will make it easier for the painter to keep it thin.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:42 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
The cost of a paint job can vary a lot depending on quality of the work, how much prep is needed, complexity of paint job and decals/graphics.

I would say the weight of paint is 150-200 grams.
I am in the process of repainting a frame. It was 950g stripped and sanded, with base filler, paint and clear coat its now 1050