Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2020, 02:34 PM
'97 Ti Legend

11 speed XTR FC-M9000/9020 chainring nut problem

OK, I've never been happy with my crank decisions on my Ibis Ripley, I started with "Old Creeky," some e-thirteen cranks that were on sale that came with a e-thirteen BB that was worthless. I wouldn't sell this squeaky boat anchor to my worst enemy. I swapped to some fancier creeky BB that worked fine briefly, but thenit started creeking as bad as the e-thirteen BB. I eventually fixed everything with one of those BB that thread together into the press-fit frame, and picked up an XT 1x single ring crank. It worked perfectly, of course, but folks talked trash about Shimano's pre-narrow-wide ring (it worked fine, never dropped a chain) but never one to leave well enough alone, and always really wanting a shiny XTR crank on there, and siting around with a credit card and a broken big toe not actually able to ride for another three weeks, I figured it was a perfect time to upgrade.

**Bit of an aside, but alway make sure your Kuat rack is actually latched into the horizontal position before you let it go, even if it made the clicking noise...and if you don't, be sure to not put your foot right under the spot it swings down and contacts the ground. Ask me how I know.**

Coincidently, when Shimano 12 speed XTR cranks were released, the 11 speed FC-M9020 XTR cranks went to deep discount, under $200 at some places, but only selectively. The 2x version was cheap--and I think they will literally pay you to take a 3x crank, but the 1x was still generally on offer at its MSRP of ~$500. I did some reading and learned that the 1x and 2x cranks were basically the same, except for the rings attached, and the 1x narrow-wide Shimano XTR rings were on sale for $39 (for the 32 tooth @ Universal if you need one). Seemed like a no brainer, $250 delivered for XTR magic, I'm a sucker for for the shine...but, the ring has a sticker saying that I need to use a 1x special XTR fixing nut (shockingly not on sale, with a MSRP of...$99, for 4 bolts and four shapely nuts).

Now, I know Shimano would never be dishonest about compatibility, but do I really need these? The 2x bolts and nuts hold it on, I may want more teeth engaged, is there a shortcut, or a workaround? I have these 24/34 rings with bolts and the 2x nuts. Maybe I should offer a trade? Or get longer bolts? Anyone deal with these? Or do I really need to order a set of nuts and bolts that cost half what the crankset does, with 2 chainrings eight bolts and two double nuts.

I don't assume it is an easy fix, but maybe one of you has some advice, or a set of single speed nuts for the M9000/M9020 crank? I'd appreciate any advice.

Last edited by DRZRM; 09-02-2020 at 02:39 PM.