Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
she's 55
But she looks 77.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:28 AM

Nothing new here, it's US Pro summer crit racing. Nothing new here.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Would that subject be a skeleton or a dried up corpse?
I think USAC has been dying for years. I finally gave up on it a couple years ago after almost 30 years. I love riding and racing and into my mid 50's enjoyed racing against cat 1/2/3. But when I did age category races, I found that with each jump to the next level, the quality of the human generally went down. It got to the point where I didn't want to be part of it.
Conversely, I play in USA Hockey's equivalent of Cat1 (tier1-ex professional/college) and the atmosphere is quite different. Good competition, but also a lot of camaraderie and sportsmanship. I prefer to be around that.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
that was clear as day... talking about the end of the clip
He did lol.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
there have been dominant teams (or clubs) since the beginning of time. when i showed up it was crc/a (later raleigh) p.a.a., nhw, and pedali alpini out west, kirby cc and liverpool mercury in england, a.c.b.b. in paris - i'll stop now.

what's changed is the amount of testosterone or ego or braggadocio that some bring to the peloton, as if any of their Cat 1 or D3 level result matters in the real world. trash talking in cycling is a relatively new phenomenon.

i don't like it. actually, i think it's stupid. and unprofessional. i think it should be called out too, rather than celebrated or even pointed to on social media as if it's mildly acceptable. but i also know these are different times.

there's that line in chinatown about "forget it, jake" etc etc etc. i'm at that point in life where i look at stories like this, and consider about the arena we all play in, and come away thinking it's their sport now. good luck with it.
This, this, this.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Ahh the days of yore were so much simpler, when pros just laid down their bike (with friction shifters), busted out a 2x4 and went about doing what they needed to do.

For the record, Gaggioli got his a$$ handed to him in that encounter and unlike in professional wrestling where there is always a conveniently placed folding chair, all that he could find to try to even the score was a 2x4. As an aside, I had occasion to ride with Jonny Sundt for a few days about a decade ago ( motorpaced he and some teammates as well) …great guy and fabulous bike handler BTW. That incident had occurred about a year before. So after a couple of rides I asked him what really happened and all of his teammates laughed. I don’t even recall the events leading up to the encounter, but recall that he did have a role as a bit of an “enforcer” if things got stupid, and they did. Anyhow, he related that he had a number of older brothers and got his a$$ beaten on a daily basis growing up, so taking a punch or two was nothing to him. The quote from him as I remember it was that once it was really going to come to fists, “There wasn’t much to it, it was just a handful of hair and fist to face”. He regretted the situation and thought it was bad for the sport…and I respect him for that.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:02 PM

After years of dishing it out, Gag got what he deserved in that situation

He rode for big teams for a number of years where he could dole out the sharp elbow and not pay the piper. He had a lot of teammates who could look out for him. When he was like 87 and riding for a crap team in little towns it came to an end. At one point he was a hammer, but that was like 1990. Dude hung around like a particularly smelly fart

The #metoo movement would have had a field day with him. He was a predator in many ways. Hopefully, he's been deported

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
For the record, Gaggioli got his a$$ handed to him in that encounter and unlike in professional wrestling where there is always a conveniently placed folding chair, all that he could find to try to even the score was a 2x4. As an aside, I had occasion to ride with Jonny Sundt for a few days about a decade ago ( motorpaced he and some teammates as well) …great guy and fabulous bike handler BTW. That incident had occurred about a year before. So after a couple of rides I asked him what really happened and all of his teammates laughed. I don’t even recall the events leading up to the encounter, but recall that he did have a role as a bit of an “enforcer” if things got stupid, and they did. Anyhow, he related that he had a number of older brothers and got his a$$ beaten on a daily basis growing up, so taking a punch or two was nothing to him. The quote from him as I remember it was that once it was really going to come to fists, “There wasn’t much to it, it was just a handful of hair and fist to face”. He regretted the situation and thought it was bad for the sport…and I respect him for that.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:42 PM

I love this place, a bunch of geezers who wax on about Gag, who was a mid level bike racer, other than the CoreStates fluke.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
I love this place, a bunch of geezers who wax on about Gag, who was a mid level bike racer, other than the CoreStates fluke.
US crit and road racing has all of the ambiance of an afternoon at the dog track, and none of the charm.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:36 PM

Is it the white new balance sneakers or the XXL rain jacket that on a sunny, 89 degree day that gives us away? Hold on, helmet mirror is a dead giveaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Old 06-20-2021, 07:47 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Is it the white new balance sneakers or the XXL rain jacket that on a sunny, 89 degree day that gives us away? Hold on, helmet mirror is a dead giveaway
Nope, it’s the black knee high socks and the SPD sandals.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:58 PM
Rockstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
US crit and road racing has all of the ambiance of an afternoon at the dog track, and none of the charm.
That's funny. I had no idea this kind of sentiment was in place. Why is everyone so down on US cycling, aside from the poor sportsmanship in the video. I can get how crit racing relies on a zero sum game of shoulders. That's what turned me off to it in my first races ever, at like 10 or 11 yo. I crashed to come in second in the series.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Ahh, c'mon, did you never spend a drunken afternoon on Lemon Hill?
Old 06-22-2021, 01:21 AM

If it hasn't been said

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post

I’m glad Amity Rockwell called them out for the misogyny in their trash talking. Take some lessons on trash talking with style, guys. Maybe watch some old Gary Payton footage.
Maybe a black guy whose team raised 150k on gofundme due to the racial unrest of 2020 and whose leader connected their racing at Tulsa Tough to the more important history of Juneteenth shouldn't call a white guy a hick? These guys all need better handlers....

Last edited by barnabyjones; 06-22-2021 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:18 AM

When dudes who smuggle plums in their favorite skin suit get in a competitive situation, they'll probably use bad words and get a little chippy. The ladies, not so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyjones View Post
Maybe a black guy whose team raised 150k on gofundme due to the racial unrest of 2020 and whose leader connected their racing at Tulsa Tough to the more important history of Juneteenth shouldn't call a white guy a hick? These guys all need better handlers....