Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2024, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainNoise View Post
Brooks C13 or C15. I rode narrow saddles until I switched to a Brooks. I'm now on a 145mm C15. These saddles are essentially flexible hammocks. Soooo comfortable! I don't think you'd need padding with this one since they are so flexible. It smoothed out the ride significantly for me and I'm only 130lbs.
Saddles are so individual. The C13 was the worst ass-hatchet I've ever ridden. Wanted to love it because it looks like a saddle spaceship. Did not love it.
Old 04-08-2024, 03:17 PM

Unless you have the most symmetrical hips & legs & feet on the planet seriously small micro adjustments to your cleats & fit can have a huge effect on how the saddle feels.

Even the left/right angle of the saddle, a tiny almost impossible to see misalignment can make a difference in how the sitbones feel.

As long as I get all that right I can't seem to beat the Arione. I can ride those forever and ever as long as the bike is dialed in.
Old 04-08-2024, 04:58 PM

Try a Berthoud saddle. Leather, like a Brooks, but they need little or no break-in and the leather is user-replaceable if you get caught out in a downpour or wreck it some other say. I have two Brooks saddles, one Berthoud; I like the Berthoud better. And they do have a narrow model, similar to a Swift.
Old 04-08-2024, 05:30 PM

Well since you asked...

I'm lanky, boney/narrow butt and fluctuate between 165-180#. Over the years I've tried a few saddles.

I've liked both Brooks b17 and the swallow saddles, but no luck with cambiums. I've tried the c13 carved, c15 carved, and regular c17. Not comfortable at all with bib shorts for me, and even on a short commute (without padded shorts) outright painful on my sitbones. Some people love the cambiums and I agree that they look cool but I would rate as unbearable for me.

I've had good luck with the fabric scoop flat saddle on road bikes. Ti rails are nice but creak so you have to fill the gap between the rails with epoxy.

WTB rocket has been on my mtn bike and gravel bike for years, probably the most comfortable saddle I use, either with bibs or even fine without padded shorts. Looks sorta bulky on a road bike if you care for those things. Not too bad pricewise either even with the ti rails.

Last edited by lorenbike; 04-08-2024 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:35 AM

Not a recommendation, but cadex boost is the best.

The shape is far important vs. narrow or wide.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenbike View Post

WTB rocket has been on my mtn bike and gravel bike for years, probably the most comfortable saddle I use, either with bibs or even fine without padded shorts. Looks sorta bulky on a road bike if you care for those things. Not too bad pricewise either even with the ti rails.
Came here to endorse the same. +1 for the WTB Rocket with ti rails. I think the narrow is a 135.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the recommendations so far, though I think the thread has become about comfort in general, rather than the specific issue of relieving pressure on my inflamed ischial bursa. I have tried some other saddles. I used to quite like my Fizik Aliante, which I have in a couple of versions. But because of the convex shape of the wings, it puts more pressure on the sit bone than the Berk, which has a slight concavity on the wings. This is why I'm intrigued by the Infinity saddles (which I'd never heard of before), since in theory they seem to take all pressure off the sit bones.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onno View Post
Thanks for the recommendations so far, though I think the thread has become about comfort in general, rather than the specific issue of relieving pressure on my inflamed ischial bursa. I have tried some other saddles. I used to quite like my Fizik Aliante, which I have in a couple of versions. But because of the convex shape of the wings, it puts more pressure on the sit bone than the Berk, which has a slight concavity on the wings. This is why I'm intrigued by the Infinity saddles (which I'd never heard of before), since in theory they seem to take all pressure off the sit bones.
It's a shame you discount your comfort for 1/4lb of added weight, aesthetics, and a flat out wrong assumption that Brooks' narrow saddles are not narrow enough. Best of luck in your search
Old 04-09-2024, 12:23 PM
ZhugeLiang

When I first encountered an infinity saddle, it was at my local coop, I thought someone was playing a practical joke by cutting out a huge section of a perfectly good saddle. I brought it home anyway just for fun. Many months later, one fine day, I took it out and installed on the bike and rode around the neighborhood, then I realized it was for real and by design to take the pressure off the sit bone completely. It felt like I was being "craddled" like a baby...
I decided it was not for me and took it off.

A couple other saddles that are in my parts bin. Someone mentioned WTB Rocket saddle. I have the regular 143mm rocket on one of my bikes, I like it so I thought I would order another spare but when the order came in, it turned out to be 130mm. I didn't realize they offer a similar saddle but in a narrower width, maybe a bit too narrow for my liking, so off it went into the parts bin.

Another saddle that I thought was someone's idea of a practical joke. The SMPs. I know a lot of pals swear by them so I will be respectful and just say this, the first time I lay eyes on one, I thought it resembles certain anatomy of a male human. Anyway, in keeping with my principle of "don't say anything until you have tried it" - I put the SMP TRK saddle on my gravel bike and rode it on a few rides. At first, I thought "wow, this sure is comfortable, I am being "protected" For some reason, the novelty wears off after a few rides and it too joined the others in the parts bin.

Last edited by weisan; 04-09-2024 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainNoise View Post
It's a shame you discount your comfort for 1/4lb of added weight, aesthetics, and a flat out wrong assumption that Brooks' narrow saddles are not narrow enough. Best of luck in your search
Whoa, dude, where did I say anything about Brooks saddles? Chill.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
When I first encountered an infinity saddle, it was at my local coop, I thought someone was playing a practical joke by cutting out a huge section of a perfectly good saddle. I brought it home anyway just for fun. Many months later, one fine day, I took it out and installed on the bike and rode around the neighborhood, then I realized it was for real and by design to take the pressure off the sit bone completely. It felt like I was being "craddled" like a baby...
I decided it was not for me and took it off.

A couple other saddles that are in my parts bin. Someone mentioned WTB Rocket saddle. I have the regular 143mm rocket on one of my bikes, I like it so I thought I would order another spare but when the order came in, it turned out to be 130mm. I didn't realize they offer a similar saddle but in a narrower width, maybe a bit too narrow for my liking, so off it went into the parts bin.

Another saddle that I thought was someone's idea of a practical joke. The SMPs. I know a lot of pals swear by them so I will be respectful and just say this, the first time I lay eyes on one, I thought it resembles certain anatomy of a male human. Anyway, in keeping with my principle of "don't say anything until you have tried it" - I put the SMP TRK saddle on my gravel bike and rode it on a few rides. At first, I thought "wow, this sure is comfortable, I am being "protected" For some reason, the novelty wears off after a few rides and it too joined the others in the parts bin.

]
I also have several saddles I no longer use in my parts bin, which I intend to sell at some point. Are you selling any of these, by any chance? It's so hard to try saddles since the decent ones cost so much!
Old 04-10-2024, 01:48 AM

I too had ischial pain (not bursitis) on a Berk Lupina. I switched to a Berk Ploh and had instant relief. The flatter shape was the solution for me. Another reasonably priced solution is San Marco Aspide comfort. Lots of firm padding. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:46 AM

Good video

See good video linked below from James. He is a good bike fitter and his advice is usually very good. The video dispels some assumed truths about saddle selection and fitting. Highly recommended:

https://youtu.be/zJMR9yQ4HdQ?si=UtgAHGJMojeXMzo2

Alan
Old 04-10-2024, 06:59 AM
Administrator

If you can get past the polarizing look, I think SMP makes a saddle that can suit just about anyone. Based on your want list, I think you should consider a Lite209 or Glider saddle. Narrow, has a cutout and higher padding.