Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2023, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Crashed :-(

Just wanted to share that I went down pretty hard this past Tuesday evening.

I was on a group ride and we had a good 15 or so in the group, with some fast guys. I got dropped part way through the ride with some others and three of us were together behind the front group. We were approaching a point where we could turn around and connect with the front guys.
Apparently the guy in front of me decided to do a quick u-turn, without giving notice, to reconnect with the front group. I have zero memory of this, so I don't know what actually happened. Apparently, I slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting him and went over the bars and my face hit the pavement pretty hard. I may have hit his rear wheel, but no one will know.

The next thing I remember is waking up in the ambulance on the way to the ER. Things are still a little fuzzy at the first ER, but I had some bleeding in my brain, so they transferred me to trauma center hospital. My wife tells me that I kept asking her what was wrong with me and what happened since I couldn't remember anything. I think I was out for 30 minutes or so.

The trauma hospital decided to watch me overnight and do another CT scan and scheduled a visit with the neurosurgeon. The CT scan the following morning looked good and the bleeding had stopped, and the other blood had been absorbed. As expected, I have a fair amount of road rash here and there, but most of it is on my face.

I feel very blessed that it wasn't worse than it was. There were no broken bones in my face, or anywhere else, my teeth weren't damaged, and no neck or spine injuries. I did manage to damage a rib, and that is very painful -- especially if I move the wrong way.

The neurosurgeon told me to take it easy for several days and let my brain heal. He also said don't get another concussion in the next couple of months because this could be a real problem if I did. I can't drive until I get the okay from my primary care doc who I see on Monday.

I picked up my bike yesterday, and it survived really well, and it looks like my body took the beating. There is just a little damage here and there, but nothing bad at all. The front of my helmet is smashed, and my clear glasses are all scraped up, but weren't broken.

The scariest part was listening to all the riders that were there tell me how scary it was to see me completely unconscious. I have really been impressed and grateful at how many people of reached out to check on me.

Again, I'm so thankful that it wasn't more serious than it was. This could have been a life altering event, but I came away with no lasting issues other than some scars.

Here's a picture my wife took in the ER.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8274.jpg (129.4 KB, 724 views)
Old 03-25-2023, 09:45 AM

Rest up, glad you came out with relatively light wounds.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:47 AM

Wow. Really glad to hear it wasn't more serious. Heal up quickly, broken ribs tend to nag for a while!
Old 03-25-2023, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Thanks. The thing that might be the most painful in the end is that I have a high deductible on my health insurance plan, and it looks like this little bike crash will cost me $10K+.
Old 03-25-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Thanks. The thing that might be the most painful in the end is that I have a high deductible on my health insurance plan, and it looks like this little bike crash will cost me $10K+.
It's too late for this one, but the Spot insurance through USA Cycling pairs great with a high deductible health insurance plan.
Old 03-25-2023, 12:49 PM
n - 1

Yikes. Glad you’re ok (relatively speaking). Hope this means some good minister-prepped dinners coming your way!

Wish you speedy recovery.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:49 AM

That sounds awful…and hopefully there aren’t any long-term issues. Best wishes for a speedy recovery! ☺️
Old 03-25-2023, 09:53 AM
Descent fitness

Wow, Keith.
Glad it wasn’t worse. Heal up well and remember that pain is not gain right now.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:54 AM
Picshooter

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Stuff can be replaced. Take care.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:02 AM

Heal well and quickly!
Old 03-25-2023, 10:13 AM
Post Mod-ern

Wow, Keith . . .

. . . When you do something, you dive in all the way–literally!

But seriously, VERY glad you are not hurt MUCH worse! sounds like a crash I had going over the bars some years ago where the neurosurgeon just told me straight out, "No helmet? You'd be dead, 100%."

Get well soon!

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 03-25-2023, 10:13 AM

sorry to hear this Keith

glad it wasn't worse.

it's always hard to take the proper time off after injury, but your rib may help with that. When I broke mine, the worst was probably into the 2nd week as it tried to heal and then movement really bothered it.

do what you can to rest as advised to avoid possible subsequent head hits in whatever window neuro tells you.

hope that guy at least buys you a new helmet
Old 03-25-2023, 10:15 AM

Phew, pretty scary. Maybe in hindsight it may be better not to remember the details…
Great to hear that the internal bleeding subsided. That is the best possible outcome.
All the best for a speedy recovery!
Old 03-25-2023, 10:17 AM

Wow - sorry man. Hope you heal quickly. Follow docs orders and don't rush back into things - take it real easy for a bit - and stay off the computer for awhile as well (they don't mix well with concussions).
Old 03-25-2023, 10:31 AM

I wish you a full and speedy recovery Keith! I'm so glad that it wasn't worse.

--Warren