Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2022, 10:23 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Yes. I ride in very technical terrain at high speeds where it’s more common to see full suspension mountain bikes.
Ok then. I figured gravel tires were for gravel riding. Gravel roads are still just roads and a 2" tire is more than enough for any gravel road I have ridden, driven, or seen.

Makes sense to want a tire wider than 2" if you are using your gravel bike where others use full suspension bikes.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:29 PM

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 12-01-2022 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Ok then. I figured gravel tires were for gravel riding. Gravel roads are still just roads and a 2" tire is more than enough for any gravel road I have ridden, driven, or seen.

Makes sense to want a tire wider than 2" if you are using your gravel bike where others use full suspension bikes.
There's also enough people that wouldn't be caught dead on a MTB, so they push the limits of their gravel setup. It probably won't be the most popular of sizes but as long as the bike can take it, why not? Saves you from N+1 for a little while, at least.

I think as suspension gets more prolific, the average tire size will come back down, but there will always be the monstercross market, that existed before gravel was called "gravel".

Last edited by rice rocket; 05-21-2022 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:27 AM

Midwest-centric gravel gospel is largely irrelevant outside of that sphere. “Let me tell you how it is with my 70,000 miles of gravel with not a descent over a minute nor a rock larger than an inch.”

Driven, ridden, or seen - indeed.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:40 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
Midwest-centric gravel gospel is largely irrelevant outside of that sphere. “Let me tell you how it is with my 70,000 miles of gravel with not a descent over a minute nor a rock larger than an inch.”

Driven, ridden, or seen - indeed.
If this is directed at me, I wasn't judging the OP. I was replying with surprise since most situations I have read about thru the years revolve around someone not exceeding a bike's intent. They want a gravel bike for a tow path or for urban riding or for any other time situation.

If the OP wants to underbike, cool. I get that desire and it can make things fun. I underbike when I ride singletrack with my kids since I just use my gravel bike. I definitely see the appeal.

As for the ramble about Midwest gravel roads, I was referring to gravel roads I have ridden. Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, and Mississippi are where I was basing my comment since I have ridden in those states. I have driven and seen pictures of gravel in a ton of other states and countries and it seemed similar...just a road that isn't paved.

What the OP is doing sounds fun and I think it's neat.
Apologies for inadvertently triggering something in you.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:51 AM

Old 05-22-2022, 11:42 AM

Old 05-22-2022, 11:45 AM

With much less actual consequence, I understand the OP's dismay from a recent tire purchase. I bought Panaracer T-Serv Protite 26x1.75" tires for my dropbar Litespeed 26er, and they measure out at under 1.6" wide and barely 1.4" tall. I won't buy them again, but I don't have another bike to put them on and they are OK except when I hit the sandy parts of the trails here. The bike gets a mix of paved and dirt roads, and some mild singletrack.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:19 PM

I've had this same sinking feeling with several sets of Schwalbes. Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, all of my Schwalbe mtb tires are undersized (thunder burt, racing ralph, nobby nic. Actually haven't checked the Jumbo Jim, but thats beside the point.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:33 AM

Put the gravel cushcores in there. For the riding you are talking about, they will make a huge difference because they add some damping to the the air spring (your tire) as well as protecting the rim. In fact, for the tire size you are using, you might even use the xc cushcore. I put one in the back tire on my Diverge, and run 32psi with 44mm tires at 82kg. Nice and soft and no rim touches. A little less "ping pong" from the rear when it roots and rocks.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:37 AM

Old 05-23-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Gravel roads are still just roads and a 2" tire is more than enough for any gravel road I have ridden, driven, or seen.
Gravel roads can be graded differently in different regions depending on the regional standards, use cases, and available resources. Traveling every single inch of gravel road in Iowa, for instance, doesn't give you much information about how logging roads are built in Oregon.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:34 PM

Old 05-23-2022, 01:58 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTupolev View Post
Gravel roads can be graded differently in different regions depending on the regional standards, use cases, and available resources. Traveling every single inch of gravel road in Iowa, for instance, doesn't give you much information about how logging roads are built in Oregon.
Yes of course. And that was already discussed, acknowledged, etc.
I fully agree what works around me doesnt work elsewhere. And whats needed elsewhere may not he helpful here.
I have no need for a dropper, but others like it since they ride their gravel bike on fire roads and singletrack. That sounds like the style of riding the OP is doing so a 2.1" tire would be desired over a 1.95" tire.
Old 05-23-2022, 02:25 PM

I had g-one Ultrabites in 700x50c. They measured 50mm on i24 rims at the casing for me. I mounted some of their XC tires 650x54c and they also measured true to size.