Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2021, 07:36 PM
Vendor

I just got a magic shell and it’s become one of my favorites for SF Bay weather.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:37 PM

Last edited by gurk700; 12-21-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:38 PM

Last edited by gurk700; 12-21-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:41 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurk700 View Post
Hahah so glad someone else noticed. I'm design digital products (web / mobile / apps etc) and I thought it was an awesome / on brand use of hover Might have to steal some of those ideas for the future
Old 12-22-2021, 07:42 PM

I'm tempted to try a jacket...but I'm so anti-jacket. I can tough it out with thermal underlayer and some arm warmers with a insulated long jersey. This gets me to near freezing temps. 40's and I'll wear a merino undershirt.

As for bibs the Rapha Powerweaves are by far my favorite, but damn they are too expensive.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:47 PM

Forgot about the House Wind Vest. Perfect
Old 12-22-2021, 07:49 PM
Administrator

I really like the jerseys. Good fit and pocket location IMO.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:51 PM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesadventure View Post
Insider tip: there's new bibs that are fully redesigned around a new chamois that will be released quite soon

I liked the old bibs, the upcoming ones are even better.

Also if you're in the Bay Area, don't sleep on the Micro Climate. A bit warmer than a wind jacket but still light and packable, it is one of my favorite new pieces of kit this year.
Man I love the Micro Climate jacket. My most used piece of cycling clothing this fall.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:06 PM

I just received my Magic Shell. I've yet to ride in it, but the fit and finish are just really nice, in keeping with every other piece of their kit I've got. I've got a ultra-distance(1500mi) race I'm thinking I'll tackle this Spring and this seems like it'll be a key piece. Acting like a thermal jersey, and wind blocking layer all in one. And from the reviews, will breathe better than a typical combination of those two layers. I know they talk about how surprisingly waterproof it is, but I also will be packing a Shakedry layer, which I'm hoping will layer over this nicely.

I'm tempted by the new Cargo Bib Shorts, but I sure do find $200 on bottoms harder to justify than $200 tops... I don't know why. My go-to bibs have been Sugoi Evolutions or RS Pros which I've hoarded for years anytime I found them for under $100. But I do appreciate the pockets(and probably more-so the matching of my kit...)
Old 01-16-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upcountry View Post
I just received my Magic Shell. I've yet to ride in it, but the fit and finish are just really nice, in keeping with every other piece of their kit I've got. I've got a ultra-distance(1500mi) race I'm thinking I'll tackle this Spring and this seems like it'll be a key piece. Acting like a thermal jersey, and wind blocking layer all in one. And from the reviews, will breathe better than a typical combination of those two layers. I know they talk about how surprisingly waterproof it is, but I also will be packing a Shakedry layer, which I'm hoping will layer over this nicely.

I'm tempted by the new Cargo Bib Shorts, but I sure do find $200 on bottoms harder to justify than $200 tops... I don't know why. My go-to bibs have been Sugoi Evolutions or RS Pros which I've hoarded for years anytime I found them for under $100. But I do appreciate the pockets(and probably more-so the matching of my kit...)
I really should get one. Care to comment on the fit...
Old 01-16-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I think OrNot makes the best technical stuff around. I have two micro-climate jackets and one Magic Shell.

I’m six feet and 195 and wear a “large.” They’re TIGHT.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I think OrNot makes the best technical stuff around. I have two micro-climate jackets and one Magic Shell.

I’m six feet and 195 and wear a “large.” They’re TIGHT.
Maybe you're an XL?
Old 01-16-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Maybe you're an XL?
Nope. I like the race fit. That’s the size that’s recommended by OrNot for my build. In CDC and Isadore, I’m an “XL.”
Old 01-16-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I've got a small selection of their stuff and find their sizing recommendations to be really accurate. If you're on the bubble, scroll through the reviews and chances are you'll find someone with similar height and weight and their recommendation.
I've got a House SS jersey and House LS jersey, both in XS and they fit great. Very comparable to a Rapha Pro Team XS. This means long and lean(aka Aero).

I've also got their Thermal Long Sleeve Jersey(the power wool one) in Small, as it runs a bit smaller. Tons of stretch on this one though so I have no doubt I could get away with an XS in this too if I didn't want to layer underneath it.

So on the Micro Climate and Magic Shell I've got size Small on both. Seeing as they're both "jackets" I wanted to be able to put them over everything from just a short sleeve jersey, to a thick base layer with arm warmers, and a thermal jersey if needed. They're perfect. Like I really do think they paid attention to how each layer will be used and as such, that they are made just dang near perfect to allow that to happen while not sacrificing elsewhere. The sleeves on the Magic Shell are long enough and wide enough to not cause bulging when pulling them on over other layers, and the lower back is stretchy enough to fit over jersey pockets loaded with stuff(I tested a third bottle).

Now fingers crossed they come out with a Micro Climate Vest...
Old 01-16-2022, 05:40 PM

Thanks

I have a half dozen things from them and 4 are M and 2 are L

Always best to buy both and send back the loser.

I wish they would figure out their color palette.