Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
haha.....love this. I did something similar last year to combat COVID boredom: decided to ride every street between the beach... The profile looked like a hacksaw.
Thank you. Would have never thought of this, but now I know where to ride when I need to stay close to home.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbk67 View Post
Bonus points for the rest of us mere mortals if stupid doesn't also involve a drive to the start, a parallel admin. drive along the route and being driven back from the finish.
Ha - I was considering riding from SE Michigan to Traverse City (280 miles / 450 km). This would be a two day ride, as I am half the bicycle rider that Ted King is, and I prefer a proper night's sleep. The thing that makes it stupid, to your point, is that I currently don't have a way to get back home. I'll do this next June when I figure that logistical piece out.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:35 PM

Decades ago and inspired by De Vlaeminck, Merckx etc. and their early season post-semi-Classic rides I'd ride to and from any club race within 30-40km of home. These days I'm yet to race this season due to inclement weather, the pandemic and the other usual excuses. I'm also yet to ride the local Akatarawa Hill Rd. loop which has a 450m summit and is 120-140km depending on how it's skinned. And a 200km ride is a once a year goal...

So for stupid's sake I'll aim to ride to the next race, "race" it, and carry on over the Akatarawas, stretching it to 200km if I hold together. Should be at least 160km and 1500-2000m of climbing.

Maybe even this weekend.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:25 PM

Do the Marji Gesick 100 mile MTB race in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Never done it. Never will. Looks pretty brutal.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:30 PM

My friends and I are buying $100 (or less) bikes and riding them 100 miles (together). So far there are about 5 of us but we want to spread the word and make it an event. The only real rule is it had to cost less than $100, but after that you can do basically whatever you want/need to make it functional and safe. I thought I had a really good $100 bike but people have been getting surprisingly nice bikes. Some of them plan to donate the bikes afterwards.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:32 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbk67 View Post
… a drive to the start, a parallel admin. drive along the route and being driven back from the finish.
I dunno, seems to boost the stupid quotient.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:02 PM
formerly Landshark_98

All I can say is that if you do this is the time estimated by Strava you should ring up one of the Tour Team Directors ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T;3014601

-----------------------------

Here's mine: [url
https://www.strava.com/routes/2898267751713452232[/url] - edited to be a bit less scatalogical...

--------------------------

Old 11-23-2021, 04:33 PM

does solo century on thanksgiving count as stupid? If so, I'm in.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
does solo century on thanksgiving count as stupid? If so, I'm in.

Stupid is relative - I cheers to any effort that feels right to you..
Old 11-23-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
All I can say is that if you do this is the time estimated by Strava you should ring up one of the Tour Team Directors ; )

Under four hours rolling time seems like a good target for this middle aged duffer.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:33 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I'll not bother constructing the route, but maybe I'll post after I do it.

I have two weekday routes which, absent the transit to/from portions, exceed 200 feet of elevation per mile. Each is a series of dead end climbs with significant double digit portions, one in Beverly Hills and the other in Bel Air. I plan to link them together, which will end up being around 8k feet in 40 miles, so not as stupid as Clean's but should at least qualify as dumb if not stupid.
I did this today but I'm afraid it's (per the ride title) insufficiently stupid, the junk miles to get between home and the climbs reduced the elevation:distance ratio to 160. And it took me over 4 hours so Clean, if you can do yours in your predicted time I'll be impressed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Insufficiently stupid.jpg (87.5 KB, 127 views)
Old 11-24-2021, 07:13 PM

Great idea! I do stupid rides all the time to break the monotony, fortunately no broken bones yet. This is from last year trying to descend Brown's Gap Road off Skyline Drive in Shenandoah. Basically a hiking trail through the brush and I was afraid it was going to peter out and dead end halfway down the mountain. Fortunately not, but there were some rough spots like this.

I have a few days off first part of December, so I'll think of something pretty dumb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4094.jpg (155.2 KB, 118 views)
Old 11-24-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Someone started it, and somehow managed to convince others to join, now it's become a yearly thing. I did it twice before I finally said to myself, enough is enough,
this is stupid. It just came and went a week or two ago.

http://www.dashugel.com/faq/
Dude, Hugel follows Fight Club rules. Rule One is...

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2021, 07:59 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
Rule One is...

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
Climb will go on as long as they have to?
Old 11-24-2021, 09:07 PM

I love it Clean!
I'm in... Lets lock me in for a December 5th deadline as well.

I live about 2 miles up a 5 mile climb of 1700', which on paper doesn't seem that daunting at 6.4% average, but that doesn't tell you about the mile plus that averages over 12% smack dab in the middle of the climb...

I honestly don't mind hill repeats, but in keeping with the theme of this thread/challenge, I'm going to up the stakes...

I've got five bikes all put together and rideable in the stable at the moment: 3T Strada Due, Giant TCR Advanced, Ibis Hakka MX, Twin Six Ti 27.5+ Hardtail, and the Cielo Rigid Single Speed 29er...
I'm going to swap bikes for each of the climbs.

I live right off the road, so I'll have the bikes ready to roll, and I'll roll into the driveway on the way down from the summit, and swap bikes, then proceed down to the start of the climb, turn around and head back up to the top and do it again... I'll have to think about the order of the bikes... Grind up on the SS right off the bat or paperboy it for the last time up? I have no idea what kind of time to expect, but knowing that 250w average only nets me a 33 minute time and 9mph average, and knowing that I can't hold that power for five efforts(lets blame off-season fitness and 6,000ft elevation), lets aim for a sub 5 hour elapsed time. I've got power meters on each bike, so it'll be fun to compare all the numbers.

Last edited by Upcountry; 11-24-2021 at 09:12 PM.