Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2021, 11:22 AM

Help with getting a smart trainer please

Hi all, I am looking at the Tacx Flux 2, and the Tacx Neo 2. On comparison they seem pretty similar. Do any of you have any input on which one you recommend getting? Thanks, Tom
Old 11-21-2021, 12:40 PM

The big difference is the Neo does not require calibration and in fact cannot be user calibrated. I had a bushido that required calibration and i didnt like doing that, so id opt for the calibration free.

Most require a warmup of 10-15 minutes before you can calibrate.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:33 PM

From what I remember, the Neo looks a bit sleeker, it can fold up to take up less space when not using, it is marginally quieter than the Flux and I believe it can accommodate higher wattage. I have owned the Neo for almost 4 years with no issues. For my purposes, the Flux would have been just fine too.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:42 PM

Purchased a Neo 2T a few weeks ago from forum sponsor BikeTiresDirect. Arrival was 2 days.

While the Flux will more than likely serve you well, I liked the design and flywheel of the Neo a bit better. No calibration was a factor as well.

Older, tired of PA cold weather, and sick of my rollers, I figured it was time.

Having used the Neo 2 for 4 rides on Zwift, I am beating myself up for not buying a smart trainer sooner. Look at the other posts relative to this and get the stand, fan, etc.

Setup was as simple as you can get. You can literally be unpacked, and on the bike in a half hour or so. One thing of note.....Tacx comes with a Shimano free hub body. Since I have a Shimano equipped bike, no problem. However, I wanted to use an older frame with Campy. I'm still waiting on a Campy free hub body. Garmin has them on a 5 week backorder. I found one on Backcountry/Competetive Cyclist and they sent me the wrong body. If running Campy 11/12, you need Tacx version 2 (2875.51) Their website is wrong. I did my research and ordered version 2, but it defaults and sends you the wrong one.

Anyway....CC was great as usual, issued an instant refund and they expect stock on 11/29, even though their site is still not fixed

Good luck, and buy one
Old 11-21-2021, 06:01 PM

The Neo has more bells and whistles then the flux but the flux is a great trainer.
It comes down to how much you want to spend and how much you care about bells and whistles (road feel, a bit of side to side motion)....
Old 11-21-2021, 09:53 PM

Thanks guys!