Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2021, 02:12 PM

eBay Global Shipping Program

Seattle to Vancouver travel time 1 hour 45 min.
eBay Global Shipping Program, Seattle, Washington to Cincinnati, Ohio to Erlanger, Kentucky to Vancouver, Canada, delivery time 45 days, are you sure that’s good effective customer service?

Ti quil stem is being returned, no longer needed!

Last edited by m_sasso; 11-19-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:15 PM

And the cost that they charge for GSP is ridiculously high, what a money grab for them.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:22 PM

Well, item cost $100.00, shipping $28.15, import charges $9.46, not completely out of line.

Delivery time, not sustainable.

Last edited by m_sasso; 11-19-2021 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:27 PM

Dang, that's crazy. I've shipped stuff through GSP to Europe from the US and it didn't take nearly that long.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:11 PM

The eBay global shipping program is the #1 reason why I stopped buying things there. The shipping and import fees to Canada are absurd and delivery times aren't predictable.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:34 PM

Yeah that sucks.

To the sellers defense they don’t know who is going to buy the item. Someone is Australia? A neighbor up north?

I feel like this could’ve been easily avoided (by eBay actually shipping the item in the way that makes most sense)
Old 11-19-2021, 04:41 PM

From a seller's perspective, the huge advantage of GSP with many countries is that there's proof/tracking that you satisfied your responsibility at least as far as shipping to whatever country, even those that are complete black holes for tracking info because they don't talk to USPS or whomever.

Canada, however, is pretty good about communicating tracking/delivery on things shipped USPS First Class or Priority International, so I don't get forcing Canadian buyers to use GSP. At least that's how it used to be, when I still sold stuff, before ebay turned themselves into a giant pain in the ass.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:24 PM

At least sellers can still opt out of using the GSP, but still, eBay keeps making things worse for sellers.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:06 AM
Randomhead

I don't think you can opt out for certain countries. I used to limit my sales to conus only, but then I started allowing global shipping program because the costs usually are enough to keep people from bidding. Admittedly, the only problem I ever had internationally was someone who bought a Campagnolo bb cable sling. They lived in Italy, don't they give those things out there for free?
OTOH, I hated waiting for my packages to get to some unpronounceable village in Indonesia. With GSP, you're done when it gets to Saint Louis. And it avoids the problems with other freight forwarders.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Sent a bike repair stand to a gent in the Netherlands..we finally found it in Saudi Arabia....true story..about 60 days to get it delivered.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:52 PM

GSP has GOT to be a scam. The shipping amount for specific items is way out of line with the actual cost of shipping. Someone is getting rich off that s#*t.

The actual cost of shipping say a long-sleeve jersey from the US into Canada is usually around USD$12 via USPS 1st Class Mail. GSP shipping+taxes it can easily approach USD$50. For a shirt! Insanity.

KJ