Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2021, 02:56 PM

I don't have a lot of personal experience here, but if I were looking at a new bike and wanted very wide tires, I'd look for 650b or 26". It just helps keep the rotational inertia down and keeps the feeling of the wheels a little snappier.

(Not talking about singletrack where 29" can help roll over obstacles.)
Old 11-20-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I don't have a lot of personal experience here, but if I were looking at a new bike and wanted very wide tires, I'd look for 650b or 26". It just helps keep the rotational inertia down and keeps the feeling of the wheels a little snappier.

Diff'rent strokes, but I love the 'monster truck' feel of a bike with the big tires on gravel and having tires that big definitely opens up some singletrack/jeep track/logging road options... depending on where you live some short sections of singletrack can open up a lot of fun routes.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:49 PM

Use Cases for 700c 48MM tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post

Indeed, 650b has a lot to offer.
Big tires are a ton of fun in 700 and 650. Lately I’ve been riding the RH 700x48 and 650x55 knobbies. There is not clear winner. One clear difference is that you need a wider 650 to get the same rough stuff capability as a 700, so maybe this comes down to what your bike will fit and what treads come in the right width and wheel size. Widths held equal, the subtle notes are that 650 is more nimble and 700 has better roll over.

Instagram
Old 11-20-2021, 04:04 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Widths held equal, the subtle notes are that 650 is more nimble and 700 has better roll over.
I find this is the case as well. 650b can take the truck feel outta aiming at lines, particularly at lower velocities.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambee View Post
@Alistair it's practically heresy! As an all-roader for the last 10 years I can attest that there is no difference in my speed between tire sizes up to around 48mm.

Remember that this thread has Jan Heine (who is a forum member btw) all over it.
STOP the PRESSES!!..When somebody is comparing wheels/rims and immediately shout 'rotating weight'...Compass tires in 48mm are 545g, in 32mm, 291g....254g difference. More than 1/2 of a pound...even more with 28mm tires..Why is this different than a wheel set with 250g heavier rims??

What Gives??

--->>