Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2021, 11:55 AM

Cyclingtips = Velonews, Pinkbike = Beta

Announced on both sites this AM. Apparently Outside purchased Cyclingtips/Pinkbike.

Pretty bummed as they have become my respective pro-media sources for road + MTB bike info. Am a paid subscriber to Cyclingtips. Just don't see how it makes sense for Outside to maintain redundant channels and make $$$ so guess the new purchases will sooner than later be folded into the existing properties which share the generic Outside e-mag look/feel, selective paywall, etc.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Interesting.

I just received this email also. I assume these things are relate, especially the buyout by Pocket?

It'll all go downhill in an effort to squeeze subscription bucks out of buyers.

Quote:
Welcome to the future of Outside Magazine!
Dear Outsiders,

At this time last year, like millions of other Americans, I was learning to navigate life as a remote worker amid a global pandemic. Looking back, I do recall a few unexpected perks: more time with my family, a welcome respite from commutes and school drop-offs, and a considerably more relaxed dress code. But mostly I remember the simmering anxiety. I worried about the state of the world and the health of my community, of course, but what really gripped me was the challenge of leading an advertising-dependent media brand at a time when ad spending had essentially been paused indefinitely. There were days last summer when I wondered if Outside’s 43-year run was coming to an end. The one bright spot was our decision to launch a contribution model last June, when thousands of dedicated readers stepped up to support our digital journalism with financial donations. (If you were one of those readers, THANK YOU. Your support enabled us to keep publishing the adventure stories you love, and it lifted our spirits.) Yet I remember having the stark realization that Outside’s long-term viability would require a complete rethinking of the way we do business, and I wasn’t sure we could manage it on our own.

Well, what a difference a year makes. As I write this, most of the Outside magazine staff is still working remotely, but the pandemic is on the run—and the company’s future has never looked so bright. In case you missed the news, our brand was acquired in February by Pocket Outdoor Media (which has since renamed itself Outside Interactive), linking us to dozens of other active-lifestyle resources, from fellow media titles like Backpacker and VeloNews and Outside Television, to revered services such as Gaia GPS, AthleteReg, and FinisherPix, to iconic experiences like the Roll Massif bike series and the Warren Miller film series. Our new parent company has bundled the features of all these properties into Outside+, a membership that grants you access not only to our award-winning journalism but to a host of new perks and benefits:

A subscription to Outside magazine and your choice from 17 Outside+ member titles
Digital access to members-only content across all Outside properties
Over a thousand hours of exclusive TV content via the OutsideTV app
Access to hundreds of virtual health, fitness, cooking, and outdoor classes
Two free books a year from VeloPress
Personalized, ad-free experiences at Outside Online
A subscription to Gaia GPS, so you can download maps offline and never get lost again
Free training plans for running, cycling, and triathlon via Today’s Plan
Discounts on everything from gear to race-entry fees to event photography
And—as they say—much, much more! Check it all out here.

Outside+ launched in May, but today marks our magazine’s official integration into its membership program. That means you’ll notice some changes at Outside Online, including registration and log-in features that allow you to customize your story feed and see more of the stories you want, from Outside as well as all of our partner titles. More significantly, we’re no longer giving away all of our journalism for free. Going forward we’ll be putting 30 percent of our stories, including all of our print-magazine content, behind a member wall. We feel strongly that the work we produce at Outside Online is distinct and valuable, a vital service readers should be willing to pay for. What’s more, we’re confident that when you see all the additional perks of an Outside+ membership—offerings we plan to keep enhancing as we evolve and grow—the value will be evident.

I should also add that there are many things that won’t be changing at Outside, starting with our decades-long commitment to quality, in-depth reporting. Each day at Outside Online, you’ll continue to find one-of-a-kind longform stories, comprehensive travel advice and unbiased gear reviews, and clear-eyed coverage of critical outdoor topics that affect all of us, from the ongoing bike-safety crisis to the importance of making our nation’s outdoor spaces welcoming and accessible to all.

In short, the new Outside has more to offer than ever—but we can’t succeed without your continued support. I hope you’ll explore the benefits of an Outside+ membership on our site today and join our growing community. And I look forward to sharing some of the exciting member exclusives we’ll be rolling out later this summer and beyond.

Sincerely,

Christopher Keyes
Editor in chief
Old 07-14-2021, 12:13 PM
DELETE ACCNT

The letter doesn't mention CyclingTips.
It mentions Velonews (which I think sucks) but maybe they plan to fold all cycling related content into VN? or CT will just be behind the paywall as a minor channel, as suggested

Interesting to see Gaia in there too. Hope they don't force these individual app/platfom users into some mass Outside+ subscription
Old 07-14-2021, 12:14 PM

No more subscription services please
Old 07-14-2021, 12:22 PM

Velonews used to be my go-to source, but has really gone downhill over the past decade. CyclingTips is a bit better, but I don't see how you can sustain multiple publications covering the same subject under one roof.

This also strikes me as a rather anti-competitive acquisition. I know the FTC is behind the curve on antitrust enforcement, but it's hard to see how such major consolidation incycling media passes the smell test.

As a consumer of cycling media, this is very disappointing to me. Maybe they will prove me wrong and offer improved content than either publication was putting out prior to the acquisition, but I'm not optimistic.

I also got a chuckle the other day, after all that has gone down, Outside is a sponsor of Lance Armstrong's podcast.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Velonews used to be my go-to source, but has really gone downhill over the past decade. CyclingTips is a bit better, but I don't see how you can sustain multiple publications covering the same subject under one roof.

This also strikes me as a rather anti-competitive acquisition. I know the FTC is behind the curve on antitrust enforcement, but it's hard to see how such major consolidation incycling media passes the smell test.

As a consumer of cycling media, this is very disappointing to me. Maybe they will prove me wrong and offer improved content than either publication was putting out prior to the acquisition, but I'm not optimistic.

I also got a chuckle the other day, after all that has gone down, Outside is a sponsor of Lance Armstrong's podcast.
Because Lance's VC firm is an investor in Outside, VN and now CyclingTips.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
No more subscription services please
With the digital media landscape as it is now the only options are pay for quality or get crap for free.

I have to say that the few digital subscription services I’ve paid for have all been excellent and well worth the nominal charge. But fortunately my tastes are very selective as opposed to other consumers who’ve been trained to feast.

And agree with above, velonews has tanked in the last few years and their podcast is now unlistenable. Not sure if CT will raise the tide or get dragged down below.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:26 PM
what's a little rust?

CT was sharp enough not to include comments with the announcement on their site.

Meanwhile, the comments on Pinkbike's announcement ... well ...

I think the Outside + model is coming to absorb CT and PB and the other purchases.

Too many current subscription services feel like the cable TV model coming back from the dead, and multiplying. A plethora of new bundles ("you get to buy this if you want that!") is not the same idea as the a la carte media model a lot of people seemed to be asking for.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:46 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post

I would agree but the cycling media (independent or not) all aspire to sellout and parrot each other anyway. CT tried to be it's own "going to be honest, real journalists" but really they created their own little echo chamber and not really saying much different than anyone else. But they made a niche in that space so that's market value I guess.

So the blending of all these shades of green is really minor.
Content wise, they self-monopolize and homogenize, following the biggest sponsors. It's just like the automotive review sites.

I agree with others, the subscriptions are out of hand but that's the business model of the moment...for a lot of things.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:50 PM

Yeah, can't really see them supporting overlapping publications. I'll try to be optimistic and hope that a crew of the best writers will leave and start a reader-supported site a la Defector.com
Old 07-14-2021, 12:55 PM
DELETE ACCNT

that's kind of what CT did
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
Yeah, can't really see them supporting overlapping publications. I'll try to be optimistic and hope that a crew of the best writers will leave and start a reader-supported site a la Defector.com
Old 07-14-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
that's kind of what CT did
Good point.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:21 PM

Not a fan of yet another subscription. I don't plan on purchasing if it goes that route. Will make Pez my go-to once again. Guessing that if you do get the subscription set up, you're still going to get hammered with all the annoying ads too. Meh.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
Guessing that if you do get the subscription set up, you're still going to get hammered with all the annoying ads too. Meh.
not only ads but once they have your confirmed email address, guarantee you'll be bombarded with "great offers!!" from all sorts of corners of their empire.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:55 PM

I hope the CyclingTips crew are getting their due - Caley, James, Abby, Dave(s) - all seem like such good folks and they're the reason I've kept a subscription to CyclingTips going. Will have to see what changes - if anything - and whether they continue to be an outlet of interest..