Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2021, 08:52 PM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moots7 View Post
Thinking of buying a Chumba Ti, they have one in my size.

Lynskey built?

Wondering why their warranty is only three years?

Also considering a Thompson Piedmont.

Haven't found anything used.
Looks like a decent price for a Musa ti bike. Gotta say I love my ti Warbird. It's post mount and has QR so obsolete but who cares --it rides so nicely. Love the feel of titanium on gravel. It was specced with an enve cross fork and after adding a shockstop stem (I have nerve issues in my arm), it has been perfect.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_D_S View Post
I am a fan of the Jamis Renegade series of bikes. I have a steel Exploit that is a couple of years old, and with upgraded wheels, it's a lot of bike for the money. The carbon Renegades are also worth a look if you are willing to spend a little more. (The top-end model retails for $3,700.) https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/renegadeseries.html
I have a carbon Renegade as my gravel bike and I find it a nice mix of lightweight performance and comfort. It will take up to 40mm tires but I usually run 35mm for added mud clearance here on the east coast.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:27 AM

I have several Salsa bikes and their build quality for the money is great, about to buy a new Carbon Gravel Bike, have the Salsa Journeyman now.

I would see what sized tires you want to run and pick a bike from that point. I can run up to 700x50, I personally like the Gravel Bikes with larger clearance.

Might want to check out the new Canyon Grizl as it seems to be a good value for the money!
Old 08-08-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k04rs4 View Post
Might want to check out the new Canyon Grizl as it seems to be a good value for the money!
I think Canyon is supposed to release an aluminium version later in the year... I'm wondering whether to go for the Grizl or the Grail (both in aluminium).
Old 08-08-2021, 05:25 PM

Salsa

I like the Warbird, probably compliant enough for this old guy. There is a local Salsa dealer, he just shook his head sadly when I ask him about getting a 810 2X Warbird.
He said he may be able to get me a SC Stigmata.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:42 PM

Love my stigmata axs mullet. One day it can be a mtb with easy clearance of 2.1” then the next feel like a road bike on the road with slicks.

It’s super smooth riding, that surprised me and was very obvious right up front coming from a steel frame and carbon fork.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moots7 View Post
I like the Warbird, probably compliant enough for this old guy. There is a local Salsa dealer, he just shook his head sadly when I ask him about getting a 810 2X Warbird.
He said he may be able to get me a SC Stigmata.
Having owned both they are very different bikes. Both are great and I wouldn't mind owning either one, but the Warbird is more comfortable and overall more compliant IMHO. The Stigmata is still a comfortable bike, but felt stiffer than the Warbird.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Having owned both they are very different bikes. Both are great and I wouldn't mind owning either one, but the Warbird is more comfortable and overall more compliant IMHO. The Stigmata is still a comfortable bike, but felt stiffer than the Warbird.
If I’m not mistaken you had the older stigmata model which is a different carbon layup and different geometry.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
If I’m not mistaken you had the older stigmata model which is a different carbon layup and different geometry.
Yes, it was the previous model. Yours is supposed to be a less stiff layup and the geometry is slightly different, but the Warbird is probably the most comfortable gravel bike I have ridden to date. It is a bit slacker in the front and longer overall than the newer Stigmata iirc. I have been tempted to build one up since seeing yours!
Old 08-08-2021, 08:03 PM

Specialized Diverge is another to be considered. I road a Carbon Comp for a year. It was a great handling bike, but it failed to put a smile on my face like steel bikes do. I'm currently in the queue for a Breadwinner B-road, but given how well the Diverge handled, I'll model my Breadwinner's geo on the Diverge.

Mt Carbon Comp w GRX 2x was $3,800 last year. I believe they've raised the price to $4,200 this year.

Whatever you choose, good luck finding a bike.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:52 PM

Gravel

Tough market right now.
Thanks all
Old 08-09-2021, 07:00 AM
Vendor

I sold/built this up for a client earlier this year. He brought it back in for some TLC. Bombtrack Hook EXT carbon frameset. Hunt wheels, SRAM components, 1x. Nice bike. Bombtrack has some unique bikes. Decent bikes for the money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2599.jpg (145.4 KB, 275 views)
Old 08-09-2021, 07:48 AM

While nothing is perfect, the new Trek Checkpoint is an excellent update IMO and will be to many riders liking.

That's all I got.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:13 PM

New Gravel Bike

Just finished building up my new Litespeed Watia.
Time to go ride!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220117_120000530_copy_1280x960.jpg (134.4 KB, 189 views)
Old 01-17-2022, 01:37 PM
Two wheels good

Nice! Following to get your thoughts. I have a nice Lynskey all-road bike but that Watia looks slick.