Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2021, 08:51 PM

Sad to see him go but excited for what's next.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:01 PM

Not really a fan of current Rapha stuff, but the "Classic" SS jersey is totally iconic and ushered in a new era of cycling apparel.

If there was a "Cycling Apparel HOF," this jersey would be among the first inductees If not the first.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:50 PM

Can't wait for the "House of Rapha" memes.....
Old 11-23-2021, 12:27 PM

Sorry, but I view Rapha as 86% marketing and 14% quality.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:55 PM
what's a little rust?

And 10% coffee stains, to get you to 110% ...

My comfort zone is more Voler than Rapha, but I don't mind their brand image. It may be cliche, but it's also always been well executed, and I can appreciate marketing that's done well. Simon must have caused a bunch of other companies to step up their game.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
My comment on the original Rouleur Tweet.

[...]

All the indie brands owe Rapha for paving the way for them. SM & Co started the niche, and perfected it.
Agreed.

Prior to Rapha, clean, understated jerseys were uncommon. And the use of Sportwool was only available from a handful of brands from England--oftentimes Rapha lookalikes.

And for as "big" of a brand as Rapha is, they've managed to stay on the pulse of cycling by introducing new lines when certain disciplines became more popular.

cyclocross in the late noughts - CX jersey
randonneuring in the 2010s - Brevet
bikepacking ~2017 - Explore
mtb 2020 - mtb
Old 11-23-2021, 02:23 PM
Deconditioned!

I've always liked the brand. When they first came on the scene, their website was required reading. It was so different than anything out there.

I'd also say that, from my observations, prior to their simplistic/clean designs, kits in general where much more garish and busy. And, lots of "team" kit stuff out in the marketplace then as well.

They definitely started a new wave in kit aesthetics.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:37 PM

I guess he has enough FU money now and wants to slow down or move on to other projects.

No question Rapha made a significant contribution to the cycling garment industry, but they also helped manufacturers jack up their prices across the board. I've had their kit and for the money I prefer other brands for bibs/winter kit and absolutely not a big fan of their (to me) boring AF solid colour kits. Give me colour and give me patterns. Be bright, be seen!

Interesting their incoming CEO's background. With Pinarello being bought out by the Louis Vuitton group a few years ago, and continued moves like this, the sport will lose (or has already lost) its roots in the working classes of northern europe. A somewhat expensive sport will just continue to get more and more expensive.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:42 PM
DELETE ACCNT

welcome to 2021, where superbikes are $18k, 'mid-range' is $6k and 8kg, non luxury family suv's are $45k and $100k cars and trucks are commonplace.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:29 PM
#RYFB

Not sure how widely known this is, but Simon has an autistic child and devotes a lot of time to charity work for autism (e.g., the annual Manchester-to-London ride benefits autism awareness, I forget the actual name of the charity).

I imagine that after stepping down he'll spend a good portion of his time on this, just a guess.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:36 PM

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/1...uarters-london

"....the British clothing brand grew 30% last year and is on track for the same growth this year. And it has longevity on its side too."
Old 11-23-2021, 04:06 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Not sure how widely known this is, but Simon has an autistic child and devotes a lot of time to charity work for autism (e.g., the annual Manchester-to-London ride benefits autism awareness, I forget the actual name of the charity).

I imagine that after stepping down he'll spend a good portion of his time on this, just a guess.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...8&postcount=75
Old 11-23-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
welcome to 2021, where superbikes are $18k, 'mid-range' is $6k and 8kg, non luxury family suv's are $45k and $100k cars and trucks are commonplace.
Yeah gone are the days when it was commonplace for people to have 3-4 top of the line steel frames with Super Record on them.

Crazy times we live in... salaries aren't keeping pace with retain pricing.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Not really a fan of current Rapha stuff, but the "Classic" SS jersey is totally iconic and ushered in a new era of cycling apparel.

If there was a "Cycling Apparel HOF," this jersey would be among the first inductees If not the first.
I was a late-comer to the Rapha party but yeah, the Classic/Club/Brevet tops are just so nice, with subtle styling and fun colourways. You can find them for reasonable money second-hand. I'm not a skin-tight slickster so these jerseys are perfect for me.

KJ
Old 11-23-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post

That would Ambitious About Autism