Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2021, 08:31 PM

Speedplay frog pedals

So, speedplay frog cleats cost a lot.

They really wouldn't be that hard to make.......

How many people here are stuck hoarding cleats?
Old 10-20-2021, 09:09 PM

i rode those pedals for 15 years

thought nothing else would do the job. when i heard they were being discontinued i sold my hoard. i found that newer models of Shimano spd with multi-directional release cleats SH-56 suit me just fine. big enough platform and with those cleats and spring tension turned down i do just fine. don't miss the Frogs.

Last edited by eddief; 10-20-2021 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:30 PM

Speaking of which ... digging through an old box, I found 3 pairs of old style Frog cleats. I no longer use Frog pedals, so if anyone is interested in them, PM me.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:31 PM

I'm still using Frogs. I haven't found anything nicer, and I have at least 20 pairs I would have to replace if I switched. I probably have enough cleats to last 5 years, I am hoping a solution will emerge by then.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:48 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
How many people here are stuck hoarding cleats?
Not "stuck" so much as "wishing I could" ...I haven't seen any to hoard in over a year.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:32 PM

I bought two new sets from England when I heard here they were being discontinued. I figure they will get me to retirement on my commuter ;-). But I’d sure be willing to try out a hand machined set. I’ve always been surprised the Chinese knockoff hasn’t emerged — appreciate a niche item.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:51 PM

I’m definitely hoarding Frog cleats and pedals and a couple of bearing kits. When I find the cleats or pedals, I just buy them all if they are reasonably priced. That said, I’ve ended up with a selection of the very old style cleats, and a few of the newer style cleats that are in NOS or good shape.

One thing the discontinuation of frogs has got me to thinking about, is if there’s another pedal that my knees will be happy with that I have thus far ignored. If I found such a thing, I can liquidate my frogs and probably afford a frameset with the proceeds.

If you need a set of the newest generation cleats as a template, I’d be happy to lend you some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2021, 08:55 PM

Are the new style cleats much better? if so how? durability, performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post
I’m definitely hoarding Frog cleats and pedals and a couple of bearing kits. When I find the cleats or pedals, I just buy them all if they are reasonably priced. That said, I’ve ended up with a selection of the very old style cleats, and a few of the newer style cleats that are in NOS or good shape.

One thing the discontinuation of frogs has got me to thinking about, is if there’s another pedal that my knees will be happy with that I have thus far ignored. If I found such a thing, I can liquidate my frogs and probably afford a frameset with the proceeds.

If you need a set of the newest generation cleats as a template, I’d be happy to lend you some

Old 10-21-2021, 09:11 PM

The newest style cleats I think are better than the old sort in at least one respect. The old kind were wider and you had to sometimes carve some rubber off the soles of some SPD shoes to get the cleat to fit properly. The old style also use “mushrooms”. It’s kind of hard to explain but if you look at them you will see what I’m talking about. I can take some pictures and post them tomorrow

Old 10-21-2021, 09:24 PM

Ya, I remember those mushrooms.

The old style cleat was based around a simple stamped plate with some stuff bolted / rivited on. As they matured the design they started to integrate all of the features into what looks like a cast plate which turned those mushrooms into little wings.

I can imagine the later cleat designs reduced cost but I am curious of they increased performance. I guess not needing to trim your shoe lugs is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post
The newest style cleats I think are better than the old sort in at least one respect. The old kind were wider and you had to sometimes carve some rubber off the soles of some SPD shoes to get the cleat to fit properly. The old style also use “mushrooms”. It’s kind of hard to explain but if you look at them you will see what I’m talking about. I can take some pictures and post them tomorrow

Old 10-21-2021, 09:57 PM

Have to admit I just recently discovered the old style cleats do have some adjustability by rotating the post at the back of the cleat; not as much as the newer version with the set screw, but some.

Frogs have their downsides (not exactly beautiful , not very good in heavy mud or snow/ice, among others) but they certainly have a lot of devoted users.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:20 PM

I would gladly pitch in for some extra cleats if you end up going that route! I am down to my last set with one spare!
Old 10-22-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Speaking of which ... digging through an old box, I found 3 pairs of old style Frog cleats. I no longer use Frog pedals, so if anyone is interested in them, PM me.

Please contact me. I'm new so I can't message you. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sktr62 View Post
Please contact me. I'm new so I can't message you. Thanks!

i believe they are all spoken for
Old 11-23-2021, 03:57 PM

Frog pedals

A little late to the thread....I have Frog cleats...need a pair of pedals, preferably stainless axels. Shoot me a message if you're willing to part with a pair at a reasonable price. Not looking to break the bank or pay over the odds. Thanks!