Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2021, 09:55 PM

Info on SRAM 30mm crankset preload adjuster

I found a bit of play in my SRAM Red 11s crankset that fits a Wheels Mfg PF30 threaded bottom bracket when I took the chain off the bike to clean it. I pulled the crankset because I'm cleaning the whole drivetrain as I (hopefully) improve my chain maintenance regime. This crankset has a plastic preload adjuster gizmo with a 2mm screw that pinches it together once the adjustment is correct. I watched a Youtube video about how to do this adjustment and I have concluded that perhaps mine is messed up, as it doesn't seem to turn freely at all, and I don't see the ring moving in or out as I turn it - the whole assembly is rotating on the spindle. The intent seems clear - it's a jack screw to press against the bearing. But mine no longer has the two parts turning independently from one another.

I hope I have described this clearly enough!

1) can this be fixed?
2) if not, what's the best solution?
- buy another one?
- replace the adjuster with a stack of fixed spacers (I have a bunch of these)?
- is there an aftermarket preload adjuster that is more robust? I see cane Creek makes a $$$ one.

Thanks!

Last edited by NHAero; 11-16-2021 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:10 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Hello,

I would start by pulling the crankset and pulling the plastic preload gizmo off the spindle.

You should be able to inspect it and the thread part that pushes toward the bearing shield. You spin the big part and the inside moves inward to set the preload.

Kogel makes an aftermarket, as does Cane Creek, and you can find some SRAM replacements around here or eBay.

Then re-install, torque it down and then use the gizmo to set the preload, then tighten the 2mm Allen to lock it in.

https://www.kogel.cc/products/crankset-preload-adjuster
Old 11-17-2021, 02:15 AM

The fine plastic threads get gummed up on those things. Pull the adjuster and threaded ring off the crank and give it a good clean. If it's dirty and binding the entire unit could just be spinning on the spindle without actually properly threading apart.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:32 AM

Thank very much. I pulled it, cleaned it and greased it. Re-installed, it won't turn unless the screw is removed, but it's likely I can get it functional again. Tempted by the pricey metal ones though!
Old 11-17-2021, 07:34 AM

Mine usually start to spin when the gap is around 2mm or so. They are cheap little things, SRAM could have done a better job.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:36 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Thank very much. I pulled it, cleaned it and greased it. Re-installed, it won't turn unless the screw is removed, but it's likely I can get it functional again. Tempted by the pricey metal ones though!
Let me see if I have my BB30 pre-load adjuster in the parts bin. I have a BB30 crankset on my Tarmac SL7, but thanks to the threaded BSA 30 BB I don't need to use the pre-load gizmo because of the width.

In the meantime, and I'm sure you did this-- but mind the arrows on the preload adjuster and make sure you are spinning it the right direction. I'm also not 100% sure if the screw needs to be loose-loose or just not extremely tight in order for the mechanism to work correctly.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:21 AM

You folks are great, thanks so much.
I decided that this is a crappy location for plastic. There wasn't any play when I set this up 2-1/2 years and 4,200 miles ago. Is this wear, or the adjuster loosening, or what would cause this?

Anyway, I broke down and ordered the Cane Creek. It's for my Firefly, which is Crystal Blue and Aqua, so I got Turquoise.

I do have to laugh at myself.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:20 PM

An update on this. I received the Cane Creek Preload Adjuster today. It's nicely made, and easy to mount on the SRAM Red 11s 30mm spindle. But when I bolted it all together and adjusted the preload to take out the play, it rubbed against the ridged exterior face of the Wheel MFG PF30 threaded BB I use on the Firefly. So what I ended up doing is putting a thin 30mm ID shim between the preload adjuster and the bearing cover, and that did the trick. The photo is with the bits loose, before being bolted up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Firefly BB30 shim.jpg (47.5 KB, 28 views)