Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2021, 08:15 PM
Everything is connected

I’d send a note to Jan.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:41 PM

I really don't like adjustable struts, and this rack with its crown mounting arm is clearly not a good fit. If it were me, I would have a custom front rack made. Fitz Cyles made a stainless steel rack for my Gangl, perfect fit and execution.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:27 AM

Looks like you need a ~30mm coupling bolt but otherwise, I'd keep the plan the same. Couple the rack to the fender, mount a bag and it'll look ok. Not necessarily constructeur-grade but that's the trade-off with off the shelf stuff. I'll certainly be better than 95% of the racks I see online anyway.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
Looks like you need a ~30mm coupling bolt but otherwise, I'd keep the plan the same. Couple the rack to the fender, mount a bag and it'll look ok. Not necessarily constructeur-grade but that's the trade-off with off the shelf stuff. I'll certainly be better than 95% of the racks I see online anyway.

Yes, this is what I’m going to do first.

I’m not keen on cold setting the rack because I know that it won’t come out as level in all directions as is it now. Also, I don’t mind keeping the gap and using a coupling nut.

Instagram
Old 11-21-2021, 12:08 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post

I’m not keen on cold setting the rack because I know that it won’t come out as level in all directions as is it now. Also, I don’t mind keeping the gap and using a coupling nut.
I think this is wise. I wouldn't touch the rack.

You can also paint the nut after you have an idea of how to fit it. It will make it less obtrusive, particularly if parts of it oxidize.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:08 PM

I too had many issues getting a front rando rack to sit low on my 650b bike. Ended up finding a local welder and frame modifier to cut off the mounting point on the rack and re-weld it to sit lower.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xSiv2pdHgSRUEVCKA

On my other 650b bike I got the Velo Orange constructur rack which has adjustable heights. At the lowest high it is a nice tight fender to rack clearance.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Smitty2k1; 11-21-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post

I have a lathe and know how to use it. I'd make a post with a similar diameter as the rack tubing and tap the inside M5. This would be the same concept as the coupler except I would try and make it look more like an extension of the rack. This would allow me to cut the length just right. I'd also try and angle it down from the rack at the same angle as the struts going down to the fork blades. This would make it appear like it was all planned.

I could even do this without my lathe but of course when you have the right tool, it makes sense to use it. The steps are obvious but I'll outline them anyway. I'd attach the post to the rack 1st. Then I might try to alter the angle of the rack bolt just a bit to match the strut angle with the home made coupler. I might have to slant the cut off on the other end just a smidge to make it fit tighter to the fender at the perfect length. Then the hole in the finder could be drilled and an M5 button head socket screw would keep the two tightly together.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:32 PM

I might have missed something in the thread but I don't quite see the need to secure the fender to the rack unless you've already encountered some kind of stability problem. I have VO hammered fenders with rando rack mounted without any contact between. I haven't had any issues.

I got a guy who does custom decaleurs and rack mods if you need to go that route. He stays busy as most of these guys do, but I can get you contact info if needed.