Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 11-01-2018, 01:34 PM

Competent fitter in San Francisco?

My last full fit was 20 years ago when racing. Since then and 4 bikes later somehow my saddle height dropped (likely my careless x-fer of measurements to new bikes). I had my fit to current bike looked at earlier this year and saddle was raised (results in terms of performance are outstanding).

I fell pretty well dialed into my bike now and looking for new bike. I'd like a "someone" to look at my existing fit; possibly make changes/corrections and help me document that so I can match it up to bikes I look at (to know if it will fit).

Seems everyone wants to put me through a Retul or the like type session. Not sure if I really need that; but if that is required so be it.

Who is the go-to in SF?
Old 11-01-2018, 02:10 PM

Craig Upton up in Mill Valley. He does a superb job of dialing in fit with where a rider wants to go with their cycling performance instead of "this looks good", which seems to be the norm around here, and doesn't have any shop/brand affiliations to deal with.

Tell him Nate sent you.

http://www.craigupton.com/craigupton/Welcome.html
Old 11-01-2018, 09:56 PM

Thanks. Will investigate.

Anyone worth a look in SF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
Craig Upton up in Mill Valley. He does a superb ajob of dialing in fit with where a rider wants to go with their cycling performance instead of "this looks good", which seems to be the norm around here, and doesn't have any shop/brand affiliations to deal with.

Tell him Nate sent you.

http://www.craigupton.com/craigupton/Welcome.html
Old 11-02-2018, 07:00 PM

Ari at Bespoke.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:27 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRietz View Post
Ari at Bespoke.
When I came back to road cycling I took him a calfee luna 54 (eTT 54.8) I bought used. He swapped the stem for a 100x +17d stem to jack me up and pull me in - maybe 3cm bar drop.

I am currently riding frames with eTT 56.0 - 56.5 and 110 x -10d stem with 8cm bar drop.

To this day I wonder why he kept me on such a short and tall set up as there is no change in my physiology or flexibility. Looking back, that was money wasted with him.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:55 PM

Caesar @ 3D Bikefit. They have options for the fit package you are looking for. Bush and Larkin.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:42 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhan89 View Post
Caesar @ 3D Bikefit. They have options for the fit package you are looking for. Bush and Larkin.
Caesar is a pretty cool guy - I remember him from when he was also splitting time at RCCSF

A few years ago I went with a friend to be fit at 3D (ceasar was there but did not do the fit) and that experience led me to question the whole process of fit. The fitter put the dots on Jim and lasered him. The computer spit out all these fractional angle and length measures. I kept thinking that the precision of these measures was based on the imprecision of the dot placements. Hard time reconciling being precise from a place that is imprecise

The fitter then made some stem and bar changes. Completely scratched up my pal's carbon bar since the guy had no idea how to deal with a ritchey C260. probably should have told him what to do but it happened so fast. Now we are into the "how does it fell" aspect of fit...for both bar drop, reach, width.

Maybe the laser is good for setback and saddle height. but I didnt see that applying to the bar. Part of the fit deferred to the specialized a$$-o-meter - hey you need to buy this 143 blah blah blah.

In the end I did not know what to conclude after the $300+ and the component purchases.

I'm not negative on fitting. I consider myself lucky I can fit stock frames and no pain all day long. but I think it's good to ask yourself what you are trying to achieve. If you are on the right frame size, then it should be easy enough to do some simple experimentation with stem length, bar drop, saddle height and setback. so why spend that $300? Or maybe I am just not the target customer?
Old 11-14-2018, 12:02 AM
Gallant C.

I’ve had 2 bikes fitted by Kevin at 3DBikeFit in SF. Was recommended to me by a friend who is a triathlete. I did the 3D advanced video fit. I think Kevin is the owner and Cesar works with him. Was a big improvement for me after the fit and it’s cool to be able to see your before and after video and the improved fluidity.

Kevin can also help dial in fit by testing different saddles, bars, and custom shoe insoles. Was not inexpensive but for me was worth the cost. I plan to bring any new bikes I buy to Kevin for fitting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-14-2018, 01:47 AM

Lots of different approaches to fit. Fit the rider to the bike, or get the best fit for the rider?

I think you need a fitter than can fit without all the tech but uses tech to tighten everything up and validate his experience / “eye.”

I feel good on my fit; if I had to guess I’d say I am 95% “there” so it will be interesting to see results / modifications in position.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:21 AM

Thanks, pdmtong. Have been on the fence about Ari but have read some rave reviews and some not so rave reviews.

Re: Craig Upton.. went to him for a fit because Chad recommended him. My first bike fit when I just started really riding. Took him my Riv (only bike I had and purchased here on the forums) and just got the feeling the whole time that since I wasn't a racer that he wasn't that into it. He spent most of the time talking to some guy that walked in. Wasn't sure if he was really paying attention. Barely spoke to me. Left feeling disappointed and kinda like.. why did I drive 2 hrs, leave early on a work day to feel like this and then pay good $ on top of that.

May work fine for you since you're a racer (or ex-racer) and he can connect with you more. I feel like I've gotten more care and real fitting from Mark @ Velotech or Matt at Red Lantern even when I didn't pay for a full on 3 hr fitting.

Last edited by roguedog; 11-14-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:23 AM

If I lived around there I go see Mike Varley at Black Mountain Cycles. That guy has a ton of experience, and though he might not be in the list of "fitters", I'd trust what he told me vs. a lot of other BS that's out there. His bikes are a good example of what cycling is all about, IMHO. Not racing, but riding, versatility, and comfort.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:31 AM

I guess that leaves the Q that the party needing a fit needs to do their assessment(s) of the available fitters to their needs.

Would you do a full fit for best position (for your body/riding) on your bike, or would you want the fit done one a fit cycle (i.e. some device that you edit bar, stem, saddle, etc positions)?

Can it be done on your bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post

Left feeling disappointed and kinda like.. why did I drive 2 hrs, leave early on a work day to feel like this and then pay good $ on top of that.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:42 AM

I can’t say enough good things about Rick Yu in Berkeley. Old school fitter, will take the time to actually go riding with you. Best fit I’ve ever had. I’m not so keen on the machine approach. To each his own. Pm me if you want his contact info. Btw, he makes trips to SF.

Last edited by Duende; 11-14-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:04 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallant View Post
I’ve had 2 bikes fitted by Kevin at 3DBikeFit in SF. Was recommended to me by a friend who is a triathlete. I did the 3D advanced video fit. I think Kevin is the owner and Cesar works with him. Was a big improvement for me after the fit and it’s cool to be able to see your before and after video and the improved fluidity.

Kevin can also help dial in fit by testing different saddles, bars, and custom shoe insoles. Was not inexpensive but for me was worth the cost. I plan to bring any new bikes I buy to Kevin for fitting!
I did not see the magic you experienced with kevin when 3D fit my pal. It just seemed like they were walking through the basic specialized software program
and then using the output as a way to open up his wallet for components. So buyer should not walk into this blind and just let themselves be shepherded. That said, if I had issues and someone said these things and $$$ could fix it and I believed in the process I would surely pay it. Life is too short to be uncomfortable on the bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo1 View Post
Lots of different approaches to fit. Fit the rider to the bike, or get the best fit for the rider?

I think you need a fitter than can fit without all the tech but uses tech to tighten everything up and validate his experience / “eye.”

I feel good on my fit; if I had to guess I’d say I am 95% “there” so it will be interesting to see results / modifications in position.
is the fit for comfort/pain elimination or for power increase? or does one fit fdo both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
Thanks, pdmtong. Have been on the fence about Ari but have read some rave reviews and some not so rave reviews.

Re: Craig Upton.. went to him for a fit because Chad recommended him. My first bike fit when I just started really riding. Took him my Riv (only bike I had and purchased here on the forums) and just got the feeling the whole time that since I wasn't a racer that he wasn't that into it. He spent most of the time talking to some guy that walked in. Wasn't sure if he was really paying attention. Barely spoke to me. Left feeling disappointed and kinda like.. why did I drive 2 hrs, leave early on a work day to feel like this and then pay good $ on top of that.

May work fine for you since you're a racer (or ex-racer) and he can connect with you more. I feel like I've gotten more care and real fitting from Mark @ Velotech or Matt at Red Lantern even when I didn't pay for a full on 3 hr fitting.
Did you move back to the bay area? I forgot.
> Ari...that calfee was my first real road bike (had been mtb the 10-15 years prior) and not knowing anything about road fit at that time I bought it based on the is the hub in front of or behind the bars bicycling magazine fit method (don't laugh, I know how dumb that reads but I had no clue and no friends to help). so now I have a 54. surely he sees I am a recreational rider but shortening me and jacking me? he was waaaaaay off. who is 5'10 with a 75.0 saddle and riding on a 54? even me with a non-fit background now knows that is not even close, especially when i was complaining that to feel comfortable going downhill i needed to slide my butt back on the saddle a lot
> Craig - that is just WRONG
> mark and matt...they are definitely old school on fit but also they pay attention and treat folks properly.

Last edited by pdmtong; 11-14-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:22 PM

I want the fit for proper mechanics and ideal position for front end. I don't have pain nor am I seeking a few more watts, but I am also not getting younger / more flexible. I also want the specs to buy a new bike. That's another story.

Proper fit is different based on the rides needs. I don't need max power, others do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
is the fit for comfort/pain elimination or for power increase? or does one fit fdo both?