Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 08-31-2018, 11:51 PM
PNW's Avatar
PNW PNW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 1,339
Man...it was okay for a bit but has gotten worse. I’ve been icing it continually and stretching as well but even sitting on the couch and relaxing isn’t comfortable. When I lay in bend I have to put a pillow in between my legs now. Something is wrong and have no idea what to do.
__________________
Moots VaMoots CR SR 11~
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-01-2018, 07:26 AM
mdeth1313 mdeth1313 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 57
You mentioned one leg is longer than the other - do you know if it's structural or functional? (structural being either an injury or something from birth that caused one leg to be longer than the other - functional is the result of muscular imbalance or lack of flexibility)

I had the same issue and it was functional. A lack of flexibility/strength was causing it. If they addressed it with a shim and it's not structural you're doing more harm.

It was when I saw a physical therapist that issue was solved.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-01-2018, 10:30 AM
charliedid's Avatar
charliedid charliedid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW View Post
Man...it was okay for a bit but has gotten worse. I’ve been icing it continually and stretching as well but even sitting on the couch and relaxing isn’t comfortable. When I lay in bend I have to put a pillow in between my legs now. Something is wrong and have no idea what to do.
It's too difficult to do this online but...do you do any running or walking? Do you have the same symptoms wen doing those activities? Do you ride other bikes and is it the same with all bikes?

Have you seen a Physical Therapist? Who diagnosed the "shorter" leg? As was asked before, is it really structural or just functional?

I feel your pain....almost always. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-01-2018, 10:36 AM
charliedid's Avatar
charliedid charliedid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
You mentioned one leg is longer than the other - do you know if it's structural or functional? (structural being either an injury or something from birth that caused one leg to be longer than the other - functional is the result of muscular imbalance or lack of flexibility)

I had the same issue and it was functional. A lack of flexibility/strength was causing it. If they addressed it with a shim and it's not structural you're doing more harm.

It was when I saw a physical therapist that issue was solved.
^ I'm with you on this. I dislike that the bike fitting industrial complex demands that all of us have shims or wedges. Ugh...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-01-2018, 11:24 AM
PNW's Avatar
PNW PNW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 1,339
I don’t have any shims. When I was being fit to my bike, the fitter measured and mentioned that one leg was longer than the other (not sure how accurate he was). As far as I know, it wasn’t a birth issue. I’m guessing it’s muscular/flexibility. I have been doing a fair amount of stretching and this hasn’t really helped.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Moots VaMoots CR SR 11~
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-01-2018, 11:27 AM
PNW's Avatar
PNW PNW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
It's too difficult to do this online but...do you do any running or walking? Do you have the same symptoms wen doing those activities? Do you ride other bikes and is it the same with all bikes?



Have you seen a Physical Therapist? Who diagnosed the "shorter" leg? As was asked before, is it really structural or just functional?



I feel your pain....almost always. :-)


I do walking with my wife and dog as well as hiking. I’ve never experienced the knee issue before with any of these activities. I’m 28, healthy, and stay pretty active. The bike I have is the only one I ride and fits me great.

The one who diagnosed the shorter leg is the fitter that I saw so I’m not sure of the validity to his claim. I’m going to say it’s functional. I’m not aware of any birth issue or structure issue. I’ve never had problems with my knee.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Moots VaMoots CR SR 11~
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-01-2018, 05:08 PM
mdeth1313 mdeth1313 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW View Post
I don’t have any shims. When I was being fit to my bike, the fitter measured and mentioned that one leg was longer than the other (not sure how accurate he was). As far as I know, it wasn’t a birth issue. I’m guessing it’s muscular/flexibility. I have been doing a fair amount of stretching and this hasn’t really helped.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stretching on it's own won't help. Won't hurt, but my PT had to show me how to get my legs aligned. It's a funky stretch laying on my back with my feet up on a wall. After stretching the shorter leg, I have to pull on my hip as I bring the other (stretched) leg back towards my body. Your issue could be different. Doing that after the rest of my stretching each day got my body back into alignment. I rarely have to do it anymore.

If you can see a PT it could solve a lot of problems. I rode with issues for years. 2 rounds of PT and I'm pain free and when I do feel something I can correct it.

At least your fitter didn't shim your shorter leg.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-02-2018, 04:17 PM
charliedid's Avatar
charliedid charliedid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,747
[QUOTE=PNW;2419579]I do walking with my wife and dog as well as hiking. I’ve never experienced the knee issue before with any of these activities. I’m 28, healthy, and stay pretty active. The bike I have is the only one I ride and fits me great.

The one who diagnosed the shorter leg is the fitter that I saw so I’m not sure of the validity to his claim. I’m going to say it’s functional. I’m not aware of any birth issue or structure issue. I’ve never had problems with my knee.




I'd see a PT and maybe a second look at your fit and riding style.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-26-2018, 01:06 PM
Bici-Sonora Bici-Sonora is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 46
Plus one on the stretching--that cured my right knee pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalspeedsk8r View Post
If all your fit parameters are good then you might want to do what most cyclist don't do- stretch. If you don't have a foam roller, get one. Every cyclist shouldn't be without one.

Scott
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-28-2018, 03:00 PM
RaymondM RaymondM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post
Plus one on the stretching--that cured my right knee pain.
A lot of people underestimate warming up, but even more, underestimate stretching AFTER the cycling/ exercise/ whatever.

I've had issues with knees (both) then started paying attention to stretching, it helped a looot.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-06-2018, 05:57 PM
owly owly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: australia
Posts: 259
Excuse my bumping in here, but can anyone suggest what the cause of pain may be just below the bottom of the kneecap, at the outside of the knee?

Right knee only. Nothing major, but would like to sort it out.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.