Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 07-13-2018, 05:59 PM

Tensor fascia lata pain

I'm getting pain in my right tensor fascia lata on my road bike. It also seems to lead to a tight IT band, which in turn causes a popping sensation when I walk. I think it is my IT snapping over the trochanter of my femur. Anyone else have this issue? I'm wondering if a shorter crank arm would help? Obviously, I need to do more foam rolling and probably hit a Physical Therapist as well.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:57 AM

I'd think it is more of an alignment issue then crank length. I'd think too long a crank will cause knee pain before IT band issues.

What did you change to bring on the issue?
Old 07-14-2018, 11:48 AM

AS above, could be an alignment issue. Falling off to the left due to too high of a saddle is a guess.

Massaging the TFL with a lacrosse ball and then stretching it (can be quite difficult to get a good TFL stretch, but tensing your glute should help) should provide some instant relief.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:35 PM

It's a new bike, so I guess everything changed. I got fit for my CX bike, but for the roadie, I winged it. It's certainly a more aggressive setup. It's a Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0, the seatpost is elliptical shaped, so I don't think it can be off center or that the saddle can be tilted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I'd think it is more of an alignment issue then crank length. I'd think too long a crank will cause knee pain before IT band issues.

What did you change to bring on the issue?
Old 07-14-2018, 04:14 PM

I had a stubborn TFL problem last year (resulting from an issue with my foot). This exercise helped me. The same fellow also has a good video on how to stretch the TFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPoMgw5pMMk
Old 07-14-2018, 04:49 PM

Same shoes and cleats for both bikes? If not, start there.

I'd just go back to riding the CX bike to see if it goes away.
Then you pretty much know the set-up is slightly off on the road bike. You just have to measure it out.

Seat tube angle differs so probably where you are sitting relative to the bottom bracket at a different horizontal distance.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:30 PM

Thanks, Tab, I've watched this guy but hadn't seen this video. Seems like a good way to isolate the TFL. The other stretches seem hard to do properly. Out of curiosity, how did a foot injury cause a TFL problem? I feel like I'm getting the reverse situation - some pain on the outside of my foot that I assume is a result of IT band tightness (at least I think the IT runs all the way down to the foot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab123 View Post
I had a stubborn TFL problem last year (resulting from an issue with my foot). This exercise helped me. The same fellow also has a good video on how to stretch the TFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPoMgw5pMMk
Old 07-15-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourspin View Post
Thanks, Tab, I've watched this guy but hadn't seen this video. Seems like a good way to isolate the TFL. The other stretches seem hard to do properly. Out of curiosity, how did a foot injury cause a TFL problem? I feel like I'm getting the reverse situation - some pain on the outside of my foot that I assume is a result of IT band tightness (at least I think the IT runs all the way down to the foot).
According to my chiro, the cuboid bone in my foot was out of place. I had lots of pain on the outside of my foot and walked oddly (or more oddly than usual) for a few months as I tried rolling and all sorts of other things to cure the problem. The pain and dysfunction essentially moved up the chain to the head of the tibia and then my TFL. Taping my foot to support the cuboid and lots of painful footwork have helped the whole chain. The exercise in that video helped to shut off my TFL. I hope you get relief soon!