Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 03-28-2018, 06:24 PM
Classics Fan

Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
Did he figure out what was causing the issues? I'm always skeptical of fitters that make changes to the bike, but don't give any advice on changing the rider.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
^ The question I have is how is your fore-aft weight distribution now that you've raised up your saddle and moved it forward (by how much?) and extended your stem length by ~3/4 in? Did the setback stay the same after the saddle corrections? So, what's the upshot? How does it feel? Curious...
So weight distribution has shifted slightly forward, putting me 'almost' dead center on the frame. With the wider saddle and having BOTH sitbones now making contact I'm finding myself no longer moving as much as i did in past and with my orangutan arms and log torso the added length up front was Godsend. It was very easy to tell that with the shorter stem I was hunching/arching back and now my back is MUCH more flat. The seatpost is now grabbing the rails in dead center of the saddle and this has resulted in me powering down through the pedals instead of 'pushing' the pedal (think recumbent)

First ride was 30ish yesterday and I probably went a little harder than I should have and it resulted in just tad bit of behind the knee pain.....so without consulting fitter I just lowered it tiny tiny bit and after 25 mile commute this morning it felt great. I will gradually raise it back once I get more miles on new setup.

Overall it feels night and day. Both knees are tracking much MUCH more straight, instead of heel out on one and heel in on the other I feel like legs are naturally more inline. Back when I was racing I would spend the majority of time in the drops, and for last couple years I was grabbing more hoods and tops but on yesterdays ride and todays commute I was back to riding in the drops and it felt great.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Did he figure out what was causing the issues? I'm always skeptical of fitters that make changes to the bike, but don't give any advice on changing the rider.
Excellent point. I should have mentioned in my original post that he strongly suggested I get into PT right away to address tightness in my hips. Problem wasn't tight hamstrings, as matter of fact I have above average flexibility in hamstrings, but it's my hips that are extremely tight and were causing a lot of my issues.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Excellent point. I should have mentioned in my original post that he strongly suggested I get into PT right away to address tightness in my hips. Problem wasn't tight hamstrings, as matter of fact I have above average flexibility in hamstrings, but it's my hips that are extremely tight and were causing a lot of my issues.
I've been dealing with hamstring pain for the past 1.5 years. Did tons of physio, dry needling, rolling, massage, chiro...
What FINALLY started helping, was simply getting into the gym and doing some serious strength work on my hips/glutes. In fact, the glute on the leg that had the hamstring pain was visibly atrophied compared to the other side. I think I have some underlying causes of that, pelvic asymmetries/weaknesses, etc., but yeah, it required active strengthening.
I think physio can help diagnose things, but don't waste money on the passive treatments they offer.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:22 AM

Another rider here w/hip issues. Generally tight and a bit weak in some areas. Horrible combination that will translate into symptoms felt in places that have a working relationship with the hips.

RE: Weight distribution. I'm often battling this. Had a "Retul" fit about 1.5yrs ago. Overall the fit is GREAT...when I'm at or above FTP. Anything below that it's a bit forward-biased for my liking. Nothing scientific, but the feeling seems to improve after working on my core strength a bit. There quite possibly be something to this whole "improve the rider" bit...eh? ;-)

I've also noticed that the balance feels a bit bitter when I'm lower on the bike (in the drops or crouched/aero on hoods). Sounds like more core/flexability/yoga work is in my future...
Old 04-06-2018, 10:40 AM

I used to have hamstring pain when I had my saddle pushed back too far (following the Lemond method where he advocated a pushed back saddle in his book).