Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 01-08-2018, 12:36 PM

i think your fit looks pretty good to be honest. i mean you are in jeans and a t shirt, so thats not easy to see whats what... but if you were to be pedalling and actually working i think you would bend your elbows and flatten your back more, and you would look more "normal" on the bike.

Id be tempted to try a 120 stem, but more than 10cm drop? why?
Old 01-08-2018, 03:20 PM

if not previously mentioned, lower your saddle.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojan View Post
Height is a REALLY poor indicator of fit... then sizing numbers (i.e. 56) means NOTHING as there's no standard how they are measured or even what the measurement actually means (i.e. measured from different points... center-center vs. center-top vs. center-virtual point, or my favorite virtual point-virtual point).

Looking at the pics, you look very upright... is there any reason why you have been fitted so short? Prior injuries/issues?

With "normal" (another word I hate...) flexibility and core strength, you should have longer reach and potentially more drop (although that's a really tough one to determine from the pics...)
Height and fit have nothing to do with each other.

However, height is a useful metric when picking out frames because all frames combine stack (which is powered by leg length) and reach (which comes from upper body and arm length). Height is a single number that reflects leg and upper body lengths together, which works better than just looking at leg length.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Height and fit have nothing to do with each other.

However, height is a useful metric when picking out frames because all frames combine stack (which is powered by leg length) and reach (which comes from upper body and arm length). Height is a single number that reflects leg and upper body lengths together, which works better than just looking at leg length.
Not really... stack is measured center BB to top of head tube in a vertical line. Reach is measured same points horizontal line. Hence, stack is only partially related to leg length, but more so with core strength and flexibility (which also impacts reach...). Still height is a crappy indicator of frame size even if you do know the brand/model... You can take 3 people of exactly the same height, pick the same brand/model, have one fit a 52, another fit a 54 and the third fitting a 56. Take out the common denominator of the same brand/model and you're really adding too many variable to have any clear indication of fit...

http://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/i...tackreach3.jpg

Last edited by audiojan; 01-08-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Not really... stack is measured center BB to top of head tube in a vertical line. Reach is measured same points horizontal line. Hence, stack is only partially related to leg length, but more so with core strength and flexibility (which also impacts reach...). Still height is a crappy indicator of frame size even if you do know the brand/model... You can take 3 people of exactly the same height, pick the same brand/model, have one fit a 52, another fit a 54 and the third fitting a 56. Take out the common denominator of the same brand/model and you're really adding too many variable to have any clear indication of fit...

http://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/i...tackreach3.jpg
"Stack" is a number that reflects how high vertically above our feet we need the handlebar to be to comfortably bend over to grasp it. That is dependent on our legs more than anything else.

"Reach" is a number that indicates how far horizontally the bars are going to be from hips, since we are bending he upper body toward horizontal to grasp the bars.

Three people of the same height but different proportions will often ride the same size frame for a given model. Take three people who are 5'10" on a 56:

A guy with short legs and long torso will have a low saddle height which makes a larger frame a bad idea, but his proportionately long reach makes a smaller size have too little reach. So he lowers the saddle and uses a stem one increment longer than stock and slammed.

The "normally" proportioned guy puts his saddle at the expected height for the frame and gets a good reach on the stock stem and a few spacers. No reason to make either stack or reach more or less with a different frame size.

The long legged guy puts his seat up higher than average and adds more stack spacers while going to a shorter stem than stock. His legs suggest going up in frame size to use fewer spacers, but his short upper body would require a very short stem. His short upper body suggest going down in frame size, but then the stack would be too low from his saddle height.

These are generalizations, but they illustrate why you can't ignore height to focus on one attribute or another, because stock bikes grow vertically and horizontally together. You can switch models for different fit, and tall head tubes have been great for leggy people. But when sizing people for a specific model bike, height makes the most sense as a starting point.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
"
Let's just agree to disagree...
Old 01-08-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Let's just agree to disagree...
That would be okay, if I could tell what exactly you're disagreeing with.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:07 PM
cmg

the landshark has a 2.5 cm shorter toptube with the same length headtube. you might have to go to a longer 130mm stem to get the bars where they are on the GURO but that is if both frames share the same Seat tube angle and bottom bracket drop. if you feel stretched out on the current frame the shorter Landshark might be better.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:05 PM

Seem to remember ebaumann having a pretty cool landshark for sale in the classifieds that might be closer to your present size frame.