Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2015, 11:51 AM

So I used the dissolving solvent. It was still a chore to clean the rims and they didn't come out perfect but it does soften up the glue nicely. On vittoria mastik it needed more than 12 hours though. More like 24 but there was a ton of glue on there.

Racing two Carogna'd tires this weekend. I'll report back. I took the rear to the Wednesday night training session this week and it held just fine. I didn't have the front ready yet but I just took it out for a quick lunch ride in the woods near my office and it was all good.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:08 PM
kg

Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Good luck this weekend.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Good luck this weekend.
Thanks!
Old 08-28-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
So I used the dissolving solvent. It was still a chore to clean the rims and they didn't come out perfect but it does soften up the glue nicely. On vittoria mastik it needed more than 12 hours though. More like 24 but there was a ton of glue on there.
had similar results with the dissolving solvent so far. approach was basically brush it on, wait 24 hours, use a screwdriver to scrape off the real thick glue. then goo gone and a rag and some elbow-grease to get through the rest. wasn't TOO bad, but not as easy as they make it sound either. it helps for sure and it's super easy to apply and just wait, obviously. I was just hoping it was even easier, I guess.

I'm gonna soak the other wheel in the solvent for much longer (several days). see how that goes...
Old 09-01-2015, 07:23 AM

So I raced both days this weekend on just a taped rear wheel. I flatted the front tire (nothing to do with the tape, of course) on my first warmup lap Saturday. RIP Rocket Ron.

Anyway, the tape held great. No issues on two courses with plenty of opportunity for a poorly glued tire to roll (and roll one did, completely off its owner's rim, according to my girlfriend's account). I'm not the most graceful when I'm in the red, and I weigh 190, so a bad remount on a slightly off camber section can really test a rear tire's bond to the rim. So far, so good. Obviously, two races are not enough to declare the tape an unmitigated success, but it hasn't failed yet either.

Now, to try to get my flatted tire off the rim before my next races the weekend of the 12th!
Old 09-01-2015, 08:15 AM
kg

Thank you for the really helpful report.

How did the race go?
Old 09-01-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the really helpful report.

How did the race go?
Saturday was a disaster thanks to the pre-race flat and scrambling to get a wheel then to the start line. I started in the back and still don't know how i finished but it was a really fun, hilly race and was great training, which is the point of these early season races anyway.

Sunday I got to the line on time and finished 14th out of 47 finishers/50-odd starters. Not an amazing result considering i'm a 4, but I'm really happy with it since I've started past seasons really badly, and I was on a WTB Nano 40mm front clincher to boot.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:00 AM

'The idea of a tape that could chop hours off of attaching tubular tires yet would adhere just as well as a superior gluing job would obviously be a game-changer for tubular users for the reasons you list.
'
Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/...odVBQXhkFKF.99

Really? I know Zinn is a bike expert and all but I don't think it takes me more then 15-20 minutes to mount a tubular. Just did one the other night. It's not hard.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
'The idea of a tape that could chop hours off of attaching tubular tires yet would adhere just as well as a superior gluing job would obviously be a game-changer for tubular users for the reasons you list.
'
Really? I know Zinn is a bike expert and all but I don't think it takes me more then 15-20 minutes to mount a tubular. Just did one the other night. It's not hard.
I believe zinn was talking about when you have several wheel sets to glue, not saying a single wheel/set takes hours.

just finished up my first set. cleaning the old glue off two wheels with their cleaner and some goo gone took about two hours. taping both wheels took about half an hour. so...not too bad. the taping part was an incredibly easy process. not gonna race 'em just yet but i'll practice with them this week and report back.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:31 PM

First race on the taped wheels this weekend. Ran 25psi at the front of a 2/3/4 field and there were zero issues. Tons of severe off cambers and fast sweeping downhill turns. If there were coming off, they would have.

If the tape holds up for a season (20-25 races) I doubt I'll ever go back to glue.

Some tips on applying:

In the Velonews video it shows him trimming down the tape to fit the width of the rim. I still haven't found a good way to do this. I tried the xacto knife method and the tape broke about half way when pulling it out to glue down. After a mini panic attack the other side I hadn't trimmed was fine. The 2nd tire I thought I would try not cutting and peel the glue off afterwords. Tape didn't break but glue was veryyy hard to clean up. With this problem solved (hopefully they add more width options) I could mount 2 tires in under 10 minutes.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:05 PM
kg

Total tape failure - what went wrong?

My first outing with Effetto Mariposa Carogna tubular tape was a total and very disappointing failure. I followed the directions included in the product and those provided by Lennard Zinn in his video to the letter.

Here is what I did:
1) Stretch brand new Vittoria CXIII tubulars on brand new Bontrager Aeolus 5 d3 rims for three weeks.
2) Clean rim surface and base tape of tubulars with isopropyl alcohol. Let dry.
3) Apply Carogna (M width) tape to each rim bed and then push down with a piece of plastic that mirrored the shape of the rim bed.
4) Peel back a bit of the pink contact tape.
5) Mount tubular, pump to 60psi, straighten, and then pull out the pink contact tape.
6) Inflate tubular to 150psi.
7) Leave mounted tubulars for 26 hours in the house with thermostat set at 81 degrees.

Then I brought them into my LBS to have them checked. Within five seconds, the mechanic said "no way". With the tires deflated, the tubular peels easily off the tape everywhere and the tape peels somewhat easily off the rim in at least several places.

Unfortunately, I can't race these in my A race tomorrow. In addition, I'm out the cost of the tape and, pending what happens with removal, I'll see how the brand new tires fare.

Any ideas about what might have gone wrong? I was sooooo excited about this product and it was actually part of my motivation for buying tubular wheels. I know that others have had very good experiences with Carogna. That obviously points to an error in my application, but I can稚 see what might have gone wrong. Please send me your thoughts.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
where are you folks ordering the tape and cleaning solvent from? thx!
I use Goof Off to remove old glue from the rims....Home Depot and others carry it. Buy a large bottle as depending on how many layer of glue are on the rim, it could take a while. I wear rubber gloves under an old sock and that does the trick. Soak, rub and repeat.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
My first outing with Effetto Mariposa Carogna tubular tape was a total and very disappointing failure. I followed the directions included in the product and those provided by Lennard Zinn in his video to the letter.

Here is what I did:
1) Stretch brand new Vittoria CXIII tubulars on brand new Bontrager Aeolus 5 d3 rims for three weeks.
3) Apply Carogna (M width) tape to each rim bed and then push down with a piece of plastic that mirrored the shape of the rim bed.
5) Mount tubular, pump to 60psi, straighten, and then pull out the pink contact tape.
7) Leave mounted tubulars for 26 hours in the house with thermostat set at 81 degrees.

Then I brought them into my LBS to have them checked. Within five seconds, the mechanic said "no way". With the tires deflated, the tubular peels easily off the tape everywhere and the tape peels somewhat easily off the rim in at least several places.

Unfortunately, I can't race these in my A race tomorrow. In addition, I'm out the cost of the tape and, pending what happens with removal, I'll see how the brand new tires fare.

Any ideas about what might have gone wrong? I was sooooo excited about this product and it was actually part of my motivation for buying tubular wheels. I know that others have had very good experiences with Carogna. That obviously points to an error in my application, but I can稚 see what might have gone wrong. Please send me your thoughts.
Sounds like you did everything right. I've only used it on CX tubulars but that shouldn't make a difference. Another race on a freshly-taped wheel today (and one I've ridden a number of times already), another day without any failures. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. Let us know if you determine a cause.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:37 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Here is what I did:

Have the good bike wrench show you how to glue on tubulars, with a solvent brush and can of Vittoria or Panaracer.

Have no idea what went wrong either but from the list above..how is this 'easier' than just gluing the things on the 'old fashioned' way. BTW-hellofalot cheaper to just glue also.

'26 hours in a 81 degree room' funny. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Learn to glue, glue. Not rocket surgery.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-12-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:16 PM

Not dissimilar from our experiments with the stuff a couple months ago. We're going to keep trying, but it's been inconsistent. We still find that Mastik One beats all comers, every time. That's road, track, cross, and gluing up the family dog.

Also, GoofOff is a complex blend of light petrochemicals. Some of it just flashes right off quickly, some stays as a film on the rim. If you use it, always clean up afterwards with acetone. And it's just bought as a low-cost fraction in a refinery, so it varies from batch to batch. I've seen some that worked fine on carbon rims, then the next bottle damaged the resin. Life is too short. I stay away from it. I'll get a bottle of acetone, a bottle of methyl ethyl ketone, a bottle of toluene, etc. Home Depot carries them all. This stuff is all flammable (as is GoofOff), so be careful with it, and some is toxic on your skin or in your lungs (as is GoofOff). But at least you know what you're dealing with and results are reproducible.

Tags
carogna, tubular tape