Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2022, 11:35 PM

Wound-Up Forks -- sales?

Anybody know if Wound-Up ever runs sales? I seem to remember there being one a ways back talked about here.. but maybe that was a one-off pandemic thing.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:39 PM

There was a one-off pandemic sale they offered in response to what I believe was a state/local grant. They ended it early because of too much demand. I wouldn't expect another one soon.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
There was a one-off pandemic sale they offered in response to what I believe was a state/local grant. They ended it early because of too much demand. I wouldn't expect another one soon.
Makes sense. I don't mind paying retail to a good company, just figured I'd check.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:42 AM

I'm pretty sure they run a Black Friday sale, but as a previous owner of a WoundUp fork, I'd say you can do much better weight-wise, ride-wise, and looks-wise. Everybody seems to like the idea of these forks, but there are really much better options out there. And just for reference, it was purchased for my (original owner, I might add) late 90s custom steel road frame, painted to match, and was just awful.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:55 AM

I think it was close to, if not the best riding fork I have owned in 50+ years of riding. It is definitely not a WW fork.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:27 AM

I recently finished up a frame building class with a client who ordered a Wound-up. When he ordered it in February it was a 6 week wait. At the end of the class he considered have another fork in order to play with the handling, when he contacted Wound-up in April they said they are now 9-months out! I'm thinking they aren't going to have any sales soon based on that response.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8aaron8 View Post
I recently finished up a frame building class with a client who ordered a Wound-up. When he ordered it in February it was a 6 week wait. At the end of the class he considered have another fork in order to play with the handling, when he contacted Wound-up in April they said they are now 9-months out! I'm thinking they aren't going to have any sales soon based on that response.

Gadzooks! Thinking about one for the Calfee I got - fits the build really well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2022, 10:59 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Anybody know if Wound-Up ever runs sales? I seem to remember there being one a ways back talked about here.. but maybe that was a one-off pandemic thing.

I only ever saw that Covid sale, else full prices 99-44/100% of the time. And free shipping here and there...

PMed you Dan on a NIB 1-1/8" Rim brake fork in my inventory...
Old 05-22-2022, 03:18 PM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
I'm pretty sure they run a Black Friday sale, but as a previous owner of a WoundUp fork, I'd say you can do much better weight-wise, ride-wise, and looks-wise. Everybody seems to like the idea of these forks, but there are really much better options out there. And just for reference, it was purchased for my (original owner, I might add) late 90s custom steel road frame, painted to match, and was just awful.
I agree. Awful riding forks in my experience. And their single bolt seatposts sent multiple friends to the injury list when their bolt failed. Yet plenty of others seem to love them. I've never figured out why.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
I agree. Awful riding forks in my experience. And their single bolt seatposts sent multiple friends to the injury list when their bolt failed. Yet plenty of others seem to love them. I've never figured out why.

This surprises me since Calfee, Seven, and other respected builders have used them in the past. It would be going a bike w 38mm plus tires, so I’m not sure “ride quality” is a factor in the way it would be on a pure road bike.

Old 05-22-2022, 10:06 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Chiming in. Had a Wound up on Serotta ti back in the 90s. Thought it was a great fork. The new Seven midreach looks nice; advertised as taking a 35 knobby. Might be work a call to see if a smooth 38 might fit.

Old 05-22-2022, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
Chiming in. Had a Wound up on Serotta ti back in the 90s. Thought it was a great fork. The new Seven midreach looks nice; advertised as taking a 35 knobby. Might be work a call to see if a smooth 38 might fit.

Good stuff. I'd need the ATC of the Matador but don't want the beef of it and rack mounts..
Old 05-22-2022, 10:22 PM

Putting a gloss clearcoat on the Ritchey fork is going to be a lot cheaper than buying a whole new fork.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:33 AM

I have a disc wound up on my commuter/CX bike. I think it rides great on thr road and less than great offroad. It’s a jackhammer when riding rough trails. That said, if stiff and straight lines are what you want, this has it in spades.

It’s a great fork for more straight ahead riding. If it was me, I’d stick with what you have - that Calfee is one fine steed!
Old 05-23-2022, 10:01 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Good stuff. I'd need the ATC of the Matador but don't want the beef of it and rack mounts..
Ah now I see the bike your working on - nice Calfee!