Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
Not pertinent to the very sad topic at hand, but in Nordic countries the marriage rate between people who (stay together for decades! And) raise children together is much lower than in other western nations, and the word partner doesn’t bat an eye there.
Nor should it. Discussed upthread. Twenty years with my Partner. Not married. Two kids. Separate houses. Honesty, respect, and friendship is the key.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 05-21-2022 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:16 PM

RE: crime entertainment..

I don't think that's it for a lot of us here. There's an immediacy to all this due to the effects of social media and podcasts and youtube, where at some distance you still feel connected to some people more than others. When Mike Hall was struck and killed a few years back, it had more of an impact on me than hearing about xyz celebrity that passed or an anonymous (to me) cycling death I may have heard about. I never met him but felt like I knew him from following and reading and watching his life story on a bike unfold over the years. So there's that. From there it extends into personal experience and empathy, frustrations with the state of the modern world, and all the rest. It's a combination of all of that that has my nerves frayed.

But yeah, if/when or as this gets into the public more, the crime entertainment and media obsession will draw in the masses, sadly. It doesn't take much imagination to see this on Lifetime, Dateline, or 20/20.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
From the anonymous caller information in the affidavit it seems like Armstrong had the mindset to fervently stalk Wilson’s whereabouts, and probably for good reason given what we now know of Strickland behavior.
I imagine you’d rephrase this after thinking about it. Implying that Strickland is responsible for Armstrong’s behavior is contributing to the tired and accepted belief that people aren’t in control of their actions when blinded by jealousy. Particularly women.

Armstrong had zero reason to stalk Wilson, ZERO, just as she had zero reason for murdering her (as accused)

Not that long ago here in Texas, “passion killing” was an accepted argument when trying a man for killing another man involved in an affair with his wife.

Strickland had his part to play in this and more obviously will be revealed. But Armstrong is (was) responsible for her actions.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

More info here
https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/fami...-relationship/

And Armstrong formally charged with 1st degree murder and is on the run....
Old 05-22-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
More info here
https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/fami...-relationship/

And Armstrong formally charged with 1st degree murder and is on the run....
I suppose take their word but when I read that last night my reaction, reasonable or not, was parents rarely know the entire story and the police were reading data on a phone not word of mouth from daughter.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:06 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I suppose take their word but when I read that last night my reaction, reasonable or not, was parents rarely know the entire story and the police were reading data on a phone not word of mouth from daughter.
x10

Think about the things your parents wern't aware of with you. Often parents infer much but seldom get the whole story. Especially in the teens and twenties.
Old 05-22-2022, 05:34 PM

On ABC evening national news tonight.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:14 PM
aka RAEKWON

Its astonishing to me that someone kills someone else and then goes on the run, how stupid can you be thinking that you are going to be able to run forever. So either you put an end to your life like that dude that killed Gaby Petito or you will be found and you are going to jail for a long time.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Its astonishing to me that someone kills someone else and then goes on the run, how stupid can you be thinking that you are going to be able to run forever.
If you run, you have a small, but non-zero, chance of avoiding arrest. Why not try?

(There are quite a few accused murderers who fled justice and were never caught. I can think of two off the top of my head that fled cities where I lived, and simply disappeared, never to be caught.)
Old 05-22-2022, 06:52 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
If you run, you have a small, but non-zero, chance of avoiding arrest. Why not try?

(There are quite a few accused murderers who fled justice and were never caught. I can think of two off the top of my head that fled cities where I lived, and simply disappeared, never to be caught.)

recently? I feel like now its way hard to do in the age of the internet. I guess you can give it a try but your changes are slim. Also where is she going to run to? Mexico? Canada? I am not aware of the law there but I assume they will send her right back here if she gets caught.

Its only a matter of time
Old 05-22-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
recently? I feel like now its way hard to do in the age of the internet. I guess you can give it a try but your changes are slim. Also where is she going to run to? Mexico? Canada? I am not aware of the law there but I assume they will send her right back here if she gets caught.

Its only a matter of time
We're a welcoming bunch up here but I'm 100% sure if she was discovered by authorities here in Canada "Eh" she would be extradited back to the USofA to stand trial for this horrendous crime.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Slim ≠ zero, and it's the only thing that might keep her from going to prison for the rest of her life. And, do you really believe she's thinking rationally right now?
Old 05-22-2022, 07:10 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Slim ≠ zero, and it's the only thing that might keep her from going to prison for the rest of her life. And, do you really believe she's thinking rationally right now?
she hasn't been thinking rationally for a long time it seems
Old 05-22-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
she hasn't been thinking rationally for a long time it seems
Then why are you perplexed by her going on the run?
Old 05-22-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I imagine you’d rephrase this after thinking about it. Implying that Strickland is responsible for Armstrong’s behavior is contributing to the tired and accepted belief that people aren’t in control of their actions when blinded by jealousy. Particularly women.

Armstrong had zero reason to stalk Wilson, ZERO, just as she had zero reason for murdering her (as accused)

Not that long ago here in Texas, “passion killing” was an accepted argument when trying a man for killing another man involved in an affair with his wife.

Strickland had his part to play in this and more obviously will be revealed. But Armstrong is (was) responsible for her actions.
Yeah that was an unfortunate choice of words on my part. There’s zero reason for Armstrong stalking Wilson. Armstrong had every right to question Strickland due to his previous sketchiness but stalking him or anyone else is crossing a line from understandable to criminal

I don’t think Strickland was fully responsible for Armstrong’s behavior, but his past behavior and lying to her certainly didn’t help and certainly did exacerbate her overall mental breakdown and subsequent alleged crimes. No one person is ever fully to blame for another’s harmful actions, but to say there’s no influence nor responsibility is utter nonsense.
Closed Thread