Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 08:18 PM

I keep hoping to run in to some of the cool peeps here as well. Still hasn't happened unfortunately. Maybe west Michigan isn't well represented! Your story is pretty cool.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:08 PM

I'm sitting in a paceline at a Fondo, guy comes off the front and is rotating to the back, looks at my Della Santa and goes "You the FlashUNC from the Paceline?" "Yup." "Man, you really hate Peter Sagan, huh?"

And rotates back to the back of the line.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
Good stuff.
I have bought and sold stuff to a guy whose wife used to workout with my wife. We used to send parts with them to personal training and called it express shipping. Love stuff like that.
You are much more risk tolerant than me. "oh by the way, how much did your husband sell this for?"

No thanks.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:11 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I'm sitting in a paceline at a Fondo, guy comes off the front and is rotating to the back, looks at my Della Santa and goes "You the FlashUNC from the Paceline?" "Yup." "Man, you really hate Peter Sagan, huh?"

And rotates back to the back of the line.
That is too funny. . Peter's fame has become your fame.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:16 AM

Cool story.

While bike touring in NorCal a few years ago I was in a market in Gualala and ran into an old friend from college days on the East Coast I'd not seen or heard from in over 25 years.

My brother was playing a round of golf in Rhode Island and was grouped with someone in a foursome that, they came to discover, had lived in the same house in Virginia that we lived in 35 years prior.

speaking of PL fame, at D2R2 a few years back-lots of PL-ers obviously- I asked a rider if he was eBAUMANN and he said no but I was like fourth or fifth guy that had asked him that. Cant recall why I suspected he might be.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:06 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
.asked a rider if he was eBAUMANN and he said no but I was like fourth or fifth guy that had asked him that.
I was the first. He denied.

I sent Bumblebee. He also denied.

Then I sent Angry. He still denied.

At that point, I decided he's DEFINITELY eBAUMANN.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Cool story.

While bike touring in NorCal a few years ago I was in a market in Gualala and ran into an old friend from college days on the East Coast I'd not seen or heard from in over 25 years.

My brother was playing a round of golf in Rhode Island and was grouped with someone in a foursome that, they came to discover, had lived in the same house in Virginia that we lived in 35 years prior.

speaking of PL fame, at D2R2 a few years back-lots of PL-ers obviously- I asked a rider if he was eBAUMANN and he said no but I was like fourth or fifth guy that had asked him that. Cant recall why I suspected he might be.

I am pretty sure there were a few people in his crew that had imshi jersey’s which were his frame brand iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2020, 11:21 AM

Love that!
Old 01-18-2020, 11:53 AM

A few years ago I went to sell Imaking20 a pair of wheels - only to find out he was also in Portland - and then to find out he worked downtown too - and then the SW Waterfront - and then....well, turns out he was one floor down from me working for the same company..

Small world indeed.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
A few years ago I went to sell Imaking20 a pair of wheels - only to find out he was also in Portland - and then to find out he worked downtown too - and then the SW Waterfront - and then....well, turns out he was one floor down from me working for the same company..

Small world indeed.
That's a good one! Love these "Paceline coincidences."
Old 01-18-2020, 02:01 PM

The important question... what kind of snacks did you have with the coffee?
Old 01-18-2020, 06:57 PM

I see your Paceline coincidence story, and raise...

Awhile back Fiamme Red posted a link to this story about a horrible crash in Southeast Florida. El Cheapo posted that he'd grown up a few miles from there, back when Florida
State Road 84 was a main highway, but which has since become a side road to I-595.

Now I also spent some time growing up in that area, back before Weston existed, when the only things between Davie and the Everglades were cow pasture and citrus groves, when Markham Park was a motocross track in the absolute middle of nowhere. We spent a lot of time on our bikes, occasionally riding on SR 84, which at the time was a typically narrow, rural Florida two-lane with a 50 MPH speed limit. I recall it was the only route between Lauderdale and Alligator Alley and Naples. Full of trucks, including tractor-trailers full of oranges, with no shoulder. Terrifying, basically. Why anyone would ride that road unless they absolutely had to seemed crazy to me.

After the unexpected death of a family member in late 1974, I moved, very abruptly, to the Northeast, leaving my teenage besties and most of my stuff behind.

El Cheapo's post stuck in my mind for reasons I couldn't understand, so after a day or two I sent him a PM:

Quote:
Hi, saw your post on the SR84 crash. Sad... I grew up in Plantation, back when it was on the edge of civilization. Attended South Plantation High School in 1973 & 1974. I rode bikes a lot, including out to Flamingo Groves on 84... which was terrifying! How about you? No obligation to respond, but perhaps we know one another.
He wrote back:

Quote:
Hi Tim! This might turn out to be like an episode of "The Twilight Zone". Only Tim D. from Plantation (Seminole Middle and SPHS) I know is...<redacted>. Just for security's sake if this is you...what was the last name of your cousins (Jill and Gerry) where you lived? Thanks.
OMG. Turns out El Cheapo was one of my best friends at the time, a time when I really needed best friends. We'd done a lot of crazy stuff together as kids. I think I last saw him in 1974, when we were sophomores in high school, and I don't think we'd had any contact since then. While we haven't yet seen one another, we've spent considerable time writing back and forth, swapping tales of the intervening 45 years. Our lives have been very different, and it was absolutely incredible to reconnect in this random way.

I'm looking forward to riding with him again some day.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
Awhile back Fiamme Red posted a link to this story about a horrible crash in Southeast Florida. El Cheapo posted that he'd grown up a few miles from there, back when Florida
State Road 84 was a main highway, but which has since become a side road to I-595.

Now I also spent some time growing up in that area, back before Weston existed, when the only things between Davie and the Everglades were cow pasture and citrus groves, when Markham Park was a motocross track in the absolute middle of nowhere. We spent a lot of time on our bikes, occasionally riding on SR 84, which at the time was a typically narrow, rural Florida two-lane with a 50 MPH speed limit. I recall it was the only route between Lauderdale and Alligator Alley and Naples. Full of trucks, including tractor-trailers full of oranges, with no shoulder. Terrifying, basically. Why anyone would ride that road unless they absolutely had to seemed crazy to me.

After the unexpected death of a family member in late 1974, I moved, very abruptly, to the Northeast, leaving my teenage besties and most of my stuff behind.

El Cheapo's post stuck in my mind for reasons I couldn't understand, so after a day or two I sent him a PM:

He wrote back:

OMG. Turns out El Cheapo was one of my best friends at the time, a time when I really needed best friends. We'd done a lot of crazy stuff together as kids. I think I last saw him in 1974, when we were sophomores in high school, and I don't think we'd had any contact since then. While we haven't yet seen one another, we've spent considerable time writing back and forth, swapping tales of the intervening 45 years. Our lives have been very different, and it was absolutely incredible to reconnect in this random way.

I'm looking forward to riding with him again some day.
Man ... what a cool story!!!
Old 01-18-2020, 07:55 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

All this makes you wonder, how many times in your life are you within, say, 50 feet of reconnecting with someone you, say, went to high school with but haven't seen in 40 years, but don't. You might have been on different floors of the same hotel in Chicago, or in the dark in the same movie theater in Dallas, or you might cross paths on the highway near Hays, Kansas, and you'll never know it.

I suppose it's like Brownian motion - who knows where you're going to end up, or who you'll meet again?

Last edited by Louis; 01-18-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:30 PM

I bought a frameset last year from a Formite. Turns out he used to own a bike shop where I went to college 35 years ago (doesn't live close to there now).

The college town and surrounding counties had lots of steep hills. Mostly short, but quite pitched. I had done rides in the area prior to school and was familiar, but wasn't ready for daily outings. My low gear was 47/21 (maybe even a 19... don't remember). I bought a 42 Super Record ring and a 12 or 13-23 freewheel from him. Started riding with the local club and visiting the shop pretty frequently. He gave me a wool cycling jacket that no longer fit him. I still have it and wear it occasionally.

Thank you Peter K.