Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 03:10 PM

As someone who’s had 4 cars and 1 bike stolen I hate thieves. It that we’re me I guarantee he never would have been able to walk, let alone run away. You work your whole life and these scum just take, they’re useless to society.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:18 PM

I'm with you Terry. But working in Correction's since 1991 probably skews my outlook on people a bit.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Nailed it. Pummel the bastard.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
As someone who’s had 4 cars and 1 bike stolen I hate thieves. It that we’re me I guarantee he never would have been able to walk, let alone run away. You work your whole life and these scum just take, they’re useless to society.
I totally get this. If someone stole one of my bikes, my gut instinct would to be pursue them at the very least. It's hard-wired into many of us. Not all of us, though. I suspect that women in general are less likely to wade into potentially life threatening situations because they are accustomed to being on "high alert." Most men (with the caveat being law enforcement, military etc.) lack that.

A tragic story:

Last week, I was getting my bike stripped down so I could sell some parts. When I came out of the bike shop, I saw police tape up the street near a local Starbucks. I didn't bother to investigate, since I was under some time constraints. But what happened was truly tragic.

A young man was working at his laptop outside Starbucks when two thieves walked by. They swiped his computer. He gave chase. All of them rounded a corner. There was a van idling there, waiting to transport the crooks. The victim hurled himself into the van. The driver of the van instinctually hit the gas. The victim was flung to the ground. He lost his life. That day was his 34th birthday.

My partner asked me after it happened "do you think, when he sat down to drink his coffee, that he knew he only had minutes to live?"

That question still haunts me.

https://scallywagandvagabond.com/202...top-thief-car/
Old 01-17-2020, 03:43 PM

That dude had everything coming to him and deserved every bit of it. But it's true that could have escalated too. You just never know who's got a gun or knife in tier pocket and is willing to use it. In fact it's probably best practice to assume everyone does. But I don't blame her one bit.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Instinctively, you and me both. But i hope I would be able to think rationally, both for near term self-preservation (for the reasons which @redir stated) and long term self-preservation. B/c if one were to take your advice and actually cause the perp to become paraplegic, one would also be liable to lose one's life savings...

prudence is the better part of valor and all that, especially when it comes to material possessions...
Old 01-17-2020, 04:05 PM

The bar for "Hero" has sure been lowered, that whole video is really just pathetic and sad.

PS lock your bike, idiots are everywhere.

Last edited by charliedid; 01-17-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
Why are we cheering? Hmm. Well, she didn't hurt the thief. She spit on him, which is degrading, but so is the feeling of being a victim. I'm not sure she would do it again, but if you have ever been in a similar situation, emotions run pretty hot.

I'm cheering because a bicycle thief didn't get away with a crime.
Which was my point. I dont hold it against her. **** happens and he did deserve it and i dont have a problem with it happening but im not gonna cheer for someone spitting on another person like that is the way to go..
Old 01-17-2020, 04:36 PM
Viva Chamucos

Sadly methinks that in some jurisdictions in California she might be charged with assault. Conversely if the thief were stopped by the police his theft might not rise to the necessary charging level - see current San Francisco and the guy given a ticket.

That is where we are at these days out here......
Old 01-17-2020, 04:48 PM

Not anything even resembling an ass kicking in that video. He got off pretty light. And she is hardly a hero. That word has been corrupted beyond belief.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:36 PM

I would have jumped on his fat ass and done my best to put him in the hospital. Dude was lucky.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:52 PM

The Look At Me Era

The internet has made me cynical of anything posted out there.

This seems fake or the guy is just a goof ball. First, he couldn't get on the bike, then he couldn't figure out the pedals, he's confronted, he grins and drops the bike, turning around, steps away from her and she pushes him over. At which point he just lays there, smiling. She kicks at him, he spins on his butt, kicks at her, gets up, she spits he smiles walking away.

This isn't a someone butt whooping somebody over a bicycle. Not that it would be a good thing either btw.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:12 PM
Viva Chamucos

Punks like that and that’s what he is a loser punk respond only to fear or a punch in the face. No amount of talk or reasoning with him in the criminal justice system will likely change his modus operandi...except along time ago in a neighborhood that I lived in they had a very successful diversion program with nearly a 100% success rate.

Two upstanding neighborhood gentleman - let’s call them “Tony and Vito” would have a nice quiet chat with the young misguided fellow about how “Mr. Frank” wasn’t happy with him and remarkably that was the end of the problem - at least in that particular part of town.