Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2020, 11:24 AM

I've ridden 26, 26 FAT, 27.5, 27.5+, 29, 29+, and 36er. They all have their benefits and finding that balance is going to be based on how you like to ride. 29er is where most people settled, and if they run a 2.1 tire, 2.6 tire, or 3.0 tire will separate the disciplines.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:28 AM

29er, now and forever. If you need "nimble", get there through geometry and handling skills.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:28 AM

I like 27.5 personally at 5’8 as it is still nimble while carrying speed a bit better IME. I like the roll over of a 29er as well, but seem to have gravitated in the 27.5 more over the past two years. I feel more stable over the rough stuff running plus tires as well.

I just picked up a xc hardtail here and I couldn’t be happier with it. Sold off my 27.5+ full suspension bike and my fat bike 26x4.5. I am open to picking up a 29+ as I had one of those a few winters ago and preferred it to the fat bikes I have had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2020, 11:45 AM
Vendor

I have a 29er and the only time the 26er gets pulled out is for vintage meetups. I'm faster and more comfortable on the 29er and I can clear all the switchbacks that I can on the 26er.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. It's going about how I expected it to. I should probably rent a 29er for a day and see how it goes. Or not worry about it and just ride the heck out of my Moots. And improve my fitness and technical skills!
Old 01-16-2020, 11:46 AM

I doubt i'll ever get a non-29er now

I have done mtb since '93, started on a fully rigid. Loved hardtails but my neck issues needed more comfort so tried full susp in 2007 and have been only FS since 2014. I've had both 26, 27.5 and 29, and all the 27.5 were "good climbing" such as devinci troy and spot rollick. tried a few others as rentals. Mostly, i take my bikes with me on road trips to see family--stopping along the way, so socal, AZ, NM, Ok, KS, MO, IN, TN, NC, MD I've really seen a variety of terrain and a good susp design and shorter chainstay 29er is my favorite thing ever. Climbs well, which i enjoy, and keeps me safe descending, which is fun. On several locations i rode back to back on 27.5 and 29er. 29er was better in everything except big hits descending, because the 27.5 was a 160 travel bike. I have 2 pieces of advice: 1) find a shop that does demos, try them. 2) consider what you like most about mtb, and even if it is quick handling, research the 29 out there that do that well (then go back to point #1 and try to demo them). I clear everything tight on my yeti 29er, better than i did on smaller wheels bikes. I also did on my previous evil the following, but had far more pedal strikes on that bike--which is where a demo can come in handy. I don't thank you will have a bad ride on a modern 27.5. I rented one in moab and had a blast, but I like the way a 29er rolls and it doesn't give up anything for me in the ones i choose--but i tend to go for DW designed suspensions and higher end fork/shock selections.
best of luck
jim
Old 01-16-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
I've ridden 26, 26 FAT, 27.5, 27.5+, 29, 29+, and 36er. They all have their benefits and finding that balance is going to be based on how you like to ride. 29er is where most people settled, and if they run a 2.1 tire, 2.6 tire, or 3.0 tire will separate the disciplines.
Pretty much ^This.

I ride 26, 26 fat, 27.5 and 29 every year and choose the bike based on where I am riding and the experience I am looking for that day.

26ers are still a blast and are not any slower than my 29er for tight Midwest singletrack. I find my rigid 26er and 26 hardtail simply more fun to ride on a lot of these trails.

That said, my favorite mountain bike over the past 5 years is my Moots Rogue YBB 27.5. 27.5 is not the best of both worlds as it does not have close to the same rollover as a 29er IMHO, but it is not the worst of both either. Just different. This is the bike I can take on just about any trail anywhere and have fun.

I like my 29ers as well but only ride rigid and hardtails. The wagon wheels rollover well and there are plenty of tight wheel base 29ers as geometry has evolved over the past 20 years. However, they are big wheels and your CG is generally more in the bike than on the bike based on axle to BB drop so I find them a little less playful overall.

In truth, while I am not big on suspension, I think suspension matters far more than wheel size and anyone running full suspension likely has a performance advantage over just about any of my bikes regardless of wheel size. I ride for fun and for the challenge so suspension for me is just not that interesting as it feels more like I am riding the bike than riding the trail.

The best wheel size for anyone is just one part of the overall experience they are looking for. However, if I raced to win, I would likely ride a FS 29er and would look for a NOS non-boost as I prefer 2.35" tires and a low Q since I generally race endurance.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:18 PM
Vendor

I had to work on my riding position when I went to the 29er, especially the FS 29er, to be able to get the most out of it. With the 26er, there was a greater fear of going over the front wheel. Lots of times my butt would be hanging back behind the saddle. Things like bigger wheels and dropper posts make it almost impossible to go over the front wheel. You can now better center your weight and push that front wheel into the ground in a turn and not have it bounce all over the place and washout.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:24 PM
Randomhead

the pro European racers stayed on 26ers until the sponsors stopped making the bikes. My understanding is that suspension continues to improve, and that's the big difference maker. 27.5 is a good size
Old 01-16-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
the pro European racers stayed on 26ers until the sponsors stopped making the bikes. My understanding is that suspension continues to improve, and that's the big difference maker. 27.5 is a good size
I suspect the reason is for that is: A) tradition (racers are often loathe to change what they're used to); and B) 26" wheels are lighter and stronger.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:00 PM

FWIW, giving your 26er away might be a challenge. Whatever you think you might be able to get for it, cut that figure in half. Can you even buy a new 26" bike?
Old 01-16-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I suspect the reason is for that is: A) tradition (racers are often loathe to change what they're used to); and B) 26" wheels are lighter and stronger.
For whatever reason, they are almost all on 29" now, save some of the shortest female riders like Emily Batty. There was a midpoint a few years back where some of the Euro guys were on 27.5, but it's almost impossible to find a top level XC bike built for 27.5 now. Whether that's performance based or marketing based is up to you. Their riding doesn't really inform my riding.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:06 PM

This is still being debated?
BE
Old 01-16-2020, 03:44 PM

No debate

Nope, probably no real debate anymore and wasn't really looking to start one or keep an old one going. Was just looking for opinions here from those with experience with riding both over time and what they thought. As mentioned above I will not get squat for my nearly mint Rigormootis simply because of the wheel size. And not sure I can part with either my Meivici, Colnago EPS, or a Moots Compact to fund a 29er that I may not like more than my 26er. So I guess I answered my own question. If I rent a 29er and fall in love then I will have to make a tough decision on what I think I could part with. But the used bike market sucks so I will likely not get what I think is a fair asking price. I'll just ride my Moots and still have a smile on my face.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:54 PM

I miss the handling of my old FS 26er. But I would never give up my 29er. 29er has better grip under all situations, plus it just rolls faster. Have a 6hr race on Sunday. At hours 5 and 6 when I'm feeling gassed I can just roll over stuff with the 29er.