Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Pinarellos are better.

I think this was a very true fact in the early 80’s.
I bought a Pinarello when I was just a high school kid after the LBS convinced me of the Pinarello’s higher build quality.
I did see Colnago’s of that era with inconsistent build practices...it was very apparent that at that time they had many frame builders under contract building for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2020, 06:47 PM

Does or did Colnago ever offered custom sizing/geometry for any of its frames, carbon or not? I always wanted a Colnago, but found the top tube to usually be too short. If not, then frames made by small US carbon frame builders are better for those who need it. Get a frame made by Parlee, Crumpton Appleman, Calfee and others, who can make what you want or need. Good Luck!
Old 01-11-2020, 06:47 PM

friend cracked his Pinarello F8 commuting in NYC (I know, I know)

another friend didn't crack his Colnago C60 hitting a guardrail at 40mph in the catskills. did crack a leg bone

not a scientific sample but i keep it in mind
Old 01-11-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
I think this was a very true fact in the early 80’s.
I bought a Pinarello when I was just a high school kid after the LBS convinced me of the Pinarello’s higher build quality.
I did see Colnago’s of that era with inconsistent build practices...it was very apparent that at that time they had many frame builders under contract building for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pinarellos are quick handling but stable at high speed. Colnagos handling is slower.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:36 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
Does or did Colnago ever offered custom sizing/geometry for any of its frames, carbon or not?
Used to offer custom on its C bikes; doesn't appear to be an option any more. That said they still make a tremendous range of sizes for a "mass" manufacturer. I'm not a good stock size guy as I have very long legs and a relatively short torso, can't really deal with more than 8cm drop and aesthetically can't deal with riser stems or 40cm of spacers yet I can find a Colnago that puts me where I want to be and that, despite design differences (steeper seat tube for instance), when you lay out the geometry I can essentially mimic my custom road bikes. Maybe some day I'll pull the trigger on one.

As to some disliking the ride, I found that the C50 I owned and other C series bikes I have tested all had a decidely neutral, stable feel. I do have to wonder if this contributes to some who don't like them. I also remember reading a long time ago a comment by Craig Gaulzetti that Colnago's design philosophy called for a setback post and long stem to get your weight over the wheels the way Ernesto wanted it so getting the right size isn't as easy as saying oh I ride a 58 Specialized I guess I'll try a 58 Colnago.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:00 PM

So what do you guys think of the 'Made-in-Taiwan' V3RS compared to 'Made-in-Italy' C64 (both disc)?
Old 01-11-2020, 10:05 PM

I have some lovely and fantastic bikes: Firefly, Richard Sachs, Hampsten, Kirk, Serotta, et al. BUT, this fall I decided to get a 2020 V3RS disc in 54S and it is one of the best riding bikes I have ever had. My particular bucket list item was to get an actual honest to God modern race bike that could be ridden in the TdF tomorrow (with maybe a couple fewer spacers, I can only handle about 6-7 cm of drop at my advanced age). So I really love this thing. If dang photobucket would get its repairs done I'll post photos. I got the white with blue accents; looks stellar and feels bulletproof. I chose it over the C-64 because I affirmatively wanted the model the pros are riding currently. Could not care less about the Asia v. Italy thing.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
And this is the thing. I occasionally fall into the trap of Colnago lust... until I remember that Mr Ernesto has likely never seen, let alone did he create, the frame I could pay AU$6500 for in a store today.

Then I realise that kind of cash is far better spent on something actually made for me by a guy (or gal) I can talk to and work with to build something truly special.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
Prove UR right.
That's my point..of this pointless 'discussion'. Anything subjective is just that.
I think Merckx's are the 'best bike'...
Quote:
This reads like a Jan Heine "article"
Badda BING!!

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-12-2020 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
Does or did Colnago ever offered custom sizing/geometry for any of its frames, carbon or not? I always wanted a Colnago, but found the top tube to usually be too short. If not, then frames made by small US carbon frame builders are better for those who need it. Get a frame made by Parlee, Crumpton Appleman, Calfee and others, who can make what you want or need. Good Luck!
Why would you order custom geometry? It would be something else w/ colnago paint only. Just get a long stem and ride it the way they want their bike to ride. Their geo numbers. Their geo is their magic. If you don´t like it sell and buy something else. Otherwise get a Sarto or other italian brand doing custom.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
That's my point..of this pointless 'discussion'. Anything subjective is just that.

Badda BING!!
My original post as well ...
Quote:
that there is such thing as a “best bike” and that it is Colnago
Wonderful bikes but ...
Old 01-12-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

Badda BING!!
Those Mercx built by Colnago?
Old 01-12-2020, 07:27 AM

I've owned a dozen Colnago bikes over the years and no other brand holds it's value better, which says a lot.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Those Mercx built by Colnago?

I think he was talking about the Merckx built by Colnago that was built by DeRosa.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I think he was talking about the Merckx built by Colnago that was built by DeRosa.
I will take the De Rosa.