Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2020, 03:49 AM
ZhugeLiang

Ernesto Colnago: A lot of people don't understand the real quality of a bike

Article:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...ity-of-a-bike/

Quote:
Colnago shows Cyclingnews a copy of a recent issue of the French Top Velo magazine. The C64 was voted best bike.

"I know Colnago is still the best bike out there, we can only hope people remember that too," he says, shaking the Top Velo magazine.

"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike, what's under the paint and in the joints, they just look at the appearance. At Colnago we're not interested in the quantity of bikes we sell, we're interested in the quality of the bikes we sell."

Colnago is not afraid to call out his business rivals.

"They're the ones who don’t play fair. They try to convince everyone that carbon fibre bikes are all the same, that there's no real difference in the quality of the carbon or how they are made," Colnago says raising his voice.

"But who invented carbon fibre bikes? Who? Colnago! Who first fitted disc brakes to a high-end carbon road bike? Colnago! Who first understood the benefits of a straight fork? Colnago! I've never copied anyone. The people who churn out carbon fibre bikes from the molds in Asia, should thank me for introducing carbon fibre bikes and helping them make a load of money."

Colnago takes two pieces of carbon fibre and indicates to watch and listen carefully. It's a stunt he often does during interviews but it always makes an impression. When the first piece of carbon hits the floor of his office, it makes a light, hollow-like ring and bounces a few times. The second piece carbon fibre has a more reassuring and deeper clang to it. Colnago's message is simple: the first is what other people use in their frames, the second is what is Colnago uses.

"We use a high quality carbon fibre, the same that Ferrari use for their F1 motor racing cars. The quality is certified, they cut the tube and look at the lugs to check the layup and the quality. People still visit us and see how C64 bikes are made. They're amazed by what they see."

A Colnago C64 frame costs around £4,000, the V3RS and the Concept aero frame a little less. Silver welded steel Colnago Master frames are also available for around £2,000. Other brands can be cheaper but Ernesto rebukes any comparison between a Colnago frame and cheaper, price-point rival.

"Colnago costs a few hundred Euro more but our frames don’t suddenly break," Ernesto argues bluntly. "I meet hundreds of people who have had a Colnago for years. Maybe I've made the mistake of making my bikes too strong.

"Unfortunately there are brands who put all kinds of stuff in their frames but people who buy the cheap frames and focus on the price don’t realise they're getting ripped off. They look at the final layer of paint, drink up the marketing talk and don’t worry about what's underneath.

"The difference is like buying a cheap jacket from a fast fashion brand and buying a made to measure Italian suit. In truth, there's no comparison because you end-up throwing away the cheap garment after a few washes. But people end up paying the same price for a poor quality frame because they don't realise the true quality and the true value of a Colnago."
Old 01-11-2020, 05:44 AM

he is SO full of crap LOL
Old 01-11-2020, 05:57 AM

What a character! He's entered old curmudgeon phase, but I guess he's earned that.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:26 AM
Proud Grandpa

A lot of the Italian(and other European) 'masters' in bike frame manufacture lament the mass produced carbon stuff from Asia..Ugo DeRosa did too, Dario did too(?)-RIP Comandante-
Probably the same for motorcycles, watches, cars for sure, pianos, guitars, coffee machines, blenders.....etc...

Kinda a "meh" for me..I doubt anybody that makes anything with their last name on the product would say.."gee, that Asian stuff is every bit as good, maybe better".....

Colnago frames, regardless, are very, very good in the modern bike frame world..
BUT
Quote:
Who first fitted disc brakes to a high-end carbon road bike? Colnago!
Really??
Old 01-11-2020, 06:29 AM

On the other hand Ive seen a lot of Asian and one Colnago cut open.Whether it matters on the road or not, the nago was easily the tidiest inside.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:05 AM

Colnago = nice frames. ... that there is such thing as a “best bike” and that it is Colnago .... good laugh.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
Colnago = nice frames. ... that there is such thing as a “best bike” and that it is Colnago .... good laugh.
I'll play

Colnago IS the best bike frame..prove me wrong...

Again, the guy's name is on the down tube..what do ya expect him to say?
Old 01-11-2020, 07:18 AM
50 bpm

I would have loved to have been able to hear Ernesto and Giovanni Pinarello alone in a room together.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:46 AM

As an owner of a 1998 Colnago Monotitan I'm calling out Ernesto. My frame cracked at the seat post after 49,780 miles. Dang...I was robbed!
Old 01-11-2020, 08:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by el cheapo View Post
As an owner of a 1998 Colnago Monotitan I'm calling out Ernesto. My frame cracked at the seat post after 49,780 miles. Dang...I was robbed!
Almost every Bi-Titan broke..Todson(?), who imported them, said they had a warehouse full of them. Colnago has never had a 'warranty' but Todson 'self-warrantied'.....and the Carbi-Tubo..double down tube carbon frame..LOTZ came unglued...
Quote:
This warranty does not cover:

-normal wear (including fatigue)
Old 01-11-2020, 09:08 AM
Barely Hanging On

Aren't all carbon Colnagos other than the C64 made in Asia anyway? Just asking a question
Old 01-11-2020, 09:27 AM

In Honor Of The Band Rush, I Give You "Salesman"

It's a straw man argument when he doesn't name another brand that is supposedly inferior crap compared to some of his bikes. Bikes that are made the exact same way and place as other top brands btw. Looks like he wants credit for being first to sell out to China and preferring mass produced molding over hand manufacture.

Why humble brag? Be brash and bold, lol:

"But who invented carbon fibre bikes? Who? Colnago! Who first fitted disc brakes to a high-end carbon road bike? Colnago! Who first understood the benefits of a straight fork? Colnago! I've never copied anyone. The people who churn out carbon fibre bikes from the molds in Asia, should thank me for introducing carbon fibre bikes and helping them make a load of money."

But as Tater said though, it's his brand, of course he's going to tout it as the best, it's his job to do so.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:45 AM

Pinarellos are better.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
It's a straw man argument when he doesn't name another brand that is supposedly inferior crap compared to some of his bikes. Bikes that are made the exact same way and place as other top brands btw. Looks like he wants credit for being first to sell out to China and preferring mass produced molding over hand manufacture.

Why humble brag? Be brash and bold, lol:

But as Tater said though, it's his brand, of course he's going to tout it as the best, it's his job to do so.
Nice topical tie-in
Old 01-11-2020, 09:49 AM

But who invented carbon fibre bikes?

Graftek, AFAIK.