Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
Should I keeps the original "Skittles" paint scheme or go with something more subdued? Leaning more towards a single color.
Let your conscience be your guide!
Old 01-05-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Let your conscience be your guide!
Well, the "Force be with me" side is saying single color. But, I don't know if I'm going to keep it for long when it's all done. More original might be a better choice if it moves on. Normally, I'd paint/build for me. Not so sure on this one.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Edit - I missed that you’d already sent the frame to Mark! Good call. I have a pic of my Heron sitting on that same table!

Recently got my Heron back from Groody Bros and I’m very pleased. I got single color, some small dent infill with a decal application and clear coat for < $300. They will do multi-color, lug lining, etc. The clear coat is done by a motor cycle shop, I believe, down the street from them. Also, BTW, I’ve had touch up paint work done on my De Rosa by Chester Cycles and that was very good but I think he’s done with complete frame repainting.

Before - very rough looking up close

After

wow, what a great restoration you had done there, and i think that price is more than reasonable. excellent, i love seeing old bikes being brought back to life. nice!
Old 01-05-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
Well, the "Force be with me" side is saying single color. But, I don't know if I'm going to keep it for long when it's all done. More original might be a better choice if it moves on. Normally, I'd paint/build for me. Not so sure on this one.
That's kinda what i thought - you were leaning toward the single color. I don't know anything about this bike or it's resaleablility, but as far as the gut feeling goes, i like the single color. But like I said, let your conscience be your guide!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2020, 07:58 AM

Just received from Mark Rainey - ready for clear coating!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before clear coat copy.jpg (103.4 KB, 265 views)
Old 01-17-2020, 08:24 AM

Very nice!
Old 01-17-2020, 08:32 AM

Pretty excited - he didn't say when he plans to ship it, would be awesome to have it back soon.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:38 AM
Strong Walker

as the rattlecan-approach never produced anything for me that i didn't want to strip down immediately, i invested in a mini-HVLP gun by Iwata - technically, it is designed for small surfaces like motorcycle tanks or helmets, so it is a good match for the surfaces on a bicycle frame, better than a "big" HVLP.
But its biggest advantage for me is that it does nowhere near the air volume of those and it is in fact factory approved to work with a rather small airbrush-type compressor.
These are some of my first experiments with it.

basecoat in Toyota pearl white

fork, main colors applied (Mazda green, Mercedes blue)

(finish clear coat still missing in all the pics, so it is less glossy that it will be)

So far, i'm very happy about the control this setup gives me even with my absolute non-experience/skill in painting with a gun. Waterbased colours mean even the color changes are not as much of a hassle (cleaning-wise) as i had feared.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:46 AM

That's awesome! Please keep us updated as you progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
as the rattlecan-approach never produced anything for me that i didn't want to strip down immediately, i invested in a mini-HVLP gun by Iwata - technically, it is designed for small surfaces like motorcycle tanks or helmets, so it is a good match for the surfaces on a bicycle frame, better than a "big" HVLP.
But its biggest advantage for me is that it does nowhere near the air volume of those and it is in fact factory approved to work with a rather small airbrush-type compressor.
These are some of my first experiments with it.

basecoat in Toyota pearl white

fork, main colors applied (Mazda green, Mercedes blue)

(finish clear coat still missing in all the pics, so it is less glossy that it will be)

So far, i'm very happy about the control this setup gives me even with my absolute non-experience/skill in painting with a gun. Waterbased colours mean even the color changes are not as much of a hassle (cleaning-wise) as i had feared.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Pretty excited - he didn't say when he plans to ship it, would be awesome to have it back soon.
Didn't take long to get mine back. Yours looks very good and makes me regret a little not going full Monty with two tone and lug lining. Make sure you post up the full build.

Finally got mine done yesterday.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Didn't take long to get mine back. Yours looks very good and makes me regret a little not going full Monty with two tone and lug lining. Make sure you post up the full build.

Beautiful. That's a proper road bike right there

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2020, 10:58 AM

That is a lovely ride you have there! Enjoy!

Quote:

Old 01-17-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Beautiful. That's a proper road bike right there
You might be pleased to know it's from Portland. I rode a credit card tour in the PNW last summer. A friend from Portland was the organizer and since all my bikes are old road racers, I came up with the cockamamie idea to save one way shipping and just buy a local bike. He picked this one off CL for me and built it up. First time a saw it was just a few minutes before setting off on a 400 mile tour through the Cascades!
Old 01-17-2020, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Heron looks great!

What tires do you have on there?
Old 01-17-2020, 01:35 PM

Sorry for the Heron Hijak

I love that Heron touring. Here's my Heron road. You can't see it in the crappy cellphone pic, but the color is Bailey Falls Blue. It's a green/blue metallic originally mixed by GM for one of their GTOs I'm told.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heron.jpg (69.7 KB, 216 views)