Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2019, 03:57 PM

Re-painting a vintage frame

In 1972 I had a Bob Jackson (Olympus model) custom made. It was my only road bike for many years, I have no idea how many miles are on this frame/fork. It's been re-painted twice, most recently in 2004, when I sent it back to Jackson. The first photo is when it came back, the others are detail shots from before I sent it off.

Even though it hasn't had many miles in the past 15 years, I do ride it (it's set up with Shimano 3x10 - a nice set of Campy Nuovo Record stuff and matching wheelset is in storage.) It has some minor surface rust (yes, it's been framesavered), mostly on the upper portion of the seat stays. I don't think Jackson prepped the frame well, because some of this showed up fairly quickly after it returned from England.

As can be seen in the photos, it's two tone (used to have chromed fork ends and stay ends), gloss black with white panels, and lugs and details picked out in red. I'm wondering what it might cost to re-do the paint properly. It seems there are a wide range of possibilities, from simply getting it powdercoated one color and calling it preserved, to finding someone to duplicate the existing scheme, which of course I would prefer, if it's durable, and if it doesn't cost the earth to do so.

I had my Nagasawa repainted with wet paint five years ago. It was a single color, and a small amount of detail work, and it was decal'd to match the original. I think I paid about $600 for that work, which was high quality and no rust has appeared (that frame needed the repaint far more than my Bob Jackson does now.)

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2229.jpg (49.3 KB, 1026 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1231.jpg (80.8 KB, 1021 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1232.jpg (86.4 KB, 1022 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1233.jpg (60.3 KB, 1018 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1235.jpg (58.2 KB, 1019 views)
Old 09-29-2019, 04:10 PM

I would forget the pinstriping and keep the pannels.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:18 PM

If you plan on keeping it and cherish it, I vote to treating it to a proper re-do.

There's several top notch painters around the country who can do it correctly.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:16 PM

I would have it repainted to match the way it is, unless it was different originally. In that case, I see two options (original or as-is scheme.) I can recommend Joe Bell, whose work is exceptional. There's a detailed price list on his website.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:20 PM

Davis Cheakas at Southwest Frameworks. He's done some great restoration work. Experienced frame builder as well.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:44 PM

Thanks for that pointer! A quick look-see shows that would likely cost on the order of $1,400. One data point for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I would have it repainted to match the way it is, unless it was different originally. In that case, I see two options (original or as-is scheme.) I can recommend Joe Bell, whose work is exceptional. There's a detailed price list on his website.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:07 PM

I would get quotes from HotTubes and VéloColour as well. Both do exceptional work, including restorations. The worth of repainting the frame is a personal thing, imo. If I owned a frame like that and had ridden it all those years (and intended to ride for many more), I would give it a proper repaint.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:13 PM

Thanks for those pointers.
This was my only road bike for over 30 years, it has a lot of miles! So this is mostly a sentimental thing - the bike gets 2-3 hundred miles annually I'm guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
I would get quotes from HotTubes and VéloColour as well. Both do exceptional work, including restorations. The worth of repainting the frame is a personal thing, imo. If I owned a frame like that and had ridden it all those years (and intended to ride for many more), I would give it a proper repaint.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:21 PM

From what I can see, IMO, that bike is a long, long way from needing a repaint.I would try some rubbing compound on the blemished areas.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:26 PM

Worth an email for a quote.

https://chestercycles.com/steel-frame-repaints.html
Old 09-29-2019, 06:32 PM

Those photos are from 2004, sorry for confusion.
What's concerning me is rust coming through the paint on the upper half of the seat stays, on the TT, a bit on the chainstays. I think that given the few miles it gets, this isn't threatening. But I'd feel better if it were better protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
From what I can see, IMO, that bike is a long, long way from needing a repaint.I would try some rubbing compound on the blemished areas.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:44 PM

"From what I can see, IMO, that bike is a long, long way from needing a repaint.I would try some rubbing compound on the blemished areas."

I was thinking the same thing. If it's had another 15 years on it, that might be different.
Franklin frames in Newark, Ohio does very good work and is priced well. Worth a call at least.
Not that it really matters if you've had and loved the frame for so long, but is that top tube bowed? Probably just the photo.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:55 PM
#RYFB

I've owned my Gios since it was new, 1978. When I finally decided to have it repainted to address a few small rust spots my research pointed me to Joe Bell. I was fortunate in that he's only a couple of hours from me so I was able to drop it off in person and have a lengthy chat with him at the outset.

While I'm sure that many of the other people suggested do excellent work, I can't recommend Joe highly enough. For me his price was fair based on the work he did. Great guy, too…just accept that, once you hand it over, you'll get it when you get it.

In case you want to see the end result: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=196689 (also, at the top of the post there is a link to Gios registry where you can see "before" pictures).

Best of luck no matter whom you choose.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Good luck getting a response.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
I'd second the HotTubes recommendation. Toby is a magician with both torch and paint gun...if your frame needs any restoration work, Toby can handle it.

He's also within driving distance, so delivering/selecting colors/shooting the chit/picking up the newly painted frame will be a lot more fun than shipping and worrying and receiving and unpacking.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy