Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2014, 07:31 PM

Cycling after prostate cancer surgery

First off I'm 61 and have been a serious runner for around 33 years. 23 marathons completed and have run close to 65,000 miles. The past few years I've pulled the weekly running mileage back from 40-50 to 25-35 and injected both road and mountain biking into my workout schedule. I wanted to take the stress off everything as I age. Basically it felt like the right thing to do in my late '50s.

I don't spend a lot of time in the saddle like most here, but I do consistently get to it, at least twice a week, 52 weeks a year.

So 6 weeks ago I had some blood drawn for my Life Insurance exam and my PSA was @ 4.98. Went to the urologist, he felt the prostate and said it felt a little hard on one side.....so he said we need to do a biopsy. I got the results back last Tuesday and 5 of the 8 samples of prostate he took were positive for cancer..

The Gleason numbers weren't super high (3 +4 or a 7), but high enough were he said you need to take care of this now. I'm waiting to have the MRI & full bone body scan to see if the cancer is confined to the capsule/prostate...so until I find that out, I won't know for sure how to proceed.

Something got lost in the mix as I thought this particular Urology group was scheduling the additional tests. Met with the surgeon today, and they hadn't. So I feel like I've wasted a week. Think I'm going over to City of Hope.

I know there are different options of treatment- radiation , implanted seeds and surgery.

Basically wondering- if I do have it taken out, how long is the time before you can get back on the bike ?

My friend is a recreational cyclist in STL, Mo. Doesn't really ride once the weather turns cold there. He had a "salvage removal" back in '06 and said I'd probably not be able to ride again for the rest of the year....

The frustration is compounded by the fact that my Potts 29er is almost finished after getting fit the end of last Oct. I still don't have it, but Steve says anytime now. Was getting a little impatient with the wait and thinking--man I should have went Ericksen or Kish... I would have had it probably back in March or April. But now, obviously, it's been placed way down on the list of immediate concerns. I'll get when I get it...whatever.

I don't need to be cranking up the 2000' elevation gain, in 3 miles, of my fireroad in the Verdugos right away. I'd be happy just tooling around my fairly hilly hood after the surgery. Just wondering if ANY biking is verboten after the surgery, for a long period of time.

Thanks.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 08-11-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:28 AM

I had prostate surgery in 2006 and was riding in 5 weeks.My surgery was done remotely with five separate incisions in my belly button area ,each about 3/4 of an inch long.Total prostate removal.Good luck.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:09 PM

Also 5 weeks

I had the same experience as Grandpa in 2010, also robotic: Surgery 28JUL and riding by Labor Day. Some mild soreness down there, but not a show stopper at all. In my case, it could not be felt by DRE, but clearly visible on biopsy. For me, no discussion: get it out.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:49 PM

We have PC in my family so I'm a little familiar with it.

Before committing to any treatment I'd recommend the following:
  1. Find a local PC support group and attend a few meetings, or at least an online forum like http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=35
  2. Get a 2nd opinion on your biopsy cores from someone like Dr Epstein at Johns Hopkins
  3. Investigate some of the newer focal therapies that preserve the prostate and just remove the tumor, like a lumpectomy
Old 08-12-2014, 02:08 PM

Mine was removed maybe 7, 8 years ago, maybe 9 now that I think of it, I've forgotten exactly how many. Something like that. Removed remotely with just 5 small holes I think it was. The cancer was up against the sack but hadn't broken out yet so that was the end of that once it was removed. I was back on my bike in a matter of weeks. Couldn't the first week because of the stupid tube in my dick and the sack strapped to my leg. After than I think I made my first foray on the bike maybe a week or two later. Whatever the time table, it wasn't any big deal, the riding the bike aspect. Other aspects are slightly more annoying, the frequency with which I have to piss, the lack of raging erections. But life goes on and so does the cycling. And just so you know in advance the arrival of partial, and sometimes not even that, erections does not mean the end of orgasms. In fact oddly enough they can be more powerful than ever before. Strange but true. I mention that aspect because it's something no one ever mentioned. Basically a subject that gets skipped over. Male machismo and all that I suppose. And the cycling is just as good as ever. In short, relax, if you're going to have cancer, this is a good one to get. As long as it's still inside the sack. Once it escapes, that's another story entirely, often a very painful story with a not so happy ending, depending on your perspective of course. Cheers
Old 08-12-2014, 05:29 PM

If you decide to have it out, and your Gleason Score suggests that you should, go the robot route and, as was pointed out, you can still put lead in the pencil.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:08 AM

prostrate surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by velotel View Post
Mine was removed maybe 7, 8 years ago, maybe 9 now that I think of it, I've forgotten exactly how many. Something like that. Removed remotely with just 5 small holes I think it was. The cancer was up against the sack but hadn't broken out yet so that was the end of that once it was removed. I was back on my bike in a matter of weeks. Couldn't the first week because of the stupid tube in my dick and the sack strapped to my leg. After than I think I made my first foray on the bike maybe a week or two later. Whatever the time table, it wasn't any big deal, the riding the bike aspect. Other aspects are slightly more annoying, the frequency with which I have to piss, the lack of raging erections. But life goes on and so does the cycling. And just so you know in advance the arrival of partial, and sometimes not even that, erections does not mean the end of orgasms. In fact oddly enough they can be more powerful than ever before. Strange but true. I mention that aspect because it's something no one ever mentioned. Basically a subject that gets skipped over. Male machismo and all that I suppose. And the cycling is just as good as ever. In short, relax, if you're going to have cancer, this is a good one to get. As long as it's still inside the sack. Once it escapes, that's another story entirely, often a very painful story with a not so happy ending, depending on your perspective of course. Cheers
My own experience was much as velotel describes. I would suggrest looking into a Rido Lt saddle. They remove all pressure on the prostrate.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:42 AM

Good Luck

Your gleason score is not condusive to surveillance so definitive therapy is in order. Whether you have a radical prostatectomy or radiation is up to you and your spouse. Both have their advantages. If you go the surgery route I would have a robotic procedure unless the MRI excudes it. Having the sugery performed by someone who has performed more than 25 cases under their belt is important. There is a definite learning curve to this procedure. If your bone scan is negative and the MRI shows no extracapsular extension I see no advantages to City of Hope unless it is close. Good luck.

Only your Urologist knows how long before you can get back on the bicycle?
Old 01-17-2020, 05:21 PM

Resurrecting (pardon the pun) this post, as I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, similar to Don Ferris with a Gleason (3+4) in three of 12 samples.

I've only discussed my options with the urologist and have a choice between radiation and the robotic prostatectomy. I've set up an appointment to meet with the radiologist in the first week of Feb. I've also read about going to a vegan diet and seeing if the cancer reverses or stops.

There's a lot of information and the first two have side effects. I would appreciate (PM me if you regard your privacy) any experience with this or followup to previous posts. Lifestyle issues, etc? Would you have chosen another method in hindsight? Should I wait to see if the vegan diet really is effective - if not, I could do the surgery or radiation later?

Any insights would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
Resurrecting (pardon the pun) this post, as I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, similar to Don Ferris with a Gleason (3+4) in three of 12 samples.

I've only discussed my options with the urologist and have a choice between radiation and the robotic prostatectomy. I've set up an appointment to meet with the radiologist in the first week of Feb. I've also read about going to a vegan diet and seeing if the cancer reverses or stops.

There's a lot of information and the first two have side effects. I would appreciate (PM me if you regard your privacy) any experience with this or followup to previous posts. Lifestyle issues, etc? Would you have chosen another method in hindsight? Should I wait to see if the vegan diet really is effective - if not, I could do the surgery or radiation later?

Any insights would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I just read that recent studies show NO benefit fighting prostate cancer with a vegetarian/vegan diet which contradicted earlier preliminary studies so i wouldn't waste time on that idea before starting proven surgical or radiation treatments that lead to many cures. Getting a few opinions from physicians specializing in various techniques and making a decision ASAP would be my plan.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:31 PM

It's almost impossible to offer any recommendations without knowing your age and family history with regards to cancer. That's exactly why your Urologist will want to know the answers to both questions. And your Urologist is the best person to guide you.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:42 PM

I'm turning 59 next month and in pretty good shape. My sister died from lung cancer two years ago (at 56 and she was a smoker) and my father passed last year from liver cancer (at age 81 but didn't stop drinking despite having sclerosis).

Overall, family history is split 50/50 -- mother's family is bad; father's family is good.

I have some distant family that have been through this and will ask about their experiences. And I am thinking about attending a local support group.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:05 PM

Good luck man! Finding a local support group is a fantastic idea, as is anything to keep you thinking positive and motivated. Sounds like a few paceliners have gone through it as well so you're in good company!
Old 01-17-2020, 07:46 PM

Just a couple pieces of anecdotal info:

I've got a friend who recently opted for a prostetectomy given that same choice. He was OK with the choice and in hindsight, he feels that it was a one and done situation with only minimal side effects. ED dysfunction managed by the little blue pill, he says.

Other friend went with the radiation and while it took longer and was a PITA, he's been clean for well over a year with no side effects.

I wish I knew what to tell you, but here's hoping for a good outcome, whatever your decision.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:12 PM

have you heard of HIFU?

https://www.webmd.com/prostate-cance...r-hifu-surgery

i am not an expert but do have a friend who was diagnosed with prostate cancer. he sought out many opinions and did a ton of research. he also has enough money to live comfortably.

i am not sure of the specifics of his diagnosis but was offered radiation and or some sort of surgery.

after lots of input he decided on HIFU. insurance does not cover it so he spent $25K of his own money rather than doing something else that would have been paid for by Medicare. he bet $25K he was making the right choice and would have done almost anything to avoid the risk of a pee bag hanging off his leg.

followup not done yet so time will tell.

Last edited by eddief; 01-17-2020 at 08:20 PM.