Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
While on the Colnago topic, what is the consensus on this black/orange C60 (asking for a friend):
One of the nicest bikes i have seen in a while. The color patches on the seat tube is very well done.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:50 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
So..there is no difference but assumptions and assumed emotions. Then why do you talk about high end bicycles here? If it´s all subjective there is no common ground for comparison then it´s useless to say anything.
Yup.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:34 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
While on the Colnago topic, what is the consensus on this black/orange C60 (asking for a friend):

I’d through a leg over that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2020, 09:45 PM

Colnago did not associate his frames with any kind of “planing” ability/property - extra respect
Old 01-15-2020, 05:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I bolded MX Leader because out of ALL the bikes I've piloted, the Belgian Buick, is the one that left the most lasting impression. I have no idea why.
HA..never heard that one but I agree..My 'buick' is my favorite as well, has been for quite a while..one of the 4 frames I will NEVER sell. No idea why either but first pedal stroke and yup..my favorite.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Rim brakes and shimano?? Is it even legal to ride??

Kidding!! Sweet looking frame(but I can hear it crying from here....)
Old 01-15-2020, 03:23 PM
Biohazard

The "magic sauce" for me was, and still is, the bike itself regardless of make and model. First ten speed ride was euphoric and no less euphoric now when I get on a "new" bike.
The first "real" race bike I got was a 10 year old Colnago Super; it was just a bike to me with odd named parts. A couple decades later when at a bike shop for maintenance someone said how "valuable" it was; yes, extremely valuable to me because it was my most reliable form of transportation. I then found out what I had and what the odd named parts were all about. That did change my perception in that I didn't necessarily think I had the best bike made, albeit others thought so; but that I was proud to be able not just to ride, but also own a piece of cycling history. At that point I went from being a rider/maintainer to a rider/preservationist. Riding that same bike for nearly 35 years and I get the same feeling as I originally did on first ride, wish my body felt the same way!
After riding different Colnago models (Super, Super Piu, Nuovo Mexico, Asso) I have enjoyed them all, most not even my optimal fit; but I have ridden enough bikes by other builders and have been no less satisfied with bikes of comparable design, use, and components. And still a thrill each time I get on a different "magic" ride, be it Colnago, Gios, Raleigh, etc. Probably why I have a bunch of frames and parts; rebuild and a new thrill.
As far as some of the "history" as to who invented/developed/produced/popularized certain design/materials breakthroughs; I thought the Colnago "Volo" was the first CF monocoque frame in production (I know they made an earlier CF frame, but not for open purchase), or was it just a prototype. I still have an "NOS" Colnago Carbitubo frame and Colnago "Saronni" "Criterium" Aero frame to build up. Can't wait to try them out.

Many great comments and thoughts here; Thanks

Last edited by HPL; 01-31-2020 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:54 PM
Deconditioned!

Ugh. This thread is engorging my bloodlust for a C bike!
Old 01-15-2020, 06:52 PM
Pack fill

Quote:
Not my personal favorite, or even close. But to each their own.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:15 PM

wow, would love to see a pic of that frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPL View Post
...and Colnago "Saronni" "Criterium" Aero frame to build up.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:29 AM
Biohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
wow, would love to see a pic of that frame.
Here it is! Sorry, the photos are from the seller's ad. I just brought it to my summer home so it is still wrapped in "bubbles". Better pics will be taken this weekend as I get ready to build. Hard to see the oval design of the TT and DT; not the same as the "Oval CX" which utilizes oval lugs at conjunctions, vice this frame which has regular/round lugs. Saronni dropouts on the rear fork (don't know who actually produced them), Saronni fork, and stay caps. This fame has been repainted (not "Saronni Red") with repro decals; I don't think the Columbus "SLX" decal is correct (I have only seen 2 other example via owner's photos; no Columbus decals; could be missing). BB shell is slotted like the early Colnago "cyclo-cross" frame. I will check for the reinforcement ridges once I start building. Fork needs work at the race seat due to some rust. I have no idea as to the rarity of this frame; I have not seen it in a catalog.

Photo credits: Velosaloon (red), belky87 on "LFGSS" site (blue bike), on1879 on "IMGUR" site (red bike).

Last edited by HPL; 01-16-2020 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
I would have loved to have been able to hear Ernesto and Giovanni Pinarello alone in a room together.
Better yet those two and Ugo DeRosa but in a public discussion.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
I would have loved to have been able to hear Ernesto and Giovanni Pinarello alone in a room together.
Ernesto was insanely jealous of Pinarello. If you want to raise Ernesto's ire, you only have to say that you really like Pinarello bikes...
Old 01-19-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I'm just so happy to be into bikes. We are fortunate that we can feasibly own bikes from noteworthy companies/builders. Others folks, whether they are "into" musical instruments, autos, or other things, could never even have a shot at owning what they lust after. Not many could afford a Stradi. However, one could pick up an older Colnago for not much dosh. Lucky us!
Yes indeed - this is something I have marveled at over the years, starting in the late 70s when I worked all summer as a 16yo to buy my first true racing bike (a classic Gios). That bike and it’s Campy components had been raced in Europe for much of that decade ... and there I was atop the “same” bike as a Junior UCSF racer.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgp View Post
Yes indeed - this is something I have marveled at over the years, starting in the late 70s when I worked all summer as a 16yo to buy my first true racing bike (a classic Gios). That bike and it’s Campy components had been raced in Europe for much of that decade ... and there I was atop the “same” bike as a Junior UCSF racer.
Sure but a speedo is much cheaper if you are into swiming.