Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2020, 07:58 AM

I love what BMC is doing w/ their road and cross bikes. It does not claim to belong to gravel or this or that but just doin the right thing. So many bikes doing the same thing costing 2 times much and not being half as good. HIs road bike geometry is right on for all around non competitive riding. It can do 99% of the riding i do. The monster x does the other 1% plus 99% of the road. Too bad he entertains shutting the rim brake model. I hope he doesn´t: it´s the perfect frame to hang the good stuff you have in the basement. Lighter. Simpler.
The longer chainstays mean you don´t need to spend hundreds of dollars on "vertically compliant" anything. Clearance for 700x32 tires. Beautifull fork crown. Designed by a good guy in California who knows what´s going on it´s been a looong time.
No fuss. No drama. No attitude.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:02 AM

Besides selling a great product he does have a way with words and pictures. One of those few people that I get excited about when he posts on Instagram.

I can't believe I have had my Monstercross 7 years. It was the first new bike I purchased in 25 years, the price was that good.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:08 AM

I discovered Paceline from searching for Black Mountain Cycles in 2015 as I was looking for different builds and opinions. Ended up with both a road and a monstercross which I still have. Mr. Varley was great to communicate with.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:48 AM

Need to get off my butt and finish my Black Mountain Road+ build...

Old 01-17-2020, 05:30 PM
Tired Member

Mike Varley is great to work with. He's helped me a fair bit with my road.

He could continue the road frame by making it a road disc. I'm not sure what he would do for a fork, but he's a pretty competent designer and would figure something out.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:12 PM

Those purples ones are so nice!
Old 01-18-2020, 12:11 AM

I know! Now I LOVE my BMC, which is Molteni Orange...and on one hand I wanted one of the MX Leader Merckx back in the 90s, so there's some nostalgia there for sure, but on the other hand, I keep getting color envy every time Mike releases a new color scheme for the MC frames and others. Case in point Smitty2k1's lovely purple build above; or Golden Lime;bright pink; olive oil; British racing green etc to name a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Those purples ones are so nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
Mike V. is rad and I wish him much success in the new year. I understand the gamble on new road frames but the Molteni color has often been the only thing holding me back from getting one! Maybe I’ll buy one and have it blasted and powder coated.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:16 PM

His was the first "gravel" bike that checked all the boxes for me - steel, canti's, and room for fatter rubber - got one of his first runs in orange and love it, the only thing I'd do now is get one of the disc models....