Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Well angry, you spoke too soon.... we’ll not exactly, you probably don’t live in a bad neighborhood. But I know that was a lot of folks complaints with the taxi industry.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...e-14975520.php

Oh also up front pricing is going away soon too

The convenience in your circumstance comes from an abundance of supply in the “ride share” Market. They are only achieving this with an unsustainable labor force....I’m not saying that’s right, but Uber/Lyft only achieves his by skirting laws and pushing employment costs on drivers—and completely ignoring the taxi cab medallion regulations.
Not to mention the heavy subsidy in the form of venture capital funding
Old 01-17-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Well angry, you spoke too soon.... we’ll not exactly, you probably don’t live in a bad neighborhood. But I know that was a lot of folks complaints with the taxi industry.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...e-14975520.php

Oh also up front pricing is going away soon too

The convenience in your circumstance comes from an abundance of supply in the “ride share” Market. They are only achieving this with an unsustainable labor force....I’m not saying that’s right, but Uber/Lyft only achieves his by skirting laws and pushing employment costs on drivers—and completely ignoring the taxi cab medallion regulations.
What a mess.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:49 AM

If I was an Uber/Lyft driver (which I will never be) I would only take passengers to an area where I can pick up another ride and not get to far from my home area. I would also not take short trips if it costs me money - don't now the structure. I would also try to go to areas where the tips are bigger because the driver gets that money.

I took Uber to the doctor this morning and the driver was so cautious I wanted to jump out of the car.

Jeff
Old 01-17-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
The real thing that's missing is that you can't hail a taxi through one single app that gives you a price before you get in the car.
Agreed. We had an existing industry that was potentially lucrative (taxis), but with huge barriers in terms of licensing and regulation. Largely through lobbying and subterfuge, Uber and Lyft were able to leapfrog over these barriers. The apps made it easy and convenient to use them, and now they're so popular it's going to be hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Airbnb is the same situation. I like Airbnb and have stayed in some nice places, but it doesn't make sense to regulate the hospitality industry and then just suddenly allow everyone to turn their home into a hotel. YOu can try to make the case that this is just the 'free market' at work, if it weren't for the aggressive lobbying that all these companies had to do to establish their businesses.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:19 PM

It is a problem in my industry (entertainment), where much of the freelance pool has had loan outs, or various other biz structures that are now no longer allowed. It causes a bit of a headache from an HR perspective, and costs the companies more, while making zero difference for the employees, since we would only use ICs with legit structures, insurance and the like. Hoping it gets reversed at some point this year.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziekiel View Post
It is a problem in my industry (entertainment), where much of the freelance pool has had loan outs, or various other biz structures that are now no longer allowed. It causes a bit of a headache from an HR perspective, and costs the companies more, while making zero difference for the employees, since we would only use ICs with legit structures, insurance and the like. Hoping it gets reversed at some point this year.
Just out of curiosity. As someone who is “caught in the crossfire” so to speak. Would you rather the law be repealed? Or what is your stance on the Uber/Lyft situation because it’s clear that is what AB-5 is pointed at