Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Back in the GP3000 and GP4000 days, they also made the tires in solid colors on both tread and sidewall.
Unsure if they contained the same technology-driven high-grip compound or not.
I think when they introduced "Black Chili" compound, they abandoned colored tires. Seems like most other tire mfg's have also gotten away from colored tires, i think i read something somewhere about how black is really necessary to make the best combination of properties for a tire.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:51 PM

Dumb question: do today's tan walled tires maintain consistent color over their lifespans? I rejoiced when black walled, high performance tires became available. They stayed looking good despite riding on wet, dirty roads. In contrast, the sides of my tan walled tires always tended to become dull and gray after a few rainy rides.

Greg
Old 07-13-2020, 01:55 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I am going to lock what should have been a simple discussion about a new tire.

The pot stirring needs to stop.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:19 PM
Administrator

We will reopen this thread and try again, please keep it on-topic. Also, keep in mind the very few rules that this forum is run on...

Treat others respectfully,

Steer clear of partisan politics and political topics,

Classifieds are for individual member's and supporting vendors only. Don't try to sell here if you are a business and not supporting the forum,

Treat others respectfully.

W.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:22 PM

Excellent - so to the point then:

GP5000 comes in tubeless and [like these subject] tires, clinchers only.

various testers have tried to calculate the difference - can anyone here speak about the actual difference between the tubeless GP5000 and clincher version?

i'm guessing the clincher only is more supple, where as the tubeless is stiffer to support tubeless running?
Old 07-13-2020, 04:23 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
"...I think when they introduced 'Black Chili' compound, they abandoned colored tires. Seems like most other tire mfg's have also gotten away from colored tires, I think I read something somewhere about how black is really necessary to make the best combination of properties for a tire..."
Yes, that is the name of the proprietary Continental technology! I couldn't recall it!
Your observations are certainly what seems to be happening in the tire marketplace.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I think when they introduced "Black Chili" compound, they abandoned colored tires. Seems like most other tire mfg's have also gotten away from colored tires, i think i read something somewhere about how black is really necessary to make the best combination of properties for a tire.
Perhaps you read Jan Heine?

In the back of my mind, I may vaguely remember one of Josh Poertner's Marginal Gains podcasts covering this issue, but there are quite a few ask me anything episodes, and I have no idea which one it would be (and I'm not even sure he discussed it).
Old 07-13-2020, 04:49 PM

Anyone else experience that the GP5k's sidewalls are susceptible to tears much easier than the 4ks?
Old 07-13-2020, 04:51 PM

they looked painted on = meh
Old 07-13-2020, 05:11 PM
aka RAEKWON

hope not to get this thread locked again but the best road tire is a Vittoria Corsa Control 28mm in tan color.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
Perhaps you read Jan Heine?
yes, i think that is what i was recalling. makes sense to me.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:24 PM

Looks like his childish attempt to get the thread locked backfired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Dumb question: do today's tan walled tires maintain consistent color over their lifespans? I rejoiced when black walled, high performance tires became available. They stayed looking good despite riding on wet, dirty roads. In contrast, the sides of my tan walled tires always tended to become dull and gray after a few rainy rides.

Greg
I haven’t found any to remain clean. Would like to know otherwise. Some people say to paint some shellac on, but I haven’t gone that far.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:25 PM

i may be in the minority, but personally, i think a nice bike with filthy tan sidewalls looks great. that well-loved look i guess.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:36 PM
The B!

Quote:
i may be in the minority, but personally, i think a nice bike with filthy tan sidewalls looks great. that well-loved look i guess.
totes.. i was actually pretty stoked when i opened the thread. there are PLENTY of steel frames out there on the road that cant take >25mm tires that these would look great on. i was actually on the verge of nabbing some gp5000s for the most recent bike project, but didnt want all black sidewalls.. didnt end up going tan for sake of some gray vittoria corsas i found for a steal, but if the tan gp5000 had been an option on the pulldown tab thats the way i woulda gone
Old 07-13-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Anyone else experience that the GP5k's sidewalls are susceptible to tears much easier than the 4ks?
I've thankfully had great luck with my GP5ks. No different than the 4ks I rode for years. Couple days ago I was coming up to a wooden bridge and ended up with my rear wheel in a gap between boards that was pretty rough. It was enough of a hit that I stopped to check that I didn't screw up my wheel before riding on. The tire didn't flinch (shockingly).