Old 07-13-2020, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Hey, whatever makes you feel good!!

W.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Heyyyyyyyyy, I'm that guy....

I'm envious of all the bikes in the house. When we moved, I asked my SO about displaying bikes in the "great room." The response: "You're funny." I took that as a no.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
I'm envious of all the bikes in the house. When we moved, I asked my SO about displaying bikes in the "great room." The response: "You're funny." I took that as a no.

All I can say is divorce can be sooooooooo freeing. LOL!
Old 07-13-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
All I can say is divorce can be sooooooooo freeing. LOL!
It's until death do us part, even if she has to kill me. I generally don't get grief for keeping one bike near the front door and I think I can get away with a bike in my office, though I'm currently storing two framesets in my home office. I do have "my" one car garage for bike stuff, but I think the house would be way more fun if there were bikes displayed inside.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:38 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
…I think the house would be way more fun if there were bikes displayed inside.
My suggestion: rig up a bike on a trainer to a device that will output AC, and put it in the kitchen. That way, when preparing meals, any time you & your spouse need to run the blender, Cuisinart, or other powered device someone has to jump on the bike and supply the juice.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:46 PM

If the bike has some historical significance then yes, wall art seems appropriate. Much like paintings from dead artists.

New bikes, expensive bikes; no. Showing off that sort of thing is SO tasteless!

What I think would look cool, and serve a dual purpose, would be to mount a very large picture frame to the wall, one large enough to encompass a bicycle.

Paint the wall inside the picture frame a contrasting color to the wall. Or maybe back the wall with felt or matting to give it a 3-D effect.

When I come in from a ride, I'd be able to hang the bike within the picture frame and it would LOOK like it was intended to be some sort of art on display, until I took it down again for a ride. Bonus points if I could put one of those lights just above the frame to illuminate the bike, just so.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
if there were bikes displayed inside.
You mean to say you have bikes stored in the garage?
Old 07-13-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
What's your view? (I think we're safely removed from virus and political digressions here, but…Internet, who knows?)
Well first & foremost a person pays for something & it is 100% their choice of what to do with it.

It is not any different than a rich MAMIL buying TDF replica bikes & never riding more than 20 miles a month...his money his choice.

Also in this case the builder was considered an artist & is now gone so there is that tribute angle too.

But all that aside I can understand the sentiment that it is to some degree not being utilized fully.

An even worse analogy? I use to build electric guitars & Tube amps
I felt really bad that old greats like 1956 Fender Strats or a 60's Gibson Les Paul's sat in some collectors case that did not even play
but instead used it as an investment so it was never played.
In those cases I felt that guitar had a voice so beautiful but none would ever hear it. Like locking up a beautiful singer in a high tower or something
Old 07-13-2020, 06:25 PM
Pack fill

You own them so you get to decide if they are tools, art, or artsy tools. Do whatever makes you happy. For the vast majority of us this is a hobby. Enjoy your hobby however you see fit. I had a EM 7-Eleven hanging in my office at work till I retired. It was a get conversation piece with visitors. Enjoy!!!
Old 07-13-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
You mean to say you have bikes stored in the garage?

Old 07-13-2020, 06:45 PM

My (divorced) buddy had his pre-Trek Klein mountain bike repainted with the gator fade paint, bought a modern Sram groupset, carbon 26er wheels, carbon bars, suspension fork (painted to match), rode it once and now its mounted on his living room wall. I told him i thought he was insane spending that amount on it when he told me his plans but i think it reminds him off a cool time in his life.

Andy Pruitt at the Boulder Sports Medicine Clinic had a Domino Vicanze Specialized E5 (Chippo's?) on his wall in the waiting room 20 years ago when i was a patient. I alwats wondered if i could unbolt it and sneak it out.

Last edited by Idris Icabod; 07-13-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:19 PM

I’ve got a Tommasini that has been hanging on my living room wall for about 4 years. My dad was the original owner and gifted it to me. I used to ride it on nice weekend rides but since his passing, it has remained on display. I have kept it in riding condition and it will eventually see the road again, but it’s not time yet. It’s nearly been subtracted from the bicycle count. Not sold, mentally reclassified.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I’ve got a Tommasini that has been hanging on my living room wall for about 4 years. My dad was the original owner and gifted it to me. I used to ride it on nice weekend rides but since his passing, it has remained on display. I have kept it in riding condition and it will eventually see the road again, but it’s not time yet. It’s nearly been subtracted from the bicycle count. Not sold, mentally reclassified.
It's hard to imagine a bike more meaningful than that. It's also quite the bonus that you got to grow up with a dad who had really good taste in bikes.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:57 PM

@Jamesdak hey I wondering what happened to you. I hope your knees are healing up ok. I always enjoy your input on the forum and and I never get tired of seeing your bike room. My favorite is still the Ribble followed by the Lemond Ventoux. Have fun, but take it easy as well.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:05 PM

London cycling, cafe, devoted to Rapha... what did you expect of such mix: humble, blue collar, bike as a tool for transportation?