Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Time to revisit the need for an off-topic, un moderated, free for all section Again

I wish...
Old 07-12-2020, 08:04 PM

Yeah. It's a total drag opening threads and seeing the same dozen+ personalities relentlessly steering conversations towards a wall.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:06 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Again, for a variety of reasons, an unmoderated OT section is not likely to happen here.

If you think some of what goes on is tiring, you should see the flood of emails/complaints we have been getting over the last few weeks about what appear to be fairly innocuous things.

Some complaints are absolutely valid and we deal with them as quickly as we can.

Again, we are not here 24/7 and so some threads go longer than they should. And sometimes we allow civil conversations to keep going, even when our spider sense tells us it won’t last.

<edit> To MT’s comment, we are trying to identify those folks that constantly derail threads and are sending PM’s or issuing timeouts as necessary.

We try our best.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Last edited by Bruce K; 07-12-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:11 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
ok thanks

i wont get fooled again

Good.

Riding can be such an amazing journey, not just for people of my generation — there’s no substitute. I can’t explain.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Good.

Riding can be such an amazing journey, not just for people of my generation — there’s no substitute. I can’t explain.
I can see what you did there...well done sir!!

W.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:44 PM

Bravo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2Nl3.jpg (14.1 KB, 195 views)
Old 07-12-2020, 09:46 PM

Well that didn't work. No smashing gif.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:52 PM

I think a lot of peeps are under stress--jobs/economy uncertain, school return uncertain. safety/health uncertain. Unsurprisingly, some of it manifests itself here in snark.

We had our first social outing since March--appropriate precautions, outside--and it was a topic of discussion--no one knows what comes next. We have friends who teach, who feel like they are being pressured to return to teaching in the Fall in schools and situations that will endanger their (and the children's) health.

Lots of industries are imploding--my wife works on branding/licencing for retail products--she has not had a substantial client for quite some time--and will not--so it looks like the end of a a thirty year career.

Our local malls can open--but between bankruptcies of major tenants along with some sharpened pencils in the few firms left standing, those malls will be ghost towns.... hundreds of jobs lost there that won't be coming back.

Throw in the restaurants--and it starts to look like there are going to be a lucky few with government jobs or jobs in protected industries, and a whole lot of people without jobs, even if we figure out how to deal with the ongoing Covid worries.

We all need to take a deep breath, focus on what we can control, ride our bikes so we don't go crazy--and be kind.

Last edited by paredown; 07-13-2020 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:03 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Good.

I love how when I'm on the bike and going mobile I can see for miles, it's a bargain, maybe even the best I ever had. It's a sure way to cure the summertime blues, especially if I go with my wife.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:22 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

But when you ride, do you become part of the machine?

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
I think a lot of peeps are under stress--jobs/economy uncertain, school return uncertain. safety/health uncertain. Unsurprisingly, some of it manifests itself here in snark.

We had our first social outing since March--appropriate precautions, outside--and it was a topic of discussion--no one knows what comes next. We have friends who teach, who feel like they are being pressured to return to teaching in the Fall in schools and situations that will endanger their (and the children's) health.

Lots of industries are imploding--my wife works on branding/licencing for retail products--she has not had a substantial client for quite some time--and will not--so it looks like the end of a a thirty year career.

Our local malls can open--but between bankruptcies of major tenants along with some sharpened pencils in the few firms left standing, those malls will be ghost towns.... hundreds of jobs lost there that won't be coming back.

Throw in the restaurants--and it starts to look like there are going to be a lucky few with government jobs or jobs in protected industries, and a whole lot of people without jobs, even if we figure out how to deal with the ongoing Covid worries.

We all need to take a deep breath, focus on what we can control, ride our bikes so we don't go crazy--and be kind.

Well said...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
But when you ride, do you become part of the machine?

BK
Ha! Nice.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

It's like winter
-steel bikes and comfort
-rotating wheel weight
-squishy tires

threads started all yesterday..BUT these are unprecedented times for a LOT of reasons. MUCH more contentious than either around 1968(VietNam), or in the aftermath of various assassinations..JFK, RFK, Dr King....perfect storm type thing......BUT

Things will be OK in the end..if they aren't OK, it's not the 'end'...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 07-13-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:26 AM

For most of us it will be all over when there is a vaccine. So there is something to look forward too. It's only a matter of time. In the mean time just be smart about it.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
It's like winter
-steel bikes and comfort
-rotating wheel weight
-squishy tires

threads started all yesterday..BUT these are unprecedented times for a LOT of reasons. MUCH more contentious than either around 1968(VietNam), or in the aftermath of various assassinations..JFK, RFK, Dr King....perfect storm type thing......BUT

Things will be OK in the end..if they aren't OK, it's not the 'end'...
Short term traumatic events we can get over and back to normal. Vietnam, while highly controversial, for most of us, did not disrupt our daily lives.

What's going on now is more like a world war that goes on for months or years. The P***** impacts everyone's lives and everyone is at risk. The world has changed forever and our lives and will forever mark our lives.