Quote:
Originally Posted by black dog View Post
how heavy is the insect repellant?
:d :d
Old 07-13-2020, 11:44 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I had to modify my riding technique when the weight was higher up...
I have similar experience and to me...that matters especially if I am doing a lot of climbing that day, having to modify or deviate from my usual climbing style or adopt a less optimal climbing technique...later on in the day after the ride I experienced soreness in places that didn't used to hurt when I ride my bike.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:47 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Lets save you the trip (you are in Texas after all ) and just get a zoom call going and flip a coin.
I will mask up...maybe even bring a hug curtain so I can give you a proper bro hug....well alright, no need for zoom, I will call it right here right now...Head!

Please let me know if I win anything.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:47 PM

I like the way my lightweight carbon wheels look more than the heavier aluminum ones.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
On a dyno I lost 3 horse power by switching from a 160 to a 180 rear tire?
How many HP did you start with?
Old 07-13-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
the GCN vid didn't differentiate where the weight was located on the wheel, whether the weight was located at the rim or the hub. This is an old argument, try riding a wheelset with "gatorskin" tires and puncture resistance tubes and then ride the same wheelset with Vittoria Diamante Pro Light tires (180g or less) and latex tubes. Which would you prefer? Yes, aero matters and you'll probably be only 15% slower but why carry any extra weight if you don't have to? It doesn't take into account on the rider providing the torque, how much energy is expended to spin the wheels overall. It only looks at the final result in terms of time and speed. Flawed, incomplete.............
The extra speed when going from Gatorskins to a nice supple tire with latex tubes comes not from the weight loss, but from the significant reduction in rolling resistance (Gatorskins have terrible RR).
Old 07-13-2020, 02:18 PM

Good thing y'all are all 5% body fat and can keep your FTPs at 400+ watts all season since we're worrying about minutia.

Has anyone here ever actually rode A:B on the same bike with light wheels with ballast + heavy wheels so that the A:B both had the same total mass?

I can feel lighter wheels... to a point I agree they feel better.. but I sure have never ballasted a bike to do this test and it's so far down the list of things I am concerned about with performance it'll probably never happen.

But if you were to do it... it's be easy to do with an empty water bottle with the heavy wheels and then add water to the bottle equal to the weight difference in the wheels. Shows you how little mass we're arguing about for 6 pages... it won't even be a full bottle of ballast.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
How many HP did you start with?
I have a 2018 Suzuki sv650 that I'm setting up for track. Stock HP run is at 70.5 HP. With a full exhaust system, modified air box/filter, power commanded I'm at 76 hp. The 180 rear tire that replaced the 160 is 2.40 lbs heavier resulting in almost 3 HP loss.
I like the profile of the 180, seems to drop into corners easier, less effort, front end feels more planted. May go back to the 160, see what lap times tell.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:53 PM
DELETE ACCNT

I think a lot of people may have personal experience with this.

I have two fav climbs to test my 5 min and 10min power. I do them often, and try to best my PR w/ training wheels or race wheels.
The race wheels are noticably faster, even for these short efforts.
No other changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Good thing y'all are all 5% body fat and can keep your FTPs at 400+ watts all season since we're worrying about minutia.

Has anyone here ever actually rode A:B on the same bike with light wheels with ballast + heavy wheels so that the A:B both had the same total mass?

I can feel lighter wheels... to a point I agree they feel better.. but I sure have never ballasted a bike to do this test and it's so far down the list of things I am concerned about with performance it'll probably never happen.

But if you were to do it... it's be easy to do with an empty water bottle with the heavy wheels and then add water to the bottle equal to the weight difference in the wheels. Shows you how little mass we're arguing about for 6 pages... it won't even be a full bottle of ballast.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:27 PM

it is interesting that now based in that article, nobody wants to sell light wheels anymore?
Old 07-14-2020, 09:12 AM
cmg

Any one have a set of 50mm + clincher wheels for campy that less weigh less than 1400 grams for sale? now that they're worthless.....
Old 07-14-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
any one have a set of 50mm + clincher wheels for campy that less weigh less than 1400 grams for sale? Now that they're worthless.....
^^^^lmao
Old 07-14-2020, 09:39 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

I was at 5% in my racing days, even if I missed the 400W - hope you forgive me but I think Pantani was at that level.
I've done a lot of mountain tt in that time ( I never was any good at it)
At speeds you average in a TT up the stelvio or the Giau or the Pordoi, aero doesn't matter, a Kilogramm less on the package rider&bike nets you a few seconds per 100hm, which may be the difference between finishing before or behind your best mate and.trust me, that counts.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:03 AM

Yah all of you are faster with your race wheels.

But you won't be if you ballast the bike back to the weight of the training wheels.

That's the whole point of the entire thing.

Lighter frame would accomplish the same thing.