Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2020, 09:38 PM

Garage organization.

I discovered a recent shortage when I went to try to organize yard tools. I thought it would be easiest to pick up a slatwall system to organize shovels, rakes and gardening tools to help clear up space in my garage/workshop which will get renovated (and insulated) next so I have a place to build stuff and repair bikes and instruments and whatever else I drag thru the door. I went to Depot, they had one hanger for a rubbermaid system and one rail... nothing else except few bike hooks and cheap ladder hooks that only hold 15lbs, strike 1. Next I went to lowes, no hangers for rubbermaid/gladiator/craftsman although they did have the slats to mount on the wall. Strike 2.

I guess everyone around here has been buying stuff for organizing their garages so I guess I'll get creative and build one with some of the scrap wood leftover from my recent shed build. I built a barn/shed for a project when things shut down, belated thanks you to those here who helped with advice.

Anyone have some good ideas for organizing outdoor/garden tools beyond pounding nails into a 2x4? Somewhat modular is what I have in mind right now. It will go on the back wall perpendicular to the framed inside wall in the picture... sheep live on the closer side (now closed in). Pictures would helpful, for me, for inspiration if someone did something they like.

Just to keep things bike related, here is the door latch release inside the chicken run. I didnt have a spare Campy lever or carbon handlebar for it unfortunately... but I'll gladly take donations for that purpose.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 07-12-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:20 AM

No one here has organized their garage/shed? Surely someone uses something other than a piling system, like my garage.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:51 PM

Depending on the weight of your tools, this may or may not be suitable for you, but I used pegboard in our shed. Inexpensive and easy to reconfigure as necessary.

Very nice inside latch release, by the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4690C73A-3E8F-4255-B40C-D586DA810222.jpg (126.7 KB, 406 views)

Last edited by Joe; 07-12-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:56 PM

I bought a bunch of these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...stem/584428654 as they were the cheapest solution of the sort. I don't have anything unusually heavy, so they've been working fine for me.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:00 PM

I did Gladiator Slatwall and hooks back in May. I had to go to two different Lowe's and use Amazon in order to get everything though since no one place had that much stock. Overall I like the system quite a bit and it definitely cleaned up the look. I just used the 4' lengths, although supposedly they also have 8' lengths available. We already had drywall up in the garage, so in my case I just put it right over top.

While I was working on the garage, I also put in Swisstrax flooring and picked up a cabinet from NewAge (not shown in the photo).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slatwall.jpg (66.5 KB, 377 views)
Old 07-12-2020, 03:18 PM
Small ring

I am ashamed. I thought I had a nice garage.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:06 PM

Morgul, wowza. That is nicer than my guest room. Hah hah. I should probably do something about that.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:40 PM

Shovels, rakes, hoes only deserve a nail in my garage.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:02 PM
but not really

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul Bismark View Post
I did Gladiator Slatwall and hooks back in May. I had to go to two different Lowe's and use Amazon in order to get everything though since no one place had that much stock. Overall I like the system quite a bit and it definitely cleaned up the look. I just used the 4' lengths, although supposedly they also have 8' lengths available. We already had drywall up in the garage, so in my case I just put it right over top.

While I was working on the garage, I also put in Swisstrax flooring and picked up a cabinet from NewAge (not shown in the photo).
Nice garage and indoor training area. But, one broom and a bucket? That's not yard tools.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:39 PM

At my old house I built a shed. It was 1,500 square feet. Basically, a house. I'm gonna build another one at my next residence.

No bikes in the shed, which a friend dubbed "the aircraft hangar". It was for power tools, gardening tools, seedlings, beer, workbenches, fishing rods, washtubs, stereo system, table saw, tractor stuff, an awning to put the tractor under, etc.

This is the main section after framing, 24x48 feet. There's another 16x24 section to the left, and the awning covers the L shaped area between the two. The walls are 10 feet tall. The trusses for the two sections are up, but haven't been tied together yet.

Last edited by reuben; 07-12-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
Nice garage and indoor training area. But, one broom and a bucket? That's not yard tools.

Life in the Bay Area where yard tools and yards are luxury items
Old 07-12-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
At my old house I built a shed. It was 1,500 square feet. Basically, a house. I'm gonna build another one at my next residence.

No bikes in the shed, which a friend dubbed "the aircraft hangar". It was for power tools, gardening tools, seedlings, beer, workbenches, fishing rods, washtubs, stereo system, table saw, tractor stuff, an awning to put the tractor under, etc.

This is the main section after framing, 24x48 feet. There's another 16x24 section to the left, and the awning covers the L shaped area between the two. The walls are 10 feet tall. The trusses for the two sections are up, but haven't been tied together yet.

Living where I do, it’s hard to fathom having that much space. It sounds awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Your shed is bigger than my house... I should've made my shed bigger.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:06 PM
Small ring

Quote:

We call that a pole barn where I'm from.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:48 PM

I have to say that I loved it. Yeah, it cost me $$ in materials, but the vast majority of labor was my own or my friends. Only the plumber, electrician, and mason were paid on the up and up (some friends got cash).

I had many good hours in and around that "shed" - starting seedlings, listening to music, building various small things, etc.

It did a lot for my mental health, which is why I'm going to build or contract a similar one at my next house, if it doesn't already have something like that.

I used to cook sometimes under the awning, next to the tractor. Here's a chicken I cooked one night, strung up on rebar, cooking over random wood from the property.