Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2020, 06:56 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I might have to buy a new frame.
I have one of the new stuff incoming this month among other "new stuff". A new frame would do it all justice.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I have one of the new stuff incoming this month among other "new stuff". A new frame would do it all justice.
I don’t own anything with enough tire clearance to warrant a 32t 1x crankset.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:12 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I don’t own anything with enough tire clearance to warrant a 32t 1x crankset.
Well, you could! What size do you ride?
Old 07-06-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
The original name wasn't Vittoria S.p.A. It was different when it was founded in 53.
Really? The tire company might beg to differ.

From the Vittoria (tires, SpA, etc) website:
"Since 1953 Vittoria Industries Ltd. has built highly reputable partnerships within in the cycling industry and created a unique brand image."

From Wikipedia:
"Vittoria S.p.A. is an Italian bicycle tire manufacturer established in 1953. The company has more than 1000 employees around the world, produces 5 million road and mountain bike tires."

From any other online source:
"Vittoria...."

In their 60-year anniversary packets, only one name was mentioned: Vittoria.

The suffix may have changed with expansion into mtb (GEAX), the factory move to Thailand (Lion Tyres), and production explosion, but afaik the brand name/prefix was always called "Vittoria" and I recall seeing Vittoria branded tires before 1976 (Vittoria shoes).
Old 07-06-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Well, you could! What size do you ride?
My most comfortable bikes were a traditional 59cm Colnago and the large yeti. Both were/are set up with a 130mm stem. Ideally, the yeti would have a bit more reach and drop (140mm -17) for road riding but it feels right in more technical riding.

I’m thinking this would need to be a bit longer/slacker but that’s outside of what I’m used to.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
See: Roubaix
Consistent with what Mark said, the ROUBAIX mark (Reg. No. 1686272) was registered in 1992 and is owned by Specialized. http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfi...4802:lj3xg.4.7. Where the mark is used without Specialized’s consent in connection with bicycles or bicycle accessories, it could be infringing if the use is likely to cause consumer confusion as to source or origin or endorsement. Moreover, the ROUBAIX mark, at least with respect to bicycles, has developed what’s called secondary meaning. In other words, consumers have started to identify the mark with a specific product — a particular Specialized bicycle. However, I probably still could use the term “Roubaix” for other purposes — for instance, as the name of a restaurant in upstate NY that serves French food (note that the mark would not be used to identify geographic location of the restaurant, and merely would be suggestive of something being from or related to Roubaix). Notably, “Roubaix” is, or has been, used in marks for a number of other goods, including beer, textiles, hair coloring, etc. http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfi...h=Submit+Query

This is all very simplistic, as this is not the place for a discussion of the nuances of trademark law, but you might want to learn something about what you’re talking about before you get snippy and start arguing with someone who does.

Last edited by djg21; 07-06-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
The Daytona name was dropped due to NASCAR. Which is funny cause you can use a name if it's not in a related field. But they didn't want to deal with it so they dropped it.
Same for Talladega.
The whole Roubaix thing with Specialized was a different situation which of course they had no right to it anyways. Epic is another one that S tries to fight over.
The term “EPIC” actually is a strong trademark. “Epic” is a real word that has nothing to do with bicycles. The mark therefore is considered an “arbitrary” one, and arbitrary marks are afforded greater protections by the courts.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post

You are also missing the point.

Title of article in previous link:

"Specialized agrees to pay $700k for Roubaix trademark in the US"

Roubaix is a city in France. It's been around a lot longer than Daytona.
If you read the first sentence of the cited article, you'll see what the true point is:

"Specialized Bicycle has agreed to pay bankrupt Advanced Sports Enterprises $700,000 for rights to the Roubaix bicycle trademark in the U.S."

In other words, the trademark in question here pertains only to bicycles.

A quick google search shows that the Daytona brand is currently being used for motorcycle helmets, motorcycle components, beer and alcohol, a luxury hotel, and a hydraulic floor jack. As none of these are directly related to auto racing, I think it is unlikely that any of them have any relationship to NASCAR.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Chorus 12 rings are the same as Record and Super Record. Just as Chorus 11 rings are the same as Record and Super Record. Same SKU's.
Wait, this can't be right. According to the Campagnolo web page, Chorus 12 speed cranks have 123mm/96mm BCD, while Record & Super Record 12 speed cranks have 145mm/112mm BCD. This is why the smallest chainring for Record & Super Record 12spd is 34 teeth, whereas Chorus 12spd has a 32 tooth chainring
Old 07-06-2020, 08:15 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
The term “EPIC” actually is a strong trademark. “Epic” is a real word that has nothing to do with bicycles. The mark therefore is considered an “arbitrary” one, and arbitrary marks are afforded greater protections by the courts.
I don't disagree that "EPIC" is different. Which is why I mentioned S fights over this one. I own a couple trademarks. It's wild how specific it can be.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:23 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Wait, this can't be right. According to the Campagnolo web page, Chorus 12 speed cranks have 123mm/96mm BCD, while Record & Super Record 12 speed cranks have 145mm/112mm BCD. This is why the smallest chainring for Record & Super Record 12spd is 34 teeth, whereas Chorus 12spd has a 32 tooth chainring
I know the 11 speed is the same cause I just ordered rings and they are listed the same for all 3. I looked at the SKU's for the 12 speed. If it's different they have a serious typo on the pricelist. I will have to let them know tomorrow. The ones I just ordered were "Chorus" but are listed as "SR". I mentioned it to my guy and he told me they are the same for the Chorus, Record and SR 11 cranks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 9.19.15 PM.jpg (29.7 KB, 163 views)
Old 07-06-2020, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I know the 11 speed is the same cause I just ordered rings and they are listed the same for all 3. I looked at the SKU's for the 12 speed. If it's different they have a serious typo on the pricelist. I will have to let them know tomorrow. The ones I just ordered were "Chorus" but are listed as "SR". I mentioned it to my guy and he told me they are the same for the Chorus, Record and SR 11 cranks.
yea, for 11-sp they were the same, for 12, i think chorus is unique for now, offered in subcompact. i dont think you can fit the 48/32 rings on record or SR.

but what the future holds is.......
Old 07-06-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
According to the Campagnolo 2020 Spare Parts Catalog, that is correct for 11 speed - Super Record, Record & Chorus all use the same chainring part numbers. But for 12 speed, Super Record and Record share the same part numbers, but Chorus has a different set of part numbers.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:30 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
According to the Campagnolo 2020 Spare Parts Catalog, that is correct for 11 speed - Super Record, Record & Chorus all use the same chainring part numbers. But for 12 speed, Super Record and Record share the same part numbers, but Chorus has a different set of part numbers.
Thanks for letting me know. Cause their pricelist has a major typo!
Old 07-06-2020, 08:34 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
yea, for 11-sp they were the same, for 12, i think chorus is unique for now, offered in subcompact. i dont think you can fit the 48/32 rings on record or SR.

but what the future holds is.......
In the works. Technically they have something coming out on the 19th? of July, they have stuff coming out September 9th? I can't remember the August date. I know what's coming out just not 100% on the dates. Those are what I remember from the C Guys.