Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2020, 05:40 PM

Grease or Ti prep on a Ti seatpost on a Ti frame?

one of the nightmare i used to have on my old Ti bike was the creaking/slippage of the seatpost. That was one of the motivation which pushed me to get a Ti bike with ISP which was a wonderful choice.
Unfortunately new builder I chose doesn't build with ISP hence i am back with standard seatpost.
Which grease/carbon paste/anti seize u guys recommend to minimize slippage and creaking on a Ti frame with Ti posts?
Thanks
Old 06-28-2020, 05:48 PM
Vendor

Finish Line titanium prep. It's copper colored. I've never had an issue with it. I include it with bikes and frames I send out.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:03 PM

I’ve followed Butch’s advice to use grease going back to his Moots days:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...9&postcount=16

Some good discussions on the topic using this search (keyword “grease”; user name “butch”).

https://forums.thepaceline.net/searc...archid=4812215
Old 06-28-2020, 06:49 PM

Copper anti seize. Do waist money on bike stuff.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:57 PM

Grease

Another vote along with happycamper's for good quality grease (and not ti-prep) on a titanium seatpost in a titanium frame, both interfaces cleaned very well first, with no remaining grit or other residue*, as recommended by a different also very respected titanium framebuilder.

Ti-prep or anti-seize (and the correct one depending on the two metals) is fine on small bolts, etc., but is a real hassle on larger components.

Ti to ti = grease is fine.

*Edited to underscore: it is really important, no matter what product one uses, to remove the seatpost, clean it and the seattube area very well, and then re-grease at least once a year. Just as with the bottom bracket, etc. These things are not "set and forget" forever, and yet so many seem to do just that.

Last edited by Dino Suegiù; 06-28-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:01 PM

Copper anti seize, bike specific or otherwise. Little goes a long way, and don't get it near bearings.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:31 PM
Administrator

as i mentioned earlier today.

grease for me

but anything will work ok

the key is not to leave the post in the frame for 16 years.

mark it. pull it and inspect at least 2x per year.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Finish Line titanium prep. It's copper colored. I've never had an issue with it. I include it with bikes and frames I send out.

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2020, 07:36 PM

Thank you all. Seems equally split between grease and ti prep.
I use Ti prep on BB cups (when threading them into the BB shell) only and rest is all grease.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:45 PM

One thing to maybe note. Is the seat tube where the post goes in titanium? or does it have a carbon or fiberglass sleeve like some frames?
Old 06-28-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
One thing to maybe note. Is the seat tube where the post goes in titanium? or does it have a carbon or fiberglass sleeve like some frames?

All Ti

Old 06-28-2020, 08:36 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon View Post
Thank you all. Seems equally split between grease and ti prep.
I use Ti prep on BB cups (when threading them into the BB shell) only and rest is all grease.

The only time I've ever had a problem was when I used grease on a Moots ti seatpost in a Moots YBB Air. It was never ridden/raced in the rain. Always cleaned after each ride. Never crashed. It was my personal bike. So incredibly well taken care. I ran out of Finish Line ti prep after putting the head cups and bb in. I used Finish Line Teflon/Lithium grease on the post. After a month of riding I loosened it to do a saddle height adjustment and the post was stuck. I finally got it loose and it had black/dark colored marks on the post where grease obviously touched it. The marks were kind of thick, what I would call solidified grease. I've seen it before on other posts/bikes. This happened in 2003/2004. After that, I always made sure to have an extra can of ti prep around. And I include a tube of it with titanium frames.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
The only time I've ever had a problem was when I used grease on a Moots ti seatpost in a Moots YBB Air. It was never ridden/raced in the rain. Always cleaned after each ride. Never crashed. It was my personal bike. So incredibly well taken care. I ran out of Finish Line ti prep after putting the head cups and bb in. I used Finish Line Teflon/Lithium grease on the post. After a month of riding I loosened it to do a saddle height adjustment and the post was stuck. I finally got it loose and it had black/dark colored marks on the post where grease obviously touched it. The marks were kind of thick, what I would call solidified grease. I've seen it before on other posts/bikes. This happened in 2003/2004. After that, I always made sure to have an extra can of ti prep around. And I include a tube of it with titanium frames.

I am sold do you use same also when installing BB cups into the shell?

Old 06-28-2020, 09:30 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon View Post
I am sold do you use same also when installing BB cups into the shell?

I'm not trying to sell you on anything. Just listing my experience. I've never had an issue using that brands copper paste. NOW, I have had a couple issues using the Permatex silver paste. I've had a similar issue with the silver that I did with the grease.

Regarding how I apply it, I use a lot of it! I make sure there is plenty on the cups/threads and inside the bb shell. In the end, the stuff is relatively cheap. So I just apply a liberal amount to the parts.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:00 AM

Quote:
The only time I've ever had a problem was when I used grease on a Moots ti seatpost in a Moots YBB Air.
And yet Moots themselves (and other ti builders as well as many good mechanics) specifically recommend good grease on ti-to-ti.

I do not like anti-seize much because I can't stand the fact that it always seem to want to go everywhere and stick to everything, so if I only use a-s on small bolts when required. I have never had any issues with good grease combined with "proper bicycle hygiene" at almost all other component joins.