Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2020, 12:09 AM

Shimano road 12 speed?

Just curious if anyone has any info on a release date for 12 speed Dura Ace or Ultegra? Worth the wait?
Old 04-22-2020, 12:13 AM

Dura-Ace is supposed to come out this summer, but since all the big races are canceled, I think they will more than likely delay the release until the new groupset can gain publicity again. If no one can see them on new bikes until next year then there's really no point for them to release it now.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:44 AM

Big question for me is whether or not the cassettes will be compatible with existing freehubs. Yet another new standard isn’t something we need.

I have always liked having more gears. It’s only been a positive in my experience. Looking forward to what they show.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Big question for me is whether or not the cassettes will be compatible with existing freehubs. Yet another new standard isn’t something we need.

I have always liked having more gears. It’s only been a positive in my experience. Looking forward to what they show.
'Probably' not if XTR 12s is any indication. Who knows what's going on in these wacky times. I would be surprised if shimano DIDN'T release it. I'm sure some pro riders are riding with it now.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:25 AM
Administrator

i'm curious to see if they will adopt some sub compact chainring options for the actual road groups.

maybe a 48/32 or even 46/30 at ultegra level would be well received and liked, i'm certain.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
'Probably' not if XTR 12s is any indication. Who knows what's going on in these wacky times. I would be surprised if shimano DIDN'T release it. I'm sure some pro riders are riding with it now.
But only on Zwift!

Tim
Old 04-22-2020, 07:35 AM

The hubs will surely be microspline, so plan on new wheels. I wonder if microspline can even be made to fit 130mm spacing. If not, it will be disc only. Fulcrum already sells microspline wheels, but only disc, with wider spacing.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The hubs will surely be microspline, so plan on new wheels. I wonder if microspline can even be made to fit 130mm spacing. If not, it will be disc only. Fulcrum already sells microspline wheels, but only disc, with wider spacing.
I found that really interesting. So, shimano engineers can't figure out how to put a 12s cogset onto a 11s freehub body? Really? No doubt as shimano was selling 10s, they had their eye on 11s..and the same for 12s when they are all in on selling 11s..

Yup, I really doubt shimano will make a 12s group for rim brakes either. LIke sram, it'll be disc and mostly electronic, IMHO..and make 11s shimano road essentially obsolete.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 04-23-2020 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
that's an interesting proposition.

honestly, i doubt shimano is ready to dump rim brakes at the DA level, but who knows? Obviously you are correct though, that it's all tied together, and if you cant get a 130 spaced 12-sp road hub, rim brakes are out - and the flip side of that is; would it be worth their time to produce (or anyone to buy) 130 road specific rim brake wheels, when rim brakes are on life support as it is.

I'm still a die hard campy guy, but the line in the sand is about to be drawn cutting off the rim brake crowd.

le-sigh.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
Dura-Ace is supposed to come out this summer, but since all the big races are canceled, I think they will more than likely delay the release until the new groupset can gain publicity again. If no one can see them on new bikes until next year then there's really no point for them to release it now.
There's a lot of people with a lot of time on their hands right now though.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
There's a lot of people with a lot of time on their hands right now though.
right, and shimano has to be saving on their marketing budget with all the big races cancelled. maybe they'll divert some bucks to a more virtual marketing campaign and release this summer while we're all hanging out.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I fond that really interesting. So, shimano engineers can't figure out how to put a 12s cogset onto a 11s freehub body? Really? No doubt as shimano was selling 10s, they had their eye on 11s..and the same for 12s when they are all in on selling 11s..

Yup, I really doubt shimano will make a 12s group for rim brakes either. LIke sram, it'll be disc and mostly electronic, IMHO..and make 11s shimano road essentially obsolete.
SRAM sells an Etap AXS 12V rim brake group

Shimano could probably fit 12 cogs on their existing freehub, but not a 10t cog.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemdet View Post
SRAM sells an Etap AXS 12V rim brake group

Shimano could probably fit 12 cogs on their existing freehub, but not a 10t cog.
AXS is electronic only..

Want 12s, mechanical and rim and no new rear hub?->Campagnolo...
Old 04-22-2020, 10:21 AM

Without saying too much, the HG freehub body is on the way out, and the new Di2 is p cool.

\/\/\/ - dingdingding

Last edited by zzy; 04-22-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:50 AM

My understanding based on a friend who knows people having received non-denials is that the new group will be partially wireless. I hadn't heard any scuttlebutt about the freehubs. It would be nice if the new freehubs were backwards compatible.