Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2020, 05:35 AM

out of state riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTCaraco View Post
Feels deeply responsible and the right sentiment to respect the travel restrictions. There's been a lot of buzz throughout this period about the number of folks sheltering in VT. I realize this isn't novel, but it's an interesting question... Overall, I feel like our governor is on the ball in adjusting bit-by-bit, now opening by county in nearby states (deeming some safe for travel based on the rate of COVID).

More on-topic...
for the riding itself, I've been aspiring to get lost, taking turns on roads I've never pedaled before and navigating on instinct and with my phone/GPS-watch. I've enjoyed getting lost and found some beautiful (and challenging) routes (e.g. a 14% dirt road climb (per MapMyRide) that kicked my @$$).
Pre-covid I did multiple VT trips every year, either bikepacking or car camping and staying in campgrounds- the state parks are great. They have a clearly delineated policy on visitors, including things like testing and quarantine, depending, as you mention, on the infection rate in your county (rather than your state) and they include a link to a real-time heat map. If you are from a county with low infection (less than 400 active cases per million) you are good to go. If not, you can quarantine and/or get tested. In Maine all but a few counties are low, but unfortunately for me Cumberland County, where Portland is, is not. So this puts me out of it unless I quarantine. This is all self certifiable. I am within striking distance to drive out for a day ride but think that is not really in the spirit of the intent, since even if I take everything I need for food and water and dont stop anywhere there is a risk that I would encounter someone for whatever reason. Plus, if you read further down on the link below it is clear that they are discouraging out of staters, though they include a "but if you do.."

NH is a bit different, with just the quarantine requirement, but with allowances a for leaving the house for essentials and exercise. I scouted a couple of the campsites on a day ride recently and they simply had wash-hands-maintain-distance policies posted at the camp sites. Subsequently I checked on the website and found out about the quarantine requirement. In any case I am good here as we never go out for anything other than food and bike/run/walk. Last week we did a three-day bike camping trip on the tandem recently and we brought most of our food on the bike and enough water to get us there, with widefoot cages for 1.5 liter Nalgenes. I also carry a water filter. The campground had water but no showers or bathrooms, with vaulted toilets. Convenience stores are probably among the worst places to stop, though the pull of the candy bar or bag of chips can be pretty strong.

http://vtstateparks.blogspot.com/202...9-updates.html

https://www.nhstateparks.org/visit/campgrounds

Last edited by marciero; 06-30-2020 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:25 AM

I used to live in Bucks county so covered bridges and small farms were a familiar site on many rides. I still remember when a trash truck drove through and ripped the top off one bridge, and then some dumb kids set another one on fire. They were both rebuilt/repaired. I kind of miss seeing the bridges, and how they were all slightly different in construction, but plenty of nice riding here in VA too. I do remember that when going through them it always felt like a huge temp drop which was great in the summer. Ah, the good old days... nice ride Angry, thanks for posting.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Here's a route for a 110 mile ride in Parke County, IN that Doug Fattic mentioned above. It crosses over 25 covered bridges, and the rest of the 31 bridges in the county are within short walks from the route. Roads are mostly gravel, but there are a few short sections of state and Federal highway. Wish I had done this when I was capable of riding that distance.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33180570
Are you familiar with this area? I'd like to drive up from Louisville, leave my car somewhere, do about half this route, sleep in my hammock somewhere, then do the other half and end back at my car.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Are you familiar with this area? I'd like to drive up from Louisville, leave my car somewhere, do about half this route, sleep in my hammock somewhere, then do the other half and end back at my car.
I know the area in general as my grandmother lived about 30 miles away. I never rode there though. I was last there for a Farm Progress show decades ago, haven't been closer than the I-74 corridor since.

I did map a 55 mile loop from Mecca that looks like a nice 1 day ride, but I think for what you want to do, I'd start in Rosedale and stay overnight in Turkey Run State Park. I haven't checked into what the facilities are there, but I'd guess there are plenty of campsites and you might even be able to shower. I'll try to map both days' routes from a more southern starting point and see how the mileage works out for each day with an overnight in the park. There is an inn (built 1919), campgrounds, and cabins with bathrooms at Turkey Run. Unfortunately the swimming pool is closed due to the beer virus. Here's the first day's route of 57 miles:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33200625

Last edited by oliver1850; 06-30-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:37 PM

Wow. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2020, 03:03 PM

I love making routes through farm country.

Here is day two, 55 miles and 16 bridges if I counted correctly:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33200813

Turkey Run SP link:

https://www.turkeyrunstatepark.com/T..._Inn/index.htm

It appears that a room at the Inn can be reserved for $118, but you have to search around for a day that's not fully reserved. I haven't found a day with a cabin open to check pricing. I wonder if there would be more openings after Labor Day. I've been checking July-August so far. Seems that $118 is the cheapest room (whether Inn or cabin) and many rooms are already reserved as far ahead as December.

Last edited by oliver1850; 06-30-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
It's really more about the rain and near constant humidity of most of the eastern half of the USA than ice and snow. When you have layers of lumber (such as deck boards on top of structural beams), any moisture that gets into the interface simply doesn't go away in this climate.
It is not really about "more" as it is about where.
Trapped moisture is indeed extremely detrimental in humid climates.
Rain/snow/ice freeze-thaw cycling is equally extremely detrimental is freezing climates.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I love making routes through farm country.
Well, thanks for it! Thinking about doing this the first week of August (yeah, hot). A shower to wash myself and my bibs and two trees to suspend a hammock will do me. I'll see if I can speak to someone at INDNR and get the scoop on a spot at Turkey Run SP.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:59 PM

Cool thread and nice pics! I thought the Lancaster area looked close to home. I've got to get up there for that ride. Thanks for sharing the route AngryScientist.

We have a 3 bridge ride just south of the PA/MD border

https://ridewithgps.com/ambassador_r...overed-bridges
Old 06-30-2020, 10:01 PM

we need patches for all the fellow covered bridge bike enthusiasts

Old 07-01-2020, 08:29 AM
Administrator

That is one sexy bridge!

The problem with many covered bridges is they are in spots in the road that make it hard to get proper photos of them without a hike!
Old 07-13-2020, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Rallied for another metric, lots of new covered bridges, barns, fresh air and perfect roads yesterday.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:27 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Nice bunch of ride pics, @AngryScientist. Gorgeous weather, apparently!
Old 07-13-2020, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Nice bunch of ride pics, @AngryScientist. Gorgeous weather, apparently!
thanks, yep - weather was great in the AM, but really started to heat up in the afternoon, thankfully i started early and was off the road by noon.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:08 PM

I finally had a chance on November 1 to ride Parke County, IN. Many thanks to oliver1850 for sending me the route and helping me modify it several times. Definitely not one of the better weather days of the weeks before or even after (40-44F and 20-30mph winds), but it didn't rain. It was a great day of riding. Mostly gravel, a fair amount of chip seal, and a few short segments of pavement.

The covered bridges here aren't varied and are more humble than those posted from the northeast, but there's certainly a good number of them. We hit 13 in 55 miles yesterday.

Untitled by ColonelJLloyd, on Flickr