Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 07:37 AM

Did anyone see the trophy presentation with the robots? That was oddly funny hahaha
Old 07-13-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Gee, not a good week for Ferrari.

The last few laps were excellent. Wish Max didn't have that front wing issue and held off Bottas.

Norris is a breath of fresh air.
I think we are witnessing the birth of Lando the superstar. He stole the show at both races. Brought back memories of Hamilton/Kubica/Vettel/Verstappen's first races.

Not sure what Ferrari can do anymore. I'd let Vettel go ASAP and get someone fresh in there to reset the dynamics within the team. Leclerc had a go at Vettel clearly because he was trying to assert his #1 status. They should probably look to 2009 when they had the worst season start but eventually kinda/sorta turned it around. They dropped Kimi one year early as he was noticeably out of it – kind of where Vettel is right now.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:49 AM

Ferrari’s issue is their PU and the trick(s) they used previous years that are now a no go which leaves them in a bad spot that may take years to climb out of. 2020 and most likely 2021 will be very hard. I bet Sainz is kicking himself after seeing Ferrari’s performance, McLaren is on the upswing and now he’s leaving, bummer for him.

Renault are formally requesting that the RP20’s brake ducting be compared to last seasons Merc W10. Seems to be that if the internal design is close enough to the W10 that there was some IP shared between the two teams as that part couldn’t be copied from available pictures, which is how they say they designed their W10 clone. It’ll be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of the investigation.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtn View Post
I think we are witnessing the birth of Lando the superstar. He stole the show at both races. Brought back memories of Hamilton/Kubica/Vettel/Verstappen's first races.

Lando's last two laps. Very cool!

https://youtu.be/np8TpBjKziQ
Old 07-14-2020, 01:03 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Boy it sure is looking like Vettel has nowhere left to go.

I think I read every seat for next year is now under contract.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post

BK

In one of Vettel's interviews last year he gave the impression that if he retired right then and there he was totally fine with it. Seems doubtful with his competitive nature, but maybe he's getting that chance?

W.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post

BK
F1 driver employment is so funny, like musical chairs. When the music stops....oops who's without a seat?
Old 07-14-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post

This is way too cool. Too bad the actual ESPN broadcast does not have this feed.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:17 AM
PezTech

Vettel was dead at Redbull...

The guy had 4 years of traction control, and when the FIA put on the fuel flow sensors that would tell the world that the engine firing was retarded coming out of corners, Vettel got his ass kicked by 1st-year-at-Redbull Danial Ricciardo...

The guy unlearned FANTASTIC throttle control for 4 years...

The guy learned that he was KING for 4 years too...

Then reality set in and he became the biggest cry-baby in the sport and a genuine headcase when he couldn't handle pressure situations...

He's nowhere. And now he'll go to Lance Strolls daddy's team?

I LOVED Vettel when he was young... Redbull and that pompous pri(k Horner ruined him.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post

That is ACE. Got me palms all sweaty.

Vettel in the early days was very much like this. Perhaps Horner gave too much to him, maybe a healthy competition with Mark Webber would've made him stronger, but who really knows. Horner was under pressure to delivery, I think when it comes to driver status and tech support, Mateschitz, Marko and Newey all had significant influence. Had Mark not ****ed it up on the wet curbs in Korea 2010, he would've been WC that year and Vettel's career could've unfolded very differently.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:37 AM

I have never been impressed with Vettel's racing ability. He is a very fast driver when he has a good car and a clear track - of that there's no doubt - but he has never been good in wheel to wheel combat. He had so much time at the front of the grid with Red Bull when he could simply drive off into the distance that those skills, if he ever really had them, got severely blunted.

Some of his decision making when under pressure is questionable too. His move to drive into his teammate Raikkonen at the 2017 Singapore GP is a prime example. Raikkonen was no threat to him and would have moved over if need be but Vettel drove into him and Verstappen at the start and gifted a huge points haul to Hamilton.

Racing Point should stick with Perez.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
I have never been impressed with Vettel's racing ability. He is a very fast driver when he has a good car and a clear track - of that there's no doubt - but he has never been good in wheel to wheel combat. He had so much time at the front of the grid with Red Bull when he could simply drive off into the distance that those skills, if he ever really had them, got severely blunted.

Some of his decision making when under pressure is questionable too. His move to drive into his teammate Raikkonen at the 2017 Singapore GP is a prime example. Raikkonen was no threat to him and would have moved over if need be but Vettel drove into him and Verstappen at the start and gifted a huge points haul to Hamilton.

Racing Point should stick with Perez.

Vettel at BMW and Toro Rosso was impressive. I wasn't the biggest fan but thought he had as much talent as anybody else. He drove some good races from mid pack. I agree he didn't develop well at RBR, but then again with 4 titles under his belt, what more could a driver ask?

There was the moment when he crashed into the back of Webber when he was a junior at Toro Rosso. That was a total brain fart moment that in hindsight, might've been a sign of some sort.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtn View Post
Vettel at BMW and Toro Rosso was impressive. I wasn't the biggest fan but thought he had as much talent as anybody else. He drove some good races from mid pack. I agree he didn't develop well at RBR, but then again with 4 titles under his belt, what more could a driver ask?

There was the moment when he crashed into the back of Webber when he was a junior at Toro Rosso. That was a total brain fart moment that in hindsight, might've been a sign of some sort.
And the coming together with Webber in Turkey in 2010 that somehow saw blame apportioned to Webber when Vettel drove into him.

How about Baku in 2018 when he shoulder checked Hamilton with his car. How did Vettel ever think that would redound to his benefit even if he didn't damage his own car, which he did?

Far too many mental mistakes for someone being paid 30-40 million Euro to drive.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Far too many mental mistakes for someone being paid 30-40 million Euro to drive.
That’s my thinking on Vettel, mentally he has issues and tends to fall apart when he is under pressure, he’s not consistent. Being beaten by first year team mates, Danny Ric and now LeClerc, has again messed with his head. Maybe a fresh start at RP (current rumors going around) with Stroll as a teammate he can dominate will help him regain some confidence but it’s not a winning car...or more accurately not a championship winning car with Merc on the grid.

I’m not a Vettel fan, never cared for him at RB but I’m a Ferrari fan so I cheered for him while he’s been here but I’ll be glad to see him go.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:48 PM

Rumor is Vettel is in talks with Racing Point to become the face of the team when it becomes Aston Martin. Makes some sense, new team on the grid and what better way to make a splash than get a 4 time WDC