Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 08:32 PM

bought a set of wheels and they weigh more than advertised

front was specced to be 735 grams and rear was specced to be 825 grams = 1560.

damn good for alloy disc wheels. sorta why i wanted them.

when i weighed them on my gram-accurate postal scale they came out to 810 and 920 = 1730.

these from nationally known major US company.

had email conversation and they said thank you for letting them know and admitted it was a negligent mistake on their part. their words not mine. their remedy if i am unhappy is to send them back...to the German distributor from where they came.

no offer to solve the problem or provide real customer service.

would that bother you much?

Last edited by eddief; 01-20-2020 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:42 PM
aka RAEKWON

would it bother me? yes. would I keep them and ride them? yes as well.

I feel like there are a lot of this happening in the world of cycling, random weight figures.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:49 PM

That's enough of a discrepancy that I'd find another wheelset if I were purchasing them because of the weight.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:50 PM

Wow, that's pretty far off the stated weight though I'm not too surprised. I get your frustration and I would feel the same. Seems your remedy is to return for refund. Otherwise, what would 'an offer to solve the problem' look like to you? If you have a remedy in mind perhaps approach them with that as I suspect they'd prefer not to hassle with a return any more than you would.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:51 PM

I think you took this risk yourself when buying from Europe. I bought a set of wheels from Excel sports earlier this year that came in 150 g over weight and had straight gauge spokes instead of double butted, per the listing. I returned them and they paid for the return shipping. Sometimes there are upsides to buying domestically.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
front was specced to be 735 grams and rear was specced to be 825 grams = 1560.

damn good for alloy disc wheels. sorta why i wanted them.

when i weighed them on my gram-accurate postal scale they came out to 810 and 920 = 1730.

these from nationally known major US company.

had email conversation and they said thank you for letting them know and admitted it was a negligent mistake on their part. their words not mine. their remedy if i am unhappy is to send them back...to the German distributor from where they came.

no offer to solve the problem or provide real customer service.

would that bother you much?
Did you pay full retail? Do you race?
If no and no just ride. If "yes" to either than you have grounds for complaint.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:53 PM

i was happy as heck to finally get them from Starbike in Germany

I have no clue about their return process works. I am sure I could figure that out. Manufacturer could have offered to have them returned in the US or offer some sort of spif to create some goodwill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Wow, that's pretty far off the stated weight though I'm not too surprised. I get your frustration and I would feel the same. Seems your remedy is to return for refund. Otherwise, what would 'an offer to solve the problem' look like to you? If you have a remedy in mind perhaps approach them with that as I suspect they'd prefer not to hassle with a return any more than you would.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:55 PM

How does a wheelset randomly get 200 grams lighter from afar?

They took it back, that seems like great customer service
Old 01-20-2020, 08:56 PM
Riding Along

160 extra in the wheel grams..... 80,000 bike plus rider. grams...just roll with it. Unless you are getting paid to win races for a living its just noise. If you like the wheels you will never notice the difference. If it bothers you send them back and move on. No need to let this spoil you day.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
would it bother me? yes. would I keep them and ride them? yes as well.

I feel like there are a lot of this happening in the world of cycling, random weight figures.
I dont know what was paid for the wheels, or what shipping back would entail, both would be factors for me. I am thinking returning would be a headache, so while yes the weight difference would bother me a little, and the company response would bother me a little more, I'd just keep em and ride until that particular bike gets sold... it is the paceline forum and no (relatively few anyway) bike lasts forever in the bike lineups around here.
Post feedback for the company and move on. They arent worth worrying about.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:57 PM

two weeks ago i just bought the campagnolo bora wto 45 disc wheelset from uk. they were advertised at 1520 g. when they arrived, they weighed at 1640 g. life is too short to ride what i do not want. so, off the went back to the uk. i paid for the postage. this is a risk that i take when i buy stuff from overseas.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:00 PM

For sure I'm more sensitive to wheel weights being accurate, I would return these too.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:02 PM

Is it possible they weighed without skewers/axles and you weighed them with these "extra" parts?
Old 01-20-2020, 09:03 PM

these are thru wheels

they came with no parts and no rim strips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Is it possible they weighed without skewers/axles and you weighed them with these "extra" parts?
Old 01-20-2020, 09:08 PM

FWIW, I had a set of Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon wheels. They were claimed to be 1450g. Mine appeared to weigh more than that (1520g). I wasn't super happy about that fact.

It turns out after breaking out my gram scale and doing a little individual weighing of components, the "1450g" weight was the bare wheel weight (no rim strips). My bare wheels weight 1470g (within +2%). The stock rim strips weighed nearly 50g (25g f & r). Just changing to Stan's no tubes saved 37 grams.

In that particular case the wheels also came stock with tires and tubes. Small problem. Stock tubes were 130g each. So lighter tubes (~75g each) saved over 100 grams.

In total with just rim strips and tube changes, ~140g were shed from the wheels without much expense.

Not that this is your wheelset, just using it as an example to point out it is worth looking at where the weight really is.

EDIT: just saw your post above which looks like it was made as I was hacking out this message.