Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 05:38 PM

Record 11 question

Can post-2015 shift levers be retrofitted to work with pre-2015 bits.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:47 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post
I think that they are fine, Old Spud will chime in early in the morning and give you a definitive answer if no one else has by then. Send him a cup of coffee as thanks....Italian coffee.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:10 PM

Yes though over time they won't play quite as well together. But it's at the margins.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Yes but why? The only real difference is the take up spool dimensions..AND post 2015 levers work with pre 2015 ders..
Old 01-21-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yes but why? The only real difference is the take up spool dimensions..AND post 2015 levers work with pre 2015 ders..
Are you saying that the cable spools can be swapped between pre- and post- 2015 shifters? (Which presumably makes a pre-2015 shifter 100% compatible with post-2015 shifters?)
Old 01-21-2020, 07:27 PM

I used a newer "HO" Chorus rear derailer with 2014 Super Record levers and only had limited time to play with a cable anchor positioning modification, so when it went out the door I was less than happy with it's shifting uniformity and was not confident of it's ability to give a lengthy service interval between adjustments.
This was done for an 80-y-o rider who supplied both the bike and the new derailer, so I mentally somewhat washed my hands of it. The stated purpose was to use a larger cassette which was also provided. I have had no complaint about this work after perhaps eight months, the bike does get ridden often and it apparently works well enough (and there was no other relatively low-cost option to achieve the gearing reduction).
Old 01-22-2020, 06:16 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Are you saying that the cable spools can be swapped between pre- and post- 2015 shifters? (Which presumably makes a pre-2015 shifter 100% compatible with post-2015 shifters?)
Yes for the right, not for the left but no real need, as I mentioned. The LH shifter, 2015+, is a thumb button to small ring, PLUS another push for trim..The pre is more like ERGO from the 8/9/10s days.
Quote:
I used a newer "HO" Chorus rear derailleur with 2014 Super Record levers and only had limited time to play
Not identical but I have used 11s ders on an otherwise 2008 10s Record bike and it worked just fine and dandy..in spite of the dire 'warnings' from lots of people(including Campag, NA)...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-22-2020 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:52 PM

Last question Oldpotatoe; which shifters do you personally prefer knowing the guts of the levers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yes for the right, not for the left but no real need, as I mentioned. The LH shifter, 2015+, is a thumb button to small ring, PLUS another push for trim..The pre is more like ERGO from the 8/9/10s days.

Not identical but I have used 11s ders on an otherwise 2008 10s Record bike and it worked just fine and dandy..in spite of the dire 'warnings' from lots of people(including Campag, NA)...
Old 01-23-2020, 06:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Last question Oldpotatoe; which shifters do you personally prefer knowing the guts of the levers?
I prefer 2009+ SR/Record/Chorus...That shape and knowing the robustness of the innards. Nothing really to 'break', like pre 2009, no springs and spring carrier, for example. I've seen a few rusted thumb buttons and a broken carbon shift lever blade but nothing 'inside' that has broken.